Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
League Express

Menzies announces retirement

30 posts in this topic

Wow.

I remember watching the 2008 Grand Final with a fair few people at a mate's place. None of us were Manly fans, but when Menzies went over for his try, we all got to our feet as one and cheered for him.

We were farewelling him from the Australian game, and never did I expect him to play on for another 5 years elsewhere.

He never had the skills of a Johns or Lockyer, but his records and longevity put him in a league of his own, separate to more celebrated league greats but proven to be held in very high esteem by everyone.

I take off my hat to you, Beaver.

A legend. What a great career. Saw him play 10 years ago at Manly and a year ago for Catalans and he was the best player on the park a decade apart - testimony to his professionalism and fitness.

Let's hope he stays in the game - there's an awful lot of knowledge on Beaver's head and it'd be a shame to lose it.

Retires a legend of the game, good luck to the lad with whatever he turns his hand to next.

I remember watching the 2008 Grand Final with a fair few people at a mate's place. None of us were Manly fans, but when Menzies went over for his try, we all got to our feet as one and cheered for him.

He does seem to be genuinely liked by just about everyone in the game.