Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Promoting the Game

43 posts in this topic

At club level I'd try something out of left field, for example at Huddersfield I'd give away 10,000 tickets for the remaining home fixtures at the John smiths stadium including any potential play off games to primary and secondary school kids in the Huddersfield and surrounding area as well as students at the local university and colleges. With the giants having the best shot in years at lifting some silverware at wembley or old Trafford or maybe both, it's a good a chance as any for converting some school kids and young adults into giants fans with a potential exciting cup and play off run.

Walter, that may work towards growing the fans.

My youngest Son (8 year old) played Auskick at school, its a promotional tool that the AFL use.

For $60 you get 6 weeks of 1 hour a week training after school with junior players from local AFL team, with a Backpack, Mini AFL Ball, Hat, drink bottle, DVD and 4 tickets to an AFL game of your choice.

Football (soccer) does something similar.

League does............. nothing, at this School at least.

Walter, that may work towards growing the fans.

My youngest Son (8 year old) played Auskick at school, its a promotional tool that the AFL use.

For $60 you get 6 weeks of 1 hour a week training after school with junior players from local AFL team, with a Backpack, Mini AFL Ball, Hat, drink bottle, DVD and 4 tickets to an AFL game of your choice.

Football (soccer) does something similar.

I sometimes wonder if the people who run our game go out of their way to make it a constant up hill struggle.

Complacency Andy?

For the game to be marketed correctly is going to take some one on a very high salary, we could be taking upwards of £1m. Considering people bemoan the fact the CEO of the RFL is on £150k what can be done?

A marketing man who is good at his job will generate enough interest/money to cover his salary and then some.

Complacency Andy?

Lack of planning, complacency and poor structure pom.

Foundations are everything in most things in life, without solid foundations you will struggle down the track and risk being swept away at some point.

I believe that has caused some of the issues in the English game, too many quick fix imports of dubious quality to the detriment of building solid foundations at the Schools and at Junior Club level.

Having people involved in a sport will always guarantee some fans being interested in that game even if its family and friends and perhaps their friends.

Its a core to build on.

The rule in business is that once you stop going forwards then that's the day you start going backwards.

Part of our problem is that we are just not middle class enough. The main sports that get loads of coverage are mostly middle class. ..including soccer now that it is deemed acceptable. Look at this weekends sport. ..Lions, Wimbledon. ..its middle class heaven. RL has never been included in this and is unlikely to be soon.

This is not a class war cry or anything like that, just pointing out how it is.

From 82' until 94' the ashes was every 2 years, the super league war down under killed it IMO.

This is THE POINT exactly

Back then, fans knew for sure what international games were on and when; here in Oz, everyone knew there was a Kangaroos tour to UK/France every 4 years, and the hype for it here was huge: everyone watched the late-night tests etc.

From the Super League war till now, that ended. RL fans never knew what tournament was on and when; there was no anticipation, no planning to save up and go follow the tests/ashes series whatever on a supporters' tour.

Today, we just MAY have that starting again, with the 2017 RLWC being the first RLWC EVER to be held 4 years after the previous one. Do'h!

I'd plan an international program like this:

2013: RLWC

2015: 4 Nations

2017 RLWC

2019: 4 Nations

... and fitting Ashes series (in UK and Oz) as well as Kiwi tours (in UK and NZ) in between the 4 Nations and RLWC .... maybe Ashes tours would have to be every 6 years, to fit in Kiwi RL tours as well ...

Again on the domestic front(super league) why not do what the NRL does and devout an entire round of fixtures to a cause? For example an armed forces round, LGBT round, breast cancer round, anti-racist&relgious bigotry round, NHS round etc. It would be great publicity for rugby league as well as supporting great causes, you could have special team strips for each round and have fund raising activities for the said causes.

From the Super League war till now, that ended. RL fans never knew what tournament was on and when; there was no anticipation, no planning to save up and go follow the tests/ashes series whatever on a supporters' tour.

This is a massive point, it really is, and one that could easily have some action taken on it - give us some notice!

