Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TaxiEgg

Contracted Pros in NCL (revisited)

36 posts in this topic

As you know, no

Which player you talking about and i'll look at the database?

Is a pay as you play player not classed as a professional as he is receiving payment for playing ?

It is my understanding if he doesn't have an active contract (full-time/part-time or pay as you play) lodged with the RFL he isn't considered a professional. Therefore he is able to turn out for a community club once he has filled in an Open Age Registration form which has to be approved by the Competition Administrator on the RFL database, verifying that he is no longer a registered professional. 

Previously players on Terms and Conditions registration (payments only to cover expenses) have always been allowed to play for their community clubs, however it is my understanding that terms and conditions registrations within the pro game no longer exist as they previously did. Now I believe players either have to be contracted or registered as trailists (for a limited period). 

If a pro/semi-pro player wishes to cancel his contract, this must be done with the mutual consent of both the player and professional club. This can be done by both parties contacting the Operations Department at the RFL, once this has been done and confirmed, then the player is then free to be registered back within the community game.

I have had a fair bit of experience in dealing with these situations and if any club is looking to do this I would advise that they make sure all the procedures are followed correctly, all paperwork is in place, confirmation emails have been received from the RFL Operations department that the player is a free agent, a registration is filed and clearance has been received from the Competition Administrator before fielding any player.

Sometimes the professional clubs realise it may have been a mistake to release a player from their contract playing Championship Under 23 rugby as other clubs quickly come sniffing around players doing well in the NCL and invite them back to play first team rugby and re-register the player on a professional contract, this may give the impression to some that don't know the ins and outs of specific cases that teams in the NCL may have been playing registered professionals when in fact they haven't.

Is a pay as you play player not classed as a professional as he is receiving payment for playing ?

Is that with a Championship club or an NCL club? ;)  

2.2        That the game be played and controlled by amateur players clubs and officials NCL

OP2.1   A Professional Player is not allowed to register with the National Conference League until all contractual arrangements are completed or otherwise terminated by mutual consent of both the player and Professional Club, full details of which to be confirmed in writing with this League at the time of registration

Surely its a simple case if you receive payment then you are a professional and as a professional even on a PAY as you play CONTRACT then under the NCLs rules then they then can not participate in any game administered by the Ncl.

Why is RL in this country becoming so difficult to understand ?

What's wrong with NCL clubs paying their players IF they can afford it or have a benefactor who will foot the bill? Isn't this one of the reasons why disenchanted ex pros give the game up completely? I'm not suggesting signing mercenaries just for the sake of it but everyone knows there are players in the "amateur" game who get paid.

What's wrong with NCL clubs paying their players IF they can afford it or have a benefactor who will foot the bill? Isn't this one of the reasons why disenchanted ex pros give the game up completely? I'm not suggesting signing mercenaries just for the sake of it but everyone knows there are players in the "amateur" game who get paid.

Why not name our game the semi professional rugby league and get rid of the amateur all together ? The end of the amateur game as we know it is on its way out in the very near future. The RFL get there own way as always in the master plan. I personally am not willing to collect subs and raise funds to pay out to 1 or 2 players at the detriment of the rest of our club. 

I think it's hilarious that the reason we broke away from the RF Union in the first place was this very issue. Now RU clubs at any level can pay who they want and yet we are obsessed with this amateur/professional status issue.

Why not name our game the semi professional rugby league and get rid of the amateur all together ? The end of the amateur game as we know it is on its way out in the very near future. The RFL get there own way as always in the master plan. I personally am not willing to collect subs and raise funds to pay out to 1 or 2 players at the detriment of the rest of our club. 

That's your choice, and ultimately you could well have the better long term strategy.

And that would be your's and your club's prerogative. I'm not suggesting it's compulsory to pay any of your players. At the end of the day money doesn't make you a better player.

