Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

The Festival of World Cups thread (merged)

100 posts in this topic

Wednesday sees the start of the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup.

All fixtures take place at Medway Park in Gillingham Kent. http://www.medwaypark.org.uk/medway_park/map_directions/

The easiest way to come by car is M2, turn off at Junction 3, follow signs for Historic Dockyard, drive past Docks and follow A231 along Wood Street.

Fixtures 3rd July 12pm Wales v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v Scotland, 19:30 England v France
6th July 2pm France v Scotland, 4pm England v Ireland, 6pm Australia v Wales
9th July 12pm Scotland v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v France 19:30 England v Wales
13th July
Finals day with the trophy presented by Paralympics legend Tanni Grey-Thompson

Further information about both tournaments plus tickets can be found at http://www.rlfowc2013.com

To all those able to come along, enjoy!

Here is highlights of France's warmup game with Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7HyhsUtmw&feature=youtu.be&a

Also, the Semi Finals are on the 11th

The Festival of World Cups is now well underway, with seperate tournaments for students, women, wheelchair, armed forces and police all taking place.

To avoid too much confusion with multiple seperate threads popping up at random, and also to keep the festival in focus on here, I'm creating this standalone thread to accomodate any and all discussion/comment/news/info etc across all the tournaments.

Please feel free to post about any of the tournaments here, and get along to support them in person if you can. Full details of what's happening and where can be found on the Festival website at www.rlfowc2013.com

Enjoy, and good luck to all the participants!

Student World Cup News

Wales kick-off their Student World Cup campaign on Thursday with national coach Clive Griffiths believing they can make a real impact.
The Welsh squad play South Africa just over a year after lifting the Student Four Nations title by beating England, Scotland and Ireland.
The Welsh coach said: “I want the boys who were with us last year to carry on the success from there. We have the nucleus of that squad with us again but it is disappointing that we have lost one or two boys.
“But we are under no pressure. Australia, New Zealand and England are the favourites going into these tournaments, particularly Australia and New Zealand who had dominated the World Cup since it started.
“We have a 24-man squad and will have to draw on them anyway because the schedule is the most demanding I have ever come across with five games in 12 days. So everyone will play.
“It's all very positive with us. This will be my last Student World Cup as coach and for ninety per cent of the squad, it will be the first and last time they experience it. So I want us to enjoy it and play some good Rugby League.”
The Welsh squad includes Griffiths' son Owen among the forwards and Osian Phillips, who was included in the extended party for last year's Wales senior squad that took part in the Autumn Tests against France in Lens and England in Wrexham.
Wales not only have South Africa in their group but also England and Ireland.

Wales Student World Cup squad (with university names in brackets)

Backs: L.Weaver(Llandrillo), T.Hughes(Loughborough), P.Evans(Gloucester), J.Gahan(Gloucester), Y.Parker(Gloucester), S.Wright(Cardiff Met), J.Knight(Cardiff Met), C.Bennett (Cardiff Met), S.Amber(Cardiff Met), J.Morgan(Leeds Met), B.West(Coventry)

Forwards: I.Duffy(Cardiff Met), H.Elliott(Glamorgan), C.Wilkinson(Cardiff Met), V.Coker(Cardiff Met), M.Connor(Glamorgan), O.Griffiths(Leeds Met), L.Singleton (Cardiff Met), M.Ward(Newcastle), M.Wilcox, A.Munns(St Marys), O.Davies(Glamorgan), J.Davies(Cardiff Met), O.Phillips(Glamorgan)

I've got a question, does anyone know if the NZ Ferns perform a Hakka before the game?

I've got a question, does anyone know if the NZ Ferns perform a Hakka before the game?

Don't know who the Ferns are, but I think they did at the Armed Forces match. I missed the start of the match, but one of their coaching staff was holding a spear during the match. That may have just been in case a fight broke out though

Don't know who the Ferns are, but I think they did at the Armed Forces match. I missed the start of the match, but one of their coaching staff was holding a spear during the match. That may have just been in case a fight broke out though

The Women's team.

The Women's team.

Annoyingly, I think I'm going to miss the start of that one too!

I'm leaving work at 13:30 on Friday, so that should get me to Dewsbury round about 16:30. I seem to be destined never to see a haka!

Annoyingly, I think I'm going to miss the start of that one too!

I'm leaving work at 13:30 on Friday, so that should get me to Dewsbury round about 16:30. I seem to be destined never to see a haka!

I'll be there and close to the action ;-)

I'm hearing Wales beat Ireland in the Wheelchair. 104-6

Wheelchair HT Aus 78 Sco 0

Australia are younger faster and more skillful, plenty of people though are hoping Scotland will score.