For a point of comparison, I can tell you now where the Welsh rugby union side will be on tour all the way up to 2019, as well as dates and times for the 6 Nations fixtures for the next two seasons. I also know that every November, they'll be playing three or four games in Cardiff.

Can I find any similar information for the Welsh rugby league side? Not a chance. I've searched around and can't even find out if there's a European competition for them in 2014, let alone when that might be.

We're not even talking about 100% set-in-stone dates and times, just a rough idea so that people can plan their lives a bit, and then not moving things around from year to year.

TBH I think the RFL would love to have a 5 year calendar but it is hands of the Aussies to agree and that is where it goes wrong. A much stronger RLIF would help massively.

TBH I think the RFL would love to have a 5 year calendar but it is hands of the Aussies to agree and that is where it goes wrong. A much stronger RLIF would help massively.

I don't necessarily think that they need to go that far ahead, but like I said, I can't even find out the details about any European competition next year, and that doesn't need any input from the Aussies!

Perhaps the European countries could start planning a bit further ahead, which could then act as a spur to the others - if the European nations start saying to the likes of PNG, New Zealand and so on 'how would you like to come over for a game or two during October of 2014, or 2015?', then the Aussies would perhaps start to get the message a bit, or find themselves with no-one to play.

There will be mis-matches, that's inevitable, but if the game is serious about having a major international dimension, the first step is having more international games taking place, regardless of who is playing in them, and giving people the time to plan for them.

I don't necessarily think that they need to go that far ahead, but like I said, I can't even find out the details about any European competition next year, and that doesn't need any input from the Aussies!

Perhaps the European countries could start planning a bit further ahead, which could then act as a spur to the others - if the European nations start saying to the likes of PNG, New Zealand and so on 'how would you like to come over for a game or two during October of 2014, or 2015?', then the Aussies would perhaps start to get the message a bit, or find themselves with no-one to play.

There will be mis-matches, that's inevitable, but if the game is serious about having a major international dimension, the first step is having more international games taking place, regardless of who is playing in them, and giving people the time to plan for them.

2014 and 2016 will see a 4 Nations, so England will be playing Aus and NZ in those years, and 2015 is supposedly a Lions tour again to Aus and NZ. And then 2017 is a World Cup year. PNG could conceivably be playing in the 2014 4 Nations if they're the highest ranked Pacific side in this years WC.

I would agree that a more organised approach needs to be taken for all countries. It often appears that any forward planning in the international game is for the benefit of the top nations, with anything else basically fitted in around it.

International success in credible, regular competitions, whether they are World Cups, Test Series, 4 Nations or whatever. That is what will make people take notice, not a match between two teams from the North of England, however fine the Rugby on show might be.

Like it or not, people are conditioned to judging 'Rugby' by international results, thanks to the RUWC and the Six Nations. Equally, Cricket's strength is judged by International results. Maybe only Football bucks the trend.

It's no use telling people things are different for RL - they won't care that the main strength of our game is in the club competition.

It's no use telling people things are different for RL - they won't care that the main strength of our game is in the club competition.

Entirely true and I think most people realise that on this board at least. But even here people are fixated by matches between the Big Three nations. These are obviously vitally important but the needs and requirements of the other nations are vital if Internationals and inadvertantly RL in general is to be taken seriously in the wider public arena. The World Cup this year is incredibly important with this as it showcases the other nations as well as the Big Three. But this MUST be backed up with a viable international programme across the board. For example:

1. Every Pacific nation should be playing on ANZAC day, not just Aus vs NZ.

2. The Home Nations AND France should play when England play the Exiles.

3. All teams bar the previous semi-finalists should qualify for World Cups.

4. Three match series between the likes of Russia vs Ukraine, Canada vs US, US vs Jamaica etc etc.

The list could go on but the international game is fundamentally the most important factor in increasing the game profile in the UK and across the rest of the league playing world.

I'd also like to see the big 3 (Australia especially) play regular one off games against teams other than the other big 3 nations.