Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bomballey

Saints Situation....

91 posts in this topic

Looks like pretty tough going at Saints right now.... What's the view on Nathan Brown & the prospects for the rest of the season?

Looks like pretty tough going at Saints right now.... What's the view on Nathan Brown & the prospects for the rest of the season?

He shouldn't of even got the job, and there prospects look pritty poor :P

He shouldn't of even got the job, and there prospects look pritty poor :P

Not much more needs to be said really does it :laugh:

Its how faithful the faithul are, when Wigan slumped it didn't affect attendance, will Saints support do the same, Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Its how faithful the faithul are, when Wigan slumped it didn't affect attendance, will Saints support do the same, Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Some of us have to be. :sleep:

Some of us have to be. :sleep:

Sideline, off thread.

Just got back from Crete, you'll probably hate me for mentioning this.

Is there a 'Saints situation'? They're not as good as they used to be; they might just have to get used to it. As far as I know, they're relatively financially secure. In fact, the future looked very bright with a few excellent young players coming through until very recently - I think they started to panic and 1/2 have drifted away now.

As for the fans, this place used to teem with gloating Saints fans and most of them have cleared off now.

Bradford supporters walked, I think Western fans are more resilient to poor performance on field..

Oh no....

Exiles.v.England

calls for Yorkshire.v.Lancashire to return

Now that will trigger Easts.v.Wests (state of compass match)

Is there a 'Saints situation'? They're not as good as they used to be; they might just have to get used to it. .

If you total all silverware then Saints are still the most successful team in the superleague era, we are also the second most successful team in the history of the sport (second only to Wigan).  We haven't been out of the top five for yonks (ie even before superleague!).  So yes, there is a Saints situation.  When a club that is consistently competing at the top end of the table (even before superleague!) suddenly, in a single season, looks like it may not even be in the top HALF of the table, then there is a situation.  It's not a crisis that is imminent demotion (which is impossible from superleague just now) or imminent administration (so far as I'm aware!) but it is still a situation.

Sideline, off thread.

Just got back from Crete, you'll probably hate me for mentioning this.

Tried to PM this as it is off topic, but I think your inbox is full, so here is my reply.

Hope you had a good time. I don't hate you for mentioning it, I'm off there in just over three weeks and I'm staying for five weeks. You'll probably hate me for mentioning that. ;)

We must catch up some time. GF perhaps?

the only situation at saints is that some players need to be cleared out, and a new coach installed, how on earth can brown justify playing a second row and an ageing full back in the halves against some teams this season. perry, puletua, meli, wellens, wilkin, hohaia, need to be shown the way to salford before they sink any lower, i have never seen such a poor saints team as this one, even with injuries in the past they have performed. but this season it just isn't there. i live in the town and get the impression that the fans are getting sick and tired of being served up with the poor standards this season but like all good fans they will stand by the team.....................but for how long

try being a widnes fan in the late 90's now that was a dire team, but i have had my season ticket, membership for 30 years and attend almost every game every season, and i have many friends who are saints fans and they have the same attitude as me..............stick with the team through good and bad and from brilliance to abyssmal.

If you total all silverware then Saints are still the most successful team in the superleague era, we are also the second most successful team in the history of the sport (second only to Wigan). We haven't been out of the top five for yonks (ie even before superleague!). So yes, there is a Saints situation. When a club that is consistently competing at the top end of the table (even before superleague!) suddenly, in a single season, looks like it may not even be in the top HALF of the table, then there is a situation. It's not a crisis that is imminent demotion (which is impossible from superleague just now) or imminent administration (so far as I'm aware!) but it is still a situation.

My post wasn't a dig. It's just so strange to see a Saints side so flat & not as intimidating as in previous years.

They've inflicted years of beatings against my boys home & away..... Next week looks interesting

Tried to PM this as it is off topic, but I think your inbox is full, so here is my reply.

Hope you had a good time. I don't hate you for mentioning it, I'm off there in just over three weeks and I'm staying for five weeks. You'll probably hate me for mentioning that. ;)

We must catch up some time. GF perhaps?