Wheelchair FT Aus 148 Sco 0 Australia` Jason Attard was superb breaking through the line at will and he scored umpteen tries.  Scotland tried hard but were outclassed by superior opponents.

Wheelchair HT England 8 France 12.An absorbing first half saw England kick an early penalty for offside. France replied with a quick burst through the posts. England then scored the try of the game with a great chip and chase. France had the last word,wrongfooting the English defence. Great game with a good crowd.

Wheelchair HT England 8 France 12.An absorbing first half saw England kick an early penalty for offside. France replied with a quick burst through the posts. England then scored the try of the game with a great chip and chase. France had the last word,wrongfooting the English defence. Great game with a good crowd.

Wheelchair FT England 20 France 28. France upset the World Cup holders with a well deserved win with their kicking reliability the difference. England failed to land four of their penalties or conversion attempts.This is to take nothing away from France who were superb. Very enjoyable game despite the result.

Wednesday sees the start of the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup.

All fixtures take place at Medway Park in Gillingham Kent. http://www.medwaypark.org.uk/medway_park/map_directions/

The easiest way to come by car is M2, turn off at Junction 3, follow signs for Historic Dockyard, drive past Docks and follow A231 along Wood Street.

Fixtures 3rd July 12pm Wales v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v Scotland, 19:30 England v France

6th July 2pm France v Scotland, 4pm England v Ireland, 6pm Australia v Wales

9th July 12pm Scotland v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v France 19:30 England v Wales

13th July Finals day with the trophy presented by Paralympics legend Tanni Grey-Thompson

Further information about both tournaments plus tickets can be found at http://www.rlfowc2013.com

To all those able to come along, enjoy!

Here is highlights of France's warmup game with Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7HyhsUtmw&feature=youtu.be&a

Good luck to all involved

Wheelchair FT Aus 148 Sco 0 Australia` Jason Attard was superb breaking through the line at will and he scored umpteen tries.  Scotland tried hard but were outclassed by superior opponents.

I was hoping wheelchair RL, being a relatively young sport, would be a bit of a leveller when it came to playing the Aussies. Obviously not, but I hope the Scots can pick themselves up from this defeat.

Shame about England's result too, especially as they are defending their crown. Good to see other teams coming through, however.

Armed Forces results taken from GBAFRL Twitter page:-

GB 98 Serbia 0

Australia 32 New Zealand 22

Armed Forces results taken from GBAFRL Twitter page:-

GB 98 Serbia 0

Australia 32 New Zealand 22

So, GB v Australia in the final it is then!

As I said on Sunday, NZ are Serbia's best bet at getting some points on the board

Parliamentarian to present Student World Cup trophy

The RFL are pleased  to announce that Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland will be guest of honour at the Student Rugby League World Cup final at Headingley Carnegie Stadium, Leeds, on Sunday July 14.
Mulholland, the Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group, will present the trophy to the winning captain after the final.
A member of York University’s Rugby League team during his time as a politics undergraduate there, Mulholland has a long-standing relationship with the sport and is looking forward to watching the 2013 Student World Cup unfold.
"I'm delighted to be invited by the RFL and the Festival of World Cups organisers to present the trophy to the winning captain in the Student World Cup," said Mullholland.
"Rugby League is a sport I have long followed and admired for its strong connection within the local community and the discipline and dedication shown by players, coaches and fans alike. It is an honour to have this responsibilty given to me.
"Student Rugby League has continued to grow throughout the past few years and I look forward to watching what I am sure will be some top class Rugby League action throughout the competition."
Festival of World Cups Director Julia Lee said: “We’re delighted to have Greg Mulholland attending the Student World Cup final for what promises to be a fantastic day of Rugby League action at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.
“Greg has been a long-term supporter of Rugby League and we have built a very strong relationship with him over recent years. He regularly pushes the sport’s achievements within the houses of parliament and his attendance at the Finals Day adds yet another element to what already promises to be a great occasion.”
Tickets for the Festival of World Cup Finals Day at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Sunday July 14, when the Women’s, Students and Police World Cup Finals will be staged, cost from just £6 adult and £2 concessions and can be purchased by calling 0844 856 1113 or visiting https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rle/default.aspx

The other Student results -

England 54 Ireland 6

http://www.rlfowc2013.com/article/10246/student-england-54---6

New Zealand 122 Russia 0

http://www.rlfowc2013.com/article/10245/students-new-zealand-122--

Wales 30 South Africa 10

http://www.rlfowc2013.com/article/10244/student-wales-30-10-south-africa

Good to see the South Africans competitive against the Welsh.