I thought anybody could play for anybody in Rugby League these days? or is that just if it suits the Super Greed clubs??

was that not the reason pro clubs got rid of a teams and many have only U21 teams, expecting community clubs to play recovering pros.

If the NCL clubs do play them, then I reckon the pro club should pay the match subs for both clubs involved in the fixture

The slippery slope awaits most teams who decide to pay players. Why do some teams who are not even in the top flight consider paying individual players? Are they mad? Why would players who aren't getting paid give 100%? Why wouldn't the unpaid players say "let the one/s getting paid do the work".

Baffles me!

Why do some teams who are not even in the top flight consider paying individual players? Are they mad? Why would players who aren't getting paid give 100%? Why wouldn't the unpaid players say "let the one/s getting paid do the work".Baffles me!

Totally agree.

I used to hear the same statement from RFL reps at RLC meetings.

Not a further thread on Summer Rugby , and I found my answer in the rules it just seems that no body else is bothering to adhere to them .

Its that old thing called apathy .

If you know of clubs/players that are breaking the rules then raise your concerns with the league and let the the powers that be deal with the offenders or come out and name them and give them the opportunity to defend themselves. I'm not sure insinuations on here are they way forward.

I was told on saturday that one name being mentioned was Anthony Bate, they were saying he is contracted to Leigh and played a couple of games for Thatto. This information did not come from Taxi Egg but another source.

I had a feeling that was where he was going with it to be honest and if you look back to be response earlier in the thread the situation I am using as an example was that of Anthony Bate.

Anyone with half an ounce of sense would have realised this and also that everything was done by the book and just given up then rather than continue to besmirch the integrity of players/clubs and the competition overall.

If this is what he wants though, I will put the chain of events on record for the sake of transparency.

Anthony was playing at Leigh in the U23's competition on a pay as you play contract. Without going into the details of why as that is a matter for the player, he began to think that it wasn't worth his while being contracted to play in that competition so requested to be released from his contract on 28th May.

On the 29th May at 18:41hrs I sent an email to David Lowe requesting clarification on the player's registration status.

David Lowe then forwarded this to Justine Saxton in the Operations Dept. at the RFL at 21.52hrs.

On the morning of 30th May at 08.38hrs Justine responded to David confirming that the player had been released. 

David Lowe forwarded me the email at 08.48hrs the same day. At 09.18hrs I responded to David and explained that I would submit the completed registration forms when I got home from work, which I duly did.

Anthony played in the game against Siddal on June 1st where I presume Halifax were watching were rumoured to be sniffing around. Anthony also played in the game on 8th June against Leigh Miners Rangers. 

Obviously keen to keep the clutches of a rival Leigh then selected him to play for them in the NRC Cup Quarter Final with Whitehaven and has presumably since signed another contract with Leigh Centurions where he has been ever present in the first team. Anthony has not played for Thatto Heath Crusaders since the game with Leigh Miners on 8th June and although his brief return to Thatto Heath was  it was nice while it lasted we wish Anthony all the best in the semi-pro game.

I can't wait for the next instalment of your smear campaign Taxi Egg!

do west hull still pay? I heard when they were at their peak in the 90/00 some players were getting more than at some pro clubs!

Statto you need to be careful in what you are saying , where is the smear campaign ?

I asked a question that was asked of me , I have read the rules and highlighted in an earlier post .

Now if you have an evidence of a smear campaign then back it up or retract the accusation .

I,m sorry but is this not a forum ?

You  have on paper done everything correct  and you and your club should be applauded , for the record I have nothing against your club which can be verified by several members of your committee and coaches who I am in regular contact with and indeed your club chair who I had a good conversation with the other day , so sorry Statto your way off the mark .

was that not the reason pro clubs got rid of a teams and many have only U21 teams, expecting community clubs to play recovering pros.

If the NCL clubs do play them, then I reckon the pro club should pay the match subs for both clubs involved in the fixture

We where also told it would be up and coming under 20's playing in the championship not your Morley's and Co.