Just off to clear my inbox.

yes you have just done me, with that one. [sulkmode]rsten frassen rick rastedly[/sulkmode]

Enjoy, I know you will.

My post wasn't a dig. It's just so strange to see a Saints side so flat & not as intimidating as in previous years.

They've inflicted years of beatings against my boys home & away..... Next week looks interesting

Oh, you'll win.  Of that I am certain.

Is saints wage bill based on prize money as opposed to gate money, if it assumed that you can keep on pulling in prize money than if they go nowhere than they could have a financial gap.

I suspect, hope, that is not the case with Mcmanus in charge.

They've had a few injuries though haven't they?

From only a few weeks of (admittedly heavy!) exposure to NRL, I can advise that they've made 2 excellent signings for next year anyway in Walsh and Masoe (sp?) from Penrith. Probably the 2 best players on the pitch in tonight's Panthers-Dragons game. Walsh always wants his hands on the ball and has a good kicking game (great goal kicking stats too) and Masoe is a barnstorming runner. Not really sure how the Panthers have let those 2 slip, tbh. Bit depressing for the rest of Super League that they're bolstering an already big side and I think both will be surprised at the low standing of the game over here. But fair play to Saints for nabbing them and slightly bucking the trend of the SL player drain to NRL.

From only a few weeks of (admittedly heavy!) exposure to NRL, I can advise that they've made 2 excellent signings for next year anyway in Walsh and Masoe (sp?) from Penrith. Probably the 2 best players on the pitch in tonight's Panthers-Dragons game. Walsh always wants his hands on the ball and has a good kicking game (great goal kicking stats too) and Masoe is a barnstorming runner. Not really sure how the Panthers have let those 2 slip, tbh. Bit depressing for the rest of Super League that they're bolstering an already big side and I think both will be surprised at the low standing of the game over here. But fair play to Saints for nabbing them and slightly bucking the trend of the SL player drain to NRL.

Both Walsh and Masoe were released by Penrith as they were no longer wanted at the Club.

Both Walsh and Masoe were released by Penrith as they were no longer wanted at the Club.

Yes I know. That was my point.

Brown used to coach Penrith didn't he so I assume he still has contacts there and got the inside nod on these two.  I think Penrith are letting a few go to release cap space and I'm not sure the two we have signed have settled under the coach who I think is relatively new?  I may have got that bit confused though.  I don't know much about Penrith even though I've been watching the NRL regularly since Premier Sports started showing the games.

Sia Soliola is a good friend of Masoe so that was a factor in persuading him to come to Saints, or so he himself says anyway!  It's good that both Masoe and Walsh are young (24 and 26 respectively) and only signed on two year deals, allowing them to settle but not hog-tying us as we have been with Hohaia.

We need more than these two players though.  A wholesale change in culture at the club would probably bring the greatest benefit.

brown was at st george before he came to england.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on both of these players Andy, and also what the general opinion of them is over there?

They certainly look like excellent signings, and after they were the two key men in Penrith's victory this weekend it seems strange (though very generous) that they've been released from their contracts to join us.  I'm guessing that Saintslass is right and they need to save some space on the cap?

brown was at st george before he came to england.

Ah right.  I thought it was Penrith for some reason.

Ah right. I thought it was Penrith for some reason.

St Helens coach Nathan Brown admitted his side's performance was "the most disappointing" since he arrived at Langtree Park as they slumped to a 24-12 defeat against Hull KR.

Rovers scored three tries in the opening 20 minutes as they established a 16-0 lead at half-time and there was no way back for Saints after that as they suffered their first home loss against the Robins since 2009.

Brown, who took charge of Saints after leaving Huddersfield after last season, said: "I can't fault our effort but we never got in the contest and it was our most disappointing performance since I've been here."

One of the pieces following yesterday's game - and who wants to travel to Wheldon Lane when you are in that kind of form especially when the beast is back....??! (Cheek tongue in.....)