Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrFussy

Salford sign Francis Meli

48 posts in this topic

It's been confirmed that Salford have signed Meli on a one year deal. 

Not a bad signing really, he's still playing pretty well.  I think the time was right for us to part ways with him though.

I'm grateful to him for his time with us and wish him well for the future.

I would love to see him sign for Catalans

I can't work out which team would be the happier.

Think your talking bs, he's easily been the best Saints player in the past 2-3 years. 

Even when they haven't played well he's got them out of trouble on plenty of occasions. 

Great signing for Salford and shows serious intent.

He gets a lot of stick. According to the Rugby League Project, he's scored 8 tries in 13 appearances so far this year which, for a rather off-key St Helens side, isn't too shabby.

Think your talking bs, he's easily been the best Saints player in the past 2-3 years. 

Even when they haven't played well he's got them out of trouble on plenty of occasions. 

I think he's one of the old guard who stayed too long. He has his moments, but he also has his moments.

He's been good for us but easily been our best player for 2-3 years??

He gets a lot of stick. According to the Rugby League Project, he's scored 8 tries in 13 appearances so far this year which, for a rather off-key St Helens side, isn't too shabby.

He's never had trouble finding his way to the line and I'd still rate him as one of the best finishers in the league.  If he's a direct replacement for Jodie Broughton though then I'm not sure he's an improvement.

Think your talking bs.

Are you thinking of Francis' brother Roger?

He's the one that talks boll ocks.

Is that reference NSFW?

He's not a replacement for Broughton, as such. Jodie has chosen to move on, so there's no point comparing.

Taken on his own merits, Meli will be a very good signings and another typical Noble players. There's still loads of stories flying round about new signings and I, for one, am feeling enthused.

If Jodie is going, we will still need another winger as I'm not at all convinced by Danny Williams.

And with him being here forever, he won't count on either quota.

(I'm 99% sure of that, someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

Wouldn't of signed him if I'm honest he's too old. He'll probably be solid but won't work wonders, I hope he isn't on a high salary.

The way Salford are recruiting, the side they will be putting out next year would have been a contender for honours ten years agao.

Im expecting a swoop for Mark Calderwood to solve the winger dilemma.

I assume they are banking on experience helping them avoid the drop if the proposed restructure gets the go ahead.

He's not a replacement for Broughton, as such. Jodie has chosen to move on, so there's no point comparing.

Taken on his own merits, Meli will be a very good signings and another typical Noble players. There's still loads of stories flying round about new signings and I, for one, am feeling enthused.

If Jodie is going, we will still need another winger as I'm not at all convinced by Danny Williams.

Surely if it's a case of Broughton out and Meli in then he is a replacement and you have to compare and weigh up what changes that will bring?  I do agree about him being a typical Noble player, he certainly like his big wingers.  I think we'll miss his size and power out wide unless we bring someone in.

Anyway I'm sure he'll be a good signing for you :) if you give him service then he'll score plenty of tries.  You'll have to make sure he has plenty of protection under high balls though as that's where he tends to get exposed.

The way Salford are recruiting, the side they will be putting out next year would have been a contender for honours ten years agao.

Im expecting a swoop for Mark Calderwood to solve the winger dilemma.

I assume they are banking on experience helping them avoid the drop if the proposed restructure gets the go ahead.

They are a bottom-two side. The really big name players aren't going to sign for a bottom-two side especially with a salary cap restricting the lure of filthy lucre.

Salford need to be a mid-table side as a minimum before they can become good enough to become attractive to the top players. 

All my accumulated Championship Manager experience tells me that they are making the right deals at the moment; buying established players on short-term contracts. 2-3 years from now they might be in a position to buy the cream of the crop.

All my accumulated Championship Manager experience tells me that they are making the right deals at the moment; buying established players on short-term contracts. 2-3 years from now they might be in a position to buy the cream of the crop.

I don't think Koukash will sign 15 year old kids from Chile.

That's how to win at ChampMan.

I don't think Koukash will sign 15 year old kids from Chile.

That's how to win at ChampMan.

Nah. Some of those Welsh league clubs have some fantastic players going for tiny sums of money. Scout them out.

Salford should be scouring over Cardiff Demons and Wrexham Bradley Raiders team sheets.

Nah. Some of those Welsh league clubs have some fantastic players going for tiny sums of money. Scout them out.

Salford should be scouring over Cardiff Demons and Wrexham Bradley Raiders team sheets.

Dangerous off-topic aside, it's essentially what Salford have done to a tee with Theo Fages. And that's worked out pretty damn well. But this is about Meli, and at least he's in no danger of losing his side anymore Grand Finals.

Every cloud.

Is he the one on the telly?

Surely if it's a case of Broughton out and Meli in then he is a replacement and you have to compare and weigh up what changes that will bring? I do agree about him being a typical Noble player, he certainly like his big wingers. I think we'll miss his size and power out wide unless we bring someone in.

Anyway I'm sure he'll be a good signing for you :) if you give him service then he'll score plenty of tries. You'll have to make sure he has plenty of protection under high balls though as that's where he tends to get exposed.

Sorry, what I meant was we haven't made a conscious attempt to swap Broughton for Meli. I'm sure we'd love to have both but, for whatever reason, Jodie was determined to go back to Yorkshire.

It's a shame as, having stayed loyal in the past, Jodie is a player we'd all like to see sharing in the good times.

As for the Champ Manager comparisons, it's also worth noting that the club has also been quietly signing up rough diamonds from the Championship/Rugby Union.

As for the Champ Manager comparisons, it's also worth noting that the club has also been quietly signing up rough diamonds from the Championship/Rugby Union.

so will Salford be running an U19 team rather than a U20 next year like other SL teams? cheers

Sorry, what I meant was we haven't made a conscious attempt to swap Broughton for Meli. I'm sure we'd love to have both but, for whatever reason, Jodie was determined to go back to Yorkshire.

It's a shame as, having stayed loyal in the past, Jodie is a player we'd all like to see sharing in the good times.

Ah fair enough :)

I agree that it's a pity that Broughton is seemingly off just as good times appear to be on the horizon, it would've been nice if he could share in them.  If the rumours are true and he's off to Huddersfield then he might not have to wait long to get a taste of some glory though.

Meli will do a good job for Salford, I was particularly impressed with him a couple of seasons back when he played most of the season at left centre.