Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Cricket - The Ashes

80 posts in this topic

28-3 on a batting wicket.

We've got to give the Aussies a chance though, give them three top wickets early as a "handicap" and they might get close ;)

and two legendary performances: Agar's 98 and Anderson's 10 wickets.

I love cricket, but it seems to be reaching union levels of hyperbole. Almost any impressive feat or slightly surprising event must be described as 'legendary', 'sensational', or 'unbelievable'.

Is someone getting 98 on a flattish wicket really 'legendary'? It was a good knock for sure, and almost won them the game.

Is someone getting 98 on a flattish wicket really 'legendary'? It was a good knock for sure, and almost won them the game.

For a teenager making his test and Ashes debut, getting 98 (and a very stylish one too) is pretty special. Breaking more than one all-time test record in the process is also worth a mention.

183-4 at tea and a nice call back for one of Yorkshires finest, gotta love a no ball

I love cricket, but it seems to be reaching union levels of hyperbole. Almost any impressive feat or slightly surprising event must be described as 'legendary', 'sensational', or 'unbelievable'.

I picked those two and chose the phrase 'legendary' carefully as I think those performances will enter the game's folklore.  Agar broke pretty much every known record for a number 11, a debutante and a teenager.  He turned a heavy first innings deficit into a useful lead - and whilst the pitch *shouldn't* have been causing problems it was 117-9 when he came in.  And he made it look easy.

Anderson's final morning exertions were incredible.  To bowl that many overs and to take crucial wicket after crucial wicket...  again, it's a performance that people will refer back to as long as the Ashes are contested.

For a teenager making his test and Ashes debut, getting 98 (and a very stylish one too) is pretty special. Breaking more than one all-time test record in the process is also worth a mention.

It was phenomenal even on a batting wicket, he was 11th man so any mistake by his partner would have ended the innings, that tends to make people hit out.

I picked those two and chose the phrase 'legendary' carefully as I think those performances will enter the game's folklore.  Agar broke pretty much every known record for a number 11, a debutante and a teenager.  He turned a heavy first innings deficit into a useful lead - and whilst the pitch *shouldn't* have been causing problems it was 117-9 when he came in.  And he made it look easy.

Anderson's final morning exertions were incredible.  To bowl that many overs and to take crucial wicket after crucial wicket...  again, it's a performance that people will refer back to as long as the Ashes are contested.

Agreed on both counts.

The Aussies haven't quite got the hang of this review system yet...

The Aussies haven't quite got the hang of this review system yet...

3 wickets now, 3 poor uses of review.  First was reviewed when it shouldn't have been, second was not reviewed when it should have, third was reviewed but not allowed despite the batsman thinking he didn't hit the thing.

Ah well, the umpires can have a shocker for the rest of the innings and nowt the Aussies can do about it.

3 wickets now, 3 poor uses of review.  First was reviewed when it shouldn't have been, second was not reviewed when it should have, third was reviewed but not allowed despite the batsman thinking he didn't hit the thing.

Ah well, the umpires can have a shocker for the rest of the innings and nowt the Aussies can do about it.

Oh well, never mind, what a pity ...

Australia have Braddin in now and Agar. Jelly like batting has led them to be 91-6.

England are dragging this out for the benefit of the broadcasters and the Lords ticket office.

England are dragging this out for the benefit of the broadcasters and the Lords ticket office.

This is how England nearly always do it.  They may even come out for half an hour in the morning.  Winds the opposition up something chronic.

I do hope so. There's 2 days left. Even if they bat til lunch tomorrow, there's more than enough time. They'll go with 600 needed.

I do hope so. There's 2 days left. Even if they bat til lunch tomorrow, there's more than enough time. They'll go with 600 needed.

Think they'll let the lad go for his 200 and then declare

Think they'll let the lad go for his 200 and then declare

Aye. The important thing is for England to twist the knife. Then beat the almost lifeless aussie body with a sledgehammer. Then set it on fire.

The cricket 3rd umpires make you realise how good the ones in Super League really are...  A bit of a shocker for the Agar wicket.

Second biggest win by runs for England over Australia.

England win the first two of a series for the first time since the 70s, go 2-0 up for the first time since the 80s, win four on the trot (over 2 series) for the first time since the ... I think they said 30s.

And yet were 30-3 twice.

Odd series but Australia need to develop a backbone earlier in their innings to make it a close one from this point.

I fear for this series now. We have weaknesses that the aussies are just too poor to exploit. Could be very one-sided.

I fear for this series now. We have weaknesses that the aussies are just too poor to exploit. Could be very one-sided.

Australia's top wickets can't keep falling so cheaply.

Australia's top wickets can't keep falling so cheaply.

You'd hope not. The thought did occur to me that only Clarke out of their top 7 is genuine quality. Remarkable fall from grace for a country that was producing an embarrassment of riches a short while ago.

Do you remember how much the Aussies enjoyed beating us 5-0 in 2006(?) and how much their media lapped it all up? England should go for the throat and absolutely demoralise the Australians in this test series, both the players and media alike.