Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

A Yorkshireman's Guide to Yorkshire

24 posts in this topic

It does tend to get the Ridings mixed up with the modern counties e.g. Harrogate is down as one of those "ace" places in the North Riding but it was never part of the North Riding. It might be in North Yorkshire but it was West Riding.

It also underplayed West Yorkshire. It's not all urban areas but any stretch of the imagination and although the Dales and North York Moors are better known, there are some equally attractive places in West Yorkshire.

Very funny article and comments.

I want to try the Hull Pattie experience. Forty years in Yorkshire and I never knew it existed.

:yes:

http://sabotagetimes.com/travel/a-yorkshiremans-guide-to-yorkshire/

pattie=fish cake

they call them that in Keighley as well

pattie=fish cake

they call them that in Keighley as well

Not according to some of the comments; it is potato and sage in batter.

Patties aren't unique to Hull, just about every chip shop in the North East and Cumbria sells them.

There are generally 4 varieties :-

Pattie - potato, sage & onion

Meat Pattie - potato, onion & either corned beef or mince

Cheese Pattie - potato, cheese & onion

Fish Pattie - potato & cod

I worked in Scarborough for several years and was ridiculed for ordering a 'cake' from the chippy. What I call a cake is what Derwent describes as a Pattie.

There's also the issue of what you call scraps, with some weirder parts calling them 'bits'. Not to mention 'do you want them open?' Which in proper English means 'to eat now'

And what about Lankies with the frankly mental 'pudding and chips' :D

Not according to some of the comments; it is potato and sage in batter.

It is indeed and if you get a good one they're bloomin' gorgeous.

It does tend to get the Ridings mixed up with the modern counties e.g. Harrogate is down as one of those "ace" places in the North Riding but it was never part of the North Riding. It might be in North Yorkshire but it was West Riding.

It also underplayed West Yorkshire. It's not all urban areas but any stretch of the imagination and although the Dales and North York Moors are better known, there are some equally attractive places in West Yorkshire.

Doncaster was in the West Riding but in South Yorkshire.

BARLA seems to have built it's infrastructure on Yorkshire .

Patties aren't unique to Hull, just about every chip shop in the North East and Cumbria sells them.

They don't count if they haven't been lovingly hand crafted by a time served Hessle Road Pattie Slapper.

Don't get me started on this. It really niggles me that some of the most beautiful parts of the East Riding, such as Thixendale, are now in the North Yorkshire administrative area.

If it's in the area bounded by the Derwent it's in the East Riding, simple.

Don't get me started on this. It really niggles me that some of the most beautiful parts of the East Riding, such as Thixendale, are now in the North Yorkshire administrative area.

Thixendale is in the Wolds, not the Moors, and the two areas have a definitely distinct 'feel' to them.

Thixendale is in the Wolds, not the Moors, and the two areas have a definitely distinct 'feel' to them.

Spot on.

Do you know it? I love the place (apart from cycling up the long 1 in 6 hills to get home again).

Do you know it? I love the place (apart from cycling up the long 1 in 6 hills to get home again).

Only been there a couple of times, years ago, when we put on a concert in the village. It feels strangely cut off from the outside world.

There are some areas there where I wish the government would get a move on in copying Scotland's wild camping laws.  A weekend away in a tent somewhere there or a week or two with just a backpack wandering the area would be a very welcome break from civilisation.

Only been there a couple of times, years ago, when we put on a concert in the village. It feels strangely cut off from the outside world.

They didn't have terrestrial TV until the 1990s because of the way the village lies so deep in the dale.

They don't count if they haven't been lovingly hand crafted by a time served Hessle Road Pattie Slapper.

The word pattie seems somewhat redundant in that sentence.

The word pattie seems somewhat redundant in that sentence.

The words of a brave man.

Or one at a safe distance  ;)

I have to say that it is news to me that North Yorkshire contains any of the old East Riding. I thought the East Riding in its entirety went over the old Humberside county.

I worked in Scarborough for several years and was ridiculed for ordering a 'cake' from the chippy. What I call a cake is what Derwent describes as a Pattie.

There's also the issue of what you call scraps, with some weirder parts calling them 'bits'. Not to mention 'do you want them open?' Which in proper English means 'to eat now'

And what about Lankies with the frankly mental 'pudding and chips' :D

Open or wrapped? It's simple.

Bits and scraps seemed to be interchangeable in Harrogate in the 80s. Nobody would pick you up for using the "wrong word".

In Lancashire, they had "scallops" which seemed quite similar, a sort of pattie / cake type thing with potato inside.

I have to say that it is news to me that North Yorkshire contains any of the old East Riding. I thought the East Riding in its entirety went over the old Humberside county.

North Yorkshire contains a large area of the northern end of the East Riding south of the Derwent (that's all of the cardinal compass points covered). The current East Riding of Yorkshire council area is based on what was 'North Humberside'. It includes Goole for example, which was in the West Riding.

In Lancashire, they had "scallops" which seemed quite similar, a sort of pattie / cake type thing with potato inside.

In Rochdale, a fritter/scallop was a thick slice of potato (not mash) covered in batter and fried.

Very good they were too.  Can't remember the last time I saw one on a price list though.

Scallop - collop in Leeds and surrounding area.  Isn't a pattie fish and mash mixed and fried in batter?  And isn't what we in the West Riding call a fishcake (fish between two slices of potato and fried in batter) called a fish sandwich in Hull? As for scraps - they're certainly scraps in Leeds, bits in the Huddersfield area (there's even a chippy at Mirfield called "Wi' Bits" ) and thanks to my days as a plastic Wiganer - scratchings in Wigan.

As for the Ridings, the term West Riding which when I was a kid was ubiquitous has almost disappeared except for signs around Clitheroe and Saddleworth saying "Historic West Riding of Yorkshire."   The one place the ridings haven't disappeared from is Brid - you see East Riding Council everywhere - good for them.

If you went to Scarborough from Leeds before 1974, you travelled to York through the West Riding, then through York which wasn't in any riding, then you entered the North Riding until you got to Malton and crossed the Derwent and entered Norton and the East Riding, you crossed again into the North Riding before getting to Scarborough, but I'm not sure just where - somewhere around Seamer?  Scarborough now includes Whitby which was in the North Riding and Filey which was in the East Riding.