Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roughyhead true

Where have all the fans gone

89 posts in this topic

Are there more fans now or less. Certainly less in my town. 20 yrs ago union was amateur football was violent and cricket was awful. Things have changed? Or is it purely international games that don't seem to have the same crowds.

Increased mobility means fans whose local team are poor will travel to watch a less local team that play well, in addition many people have fewer ties to the area they live in than previous generations and will therefore form alliances further afield.

Super league crowds appear to be holding up. Below that it's bloody woeful.... generally speaking.

This isn't a prrompt for another inquest as to why.

International crowds are far less than they were twenty yrs ago... again, reasons why have been done to death.

There is nothing wrong with Rugby League on the field. In my opinion its poor match day marketing that is letting the game down.

You mention cricket. In 1975 I watched all 5 days of the Lords test v Australia (Lillee and Thomson) just by queing up and walking in - and the last 2 days were not more than a third full. Try that these days!

The golden age of cricket watching certainly wasn't then, more like now or maybe 5 years ago.

RL I think is also doing fine compared to then, and footy is miles up on crowd sizes.

There are decreasing numbers if away fans

Which is why I always say you can't base your ability to financially compete on away support, its your core home support that pays the bills.

The fans haven't gone, they have moved clubs.

Are there more fans now or less.

More, the basic change seems to be fans want to watch a higher standard of sport and will travel to watch it.

This is in line with League Expresse's 1996 observations on why we needed Superleague.

Small championship clubs gates have halved since SL started, large SL clubs gates have doubled.

Like I said earlier, 25 years ago there were more people that felt part of a Dewsbury community or a Swinton community. Now many of the people living in these areas have few ties other than affordable housing in a commutable area. If clubs want to attract these potential spectators they will have to work much harder than they do now. International crowds went through a short lived boom due to Maurice Lindsay and a Wigan side that gave us hope of beating Aus, they have returned to normal

There are decreasing numbers if away fans[/quote

This is definitely correct. I'd put this down to Friday/Monday night football and rising ticket prices (I also think this limits the number of 'walk-up' fans.)

Wakey usually bring a few more but who can blame families not travelling on a Monday night with the game on Sky and the kids at school the next day.

Which is why I always say you can't base your ability to financially compete on away support, its your core home support that pays the bills.

The fans haven't gone, they have moved clubs.

Although I moved clubs in 1980, most fans don't.  Fans die, get old and incapable of attending, they are replaced (hopefully) by new fans.  As a young kid if you live say in Hindley Green, or Shelf, or Hunslet, or Sharlston and you see Wigan, Bradford, Leeds or Wakey regularly on TV who are you going to support?  Leigh?  Halifax? Hunslet? Fev?  Thats what kids do.  They have role models when they play games.  And those role models are more likely to be teams that are in the headlines. My lad's a Fev fan, probably because I am, but also because at the time he was starting to take notice of sport and RL in particular they won the Challenge Cup.  That's why there are so many Man U fans all over the country. Man U are famous.  Oldham Athletic aren't. 

Are there more fans now or less. Certainly less in my town. 20 yrs ago union was amateur football was violent and cricket was awful. Things have changed? Or is it purely international games that don't seem to have the same crowds.

Hornets v OIdham 26th December 1989 Attendance 8,150.

Oldham v Hornets 29 March 20-13 Attendance 664.

Progress?

Oldham v Hornets 29 March 20-13 Attendance 664.

Progress?

Wow that it's a sad statistic and deeply worrying for the game.

Progress?

North Wales v Rochdale 30th June 2013 Attendance 1,086

EDIT: 809 at Rochdale v Hemel, so that match managed to draw more of a crowd than the local derby

Progress?

A record attendance set at a Boxing Day derby match during a rare promotion season is hardly the 'norm' though is it?

The forces at play are bigger than our game:

TV exposure of elite competition, demographic changes, advances in transport infrastructure, where people live and work, how they spend their time and what they spend their money on in the 2nd decade of the 21st Century...

The game has to make friends with and hitch a ride with these forces of change.

A record attendance set at a Boxing Day derby match during a rare promotion season is hardly the 'norm' though is it?

No - but useful to compare the maximum achievable with the current situation. Somewhere in the middle (a median of 4,400-ish) is still an awful lot more than 600-odd.

No - but useful to compare the maximum achievable with the current situation. Somewhere in the middle (a median of 4,400-ish) is still an awful lot more than 600-odd.

Indeed.

My personal view is that the RFL need to chill the **** out and stop tinkering now.  Maybe add some more teams to the mix in C1 in due course, maybe reduce SL to 12 and balance the two divisions below but *essentially* now let the clubs know they are where they are & what they have to work with.  I came back to RL only 14 years ago - how many variations in the semi-professional set-up have there been in that time - four?  There's virtually no way any club can build (or even re-build) in those circumstances.

I live in York, but all I ever see are Leeds Rhinos car stickers..

When you next see one, knock on their window and tell them to come down on Thursday night. Chances are they were there in 2005 anyway...

I don't understand why Hornets' crowds are so poor given the numerous savings initiatives for supporters that the club introduce during the season. The current five-game offer with all its add-ons is brilliant value for money.

This season we're actually doing ok on crowds comparable with other clubs in the division. The 800-odd against Hemel was particularly pleasing off the back of a promotion, and co-operatives day. Was the biggest attendance in our division and bigger than four in the division above (which is an indictment of how the Championship is basically 2 leagues of SL aspirants and 'relegation avoidists'. Swinton and Hunslet regularly get 400-odd, which we're probably on a par if not ahead of this year. And we attracted 1,500-ish to our 'Battle with the Cattle' cup game against bradford. Compare that with 600-odd at Doncaster for the NRC semi-final and we're nowhere near that embarrassing).

So on the crowd front, we're doing ok and ahead of forecast, I think - certainly better than the 190/200-odd that's common in KPC1. Clearly, having to play six consecutive games away from home every year because of Spotland's 'essential maintenance' kills any momentum we build up. And that's a bigger issue.

Who's to blame though?

This season we're actually doing ok on crowds comparable with other clubs in the division. The 800-odd against Hemel was particularly pleasing off the back of a promotion, and co-operatives day. Was the biggest attendance in our division and bigger than four in the division above (which is an indictment of how the Championship is basically 2 leagues of SL aspirants and 'relegation avoidists'. Swinton and Hunslet regularly get 400-odd, which we're probably on a par if not ahead of this year. And we attracted 1,500-ish to our 'Battle with the Cattle' cup game against bradford. Compare that with 600-odd at Doncaster for the NRC semi-final and we're nowhere near that embarrassing).

So on the crowd front, we're doing ok and ahead of forecast, I think - certainly better than the 190/200-odd that's common in KPC1. Clearly, having to play six consecutive games away from home every year because of Spotland's 'essential maintenance' kills any momentum we build up. And that's a bigger issue.

Not too bad at all then! I guess that next season could be the real 'hard sell' for Hornets if you don't get promoted this season and then there's no promtion to the championship/Super League 2 next year due to league re-structuring.