Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
League Express

England to play Italy in historic first international

71 posts in this topic

I was quite excited by the news of this game.

Then I read this thread. :(

Chin up John. Don't let them dampen your enthusiasm for the fixture.

Be great for England to play someone different.

Bedford? Peterborough?

London then Manchester according to wiki.

So it was either the Stoop or Salford.

Stupid RFL.

London then Manchester according to wiki.

So it was either the Stoop or Salford.

Stupid RFL.

By Lobby's logic every international should be played in London.

By Lobby's logic every international should be played in London.

Under the 5m rule.

Isn't this game primarily to give England a run out before the serious stuff starts? Not sure why people are bothered about the attendance, or stacking it up to suit Italy.

It'll give England a run out of the week build up to a match, then getting from the base to the match and back. Try to make it as real as possible to the RLWC2013 experience.

italy are gonna have a decent team for the world cup....this is a potential banana skin for england especially if they don't take italy seriously..

should be a good game

italy are gonna have a decent team for the world cup....this is a potential banana skin for england especially if they don't take italy seriously..

should be a good game

We'll be in big trouble if we don't take Italy seriously. If England aren't "in the zone" by then, it's gonna be a long World Cup!

Always like seeing new nations, think its a good idea for a warm up. You could argue that it should be played outside the country so as not to detract from WC, but main thing is we have a game ahead of the opener. Good on the RFL!

Has anybody actually considered that the BBC has offered to broadcast a warm-up game if it was played locally to Media City? It is not a co-incidence that the Autumn final in 2012 was also at Salford. This is not a game the BBC has to cover.

So let's baulk at the RFL getting the England side (and pundits) onto national television a week before the biggest competition here in over a decade. Two hours of free publicity for the World Cup! :sclerosis: Rugby League fans would find an excuse to avoid attending anything.

Edited by Scubby

Yes, my original post was pretty negative, and whilst I don't think the venue is the right one, it is at least a great step forward that we are playing a 'new' team finally. 

I'm not sure this game on the BBC would be the best build up - a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

I cannot agree cedars should have been there, Italy has a lot of potential they have around 30 clubs playing game.

Don't believe the hype. Italy's foundations are nowhere near 30 clubs strong. Lebanon however has a burgeoning Club, Junior and University scene that makes Italy look pale in comparison

yet they are playing in the world cup and lebanon are'nt......oh well

Good work pointing out the obvious.

I was just correcting someone who has the wrong idea on Italy's domestic scene

Is the BBC actually showing this match? I keep reading people mentioning this, but there was no reference to it in the press release.

Both leagues peanut if you really think Lebanon is going to take off your in another world Italy have some interest in game Lebanon is very minor.

EDIT: Ignore that

Edited by brooza

a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

The unlimited subs bit puts me off big style. I understand why both teams want to give their squads a run out but I don't attend pre season club games for the same reason, they are just glorified training runs. Ah well, England might play Italy in a full blown international one day. Edited by deluded pom?

Any news on the kick off time for this game ?

I will be coming up to Barton for this but would like to know if it's a day -trip or overnight stay required which depends on the kick off time.

Any news on the kick off time for this game ?

I will be coming up to Barton for this but would like to know if it's a day -trip or overnight stay required which depends on the kick off time.

Will be an afternoon kick-off I expect, as the key World Cup matches for England are in the afternoon too.