Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Ireland World Cup team and Irish Rugby League

45 posts in this topic

Brent White (Canberra Raiders) has put his hand up for Ireland.  He was meant to play in 08, but was forced out of the tournament with injury. There is an interview on stevemascord.com about his desire to represent Ireland.

Any idea how many tickets sold for the ire game?

Which one? 

I think the game in Limerick is approaching three thousand ( There is a post on the long running WC thread) and I think the game against Fiji at Rochdale is se,lling well also. I think, given the large Fijian diaspora in Rochdale and the equally large Irish diaspora in Lancashire that this game could well sell out.

I think the game in Limerick is approaching three thousand ( There is a post on the long running WC thread) and I think the game against Fiji at Rochdale is se,lling well also. I think, given the large Fijian diaspora in Rochdale and the equally large Irish diaspora in Lancashire that this game could well sell out.

England vs Ireland seems to be selling well; there are about about seven/eight sections already sold out (bar individual seats) and every side of the ground is now open.

Limerick Game ticket sales by Bay:

Bay 201: 16

Bay 202: 27

Bay 203: 121

Bay 204: 551

Bay 210: 158

Bay 205: 561

Bay 211: 158

Bay 206: 549

Bay 207: 105

Bay 208: 23

Bay 209: 0

So that's 2,269 seats sold, plus then however many GA tickets have been allocated (Ticketmaster doesn't provide any transparency on those areas). 

Hasn't English born manly second rower James hasson put his hand up for Ireland selection? Im sure I read somewhere that his dad is Irish.

wouldn't it be good if Ireland could persuade BOD to play in the World Cup! would like to see him play league

wouldn't it be good if Ireland could persuade BOD to play in the World Cup! would like to see him play league

Old, injury prone and past it. dropped from the British Lions test team, who won big without him.Yes, it's a perfect time for a pre retirement goody at our expense. It would be good publicity though. 

Any further news on the Fielden switch to Ireland? Is it definite?

Anyone know how the domestic season is going in Ireland?

Old, injury prone and past it. dropped from the British Lions test team, who won big without him.Yes, it's a perfect time for a pre retirement goody at our expense. It would be good publicity though.

He would fill the stadium alone. Perhaps it would be worth soneone signing him on a short contract?

He would fill the stadium alone. Perhaps it would be worth soneone signing him on a short contract?

a la Gareth Thomas? On publicity alone I would agree.

Try having a peek at the RLIF website.

And, to answer the question, 5 team leagues in Leinster and Munster, and the game seems to have collapsed in Ulster. Shame.

RLIF??? Or RLI?

Sorry, used the ipad for that post. I meant the RLI website. The demise of the game in Ireland is one of the reasons I dislike, but understand, the heritage player issues. There are some nations with automatic WC entry that shouldn't have had that privilege. It makes some nations lazy in developing the game back home when they know there will be Aussies and Brits who will put their hands up for the chance to play in a WC but put little, if anything, back into the game in the nation they are representing. Next time around only the hosts and the four semi finalists from 2013 should be automatic qualifiers. This could be five tops if the WC is ever taken away from Australasia or the UK. Everyone else to come through a qualifying system.

Sorry, used the ipad for that post. I meant the RLI website. The demise of the game in Ireland is one of the reasons I dislike, but understand, the heritage player issues. There are some nations with automatic WC entry that shouldn't have had that privilege. It makes some nations lazy in developing the game back home when they know there will be Aussies and Brits who will put their hands up for the chance to play in a WC but put little, if anything, back into the game in the nation they are representing. Next time around only the hosts and the four semi finalists from 2013 should be automatic qualifiers. This could be five tops if the WC is ever taken away from Australasia or the UK. Everyone else to come through a qualifying system.

I think I would agree with that. A lot of the thrill of Scotland being there in 2008 was that we had earned it by beating a decent Welsh side. Making the lesser sides qualify would concentrate a few minds and reward the nations putting in the hard work. If you were thinking of putting your hand up to play for Scotland or Ireland in the world cup finals, then join in the effort to help them qualify.

Completely agree on having qualifiers. If nothing else, as we saw prior to the 2008 WC, the qualifiers produce some terrific matches. It's balmy that all but 2 of the 14 teams at the WC didn't need to qualify. It would also, hopefully, lessen the instance of players playing in a WC and then not being seen again til the next WC.

Having said that, would bringing back qualifiers really make any difference to the domestic game in Ireland? Even last year in the relatively unimportant European Cup, most of the squad had English accents. Throw in a few more lads from SL and a few Aussies, and you wouldn't need any domestic players. And with the Irish heritage running fairly deep here and down under, that situation won't change for a good few years. As the RLI can be completely reliant on heritage players for the national side, it's arguable that they have no need to worry about developing the domestic game.