Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deluded pom?

Canada v USA

62 posts in this topic

They first played in 1987, but that was a totally different set-up that lapsed during the 90s I think.

Wouldn't it be great if some Super League clubs and NRL sides sent some people over to help develop the game in Canada. If there already attracting crowds of that size there must  be a huge potential for the game over there. Perhaps Catalans could target Quebec, while other clubs each focus on a city or area each and help to train players and develop local leagues. 

Who knows in 5 to 10 years we may have a significant number of Canadian players at Super League clubs and another decent international team to compete with

I'm pretty sure there's a SL club already with links to Canada RL but cant remember who - pretty sure it was a Yorkshire club, Hull KR?

http://www.canadarugbyleague.com/history/index.php?pageid=100001

LIONS INTRODUCE RUGBY LEAGUE TO CANADA

Canada’s first taste of Rugby League was thanks to the early Great Britain touring squad.

The 1928 Great Britain Lions touring squad of Australasia, was one of the most successful by a Northern Hemisphere team with the side only losing five of their twenty-four tour matches, and securing both test series against Australia and New Zealand.  Kicking off the test part of the tour in Brisbane, Great Britain were too strong for the Australian’s recording a 15 – 12 victory at the Showground.  Heading south, Great Britain proceeded to make history, by holding the Australian’s to nil for the only time ever on home soil before the Kangaroos bounced back in the final test.

NOVA SCOTIA RUGBY UNION TRY THEIR HANDS AT LEAGUE

To fully understand the scenarios that lead to Rugby League’s introduction and eventual failure in Nova Scotia, it is important to understand the sporting scene in Canada at the time.

In the early 1900’s, Rugby Union, or English Rugby, as it was known back then was the dominant sport in Canada, however during the 1930’s the sport started to suffer an image problem with the general public, especially in Nova Scotia.

Canadian Football, which ironically enough was formed from Rugby Union, was growing in popularity, particularly in Halifax, with English Rugby suffering declining support and playing number.

This decline was only intensified following the second World War, with Canadian Football, enjoying a massive boost in popularity.  Realising that their sport was on the decline, the Nova Scotia Rugby Union held crisis meetings in 1944 to try to reverse the trend.

Amazingly one of the options looked at by the Nova Scotia Rugby Union (NSRU) was converting from Rugby Union rules to Rugby League rules.  Whilst support for the concept was strong, the lack of a rule book ruled out this option for the 1945 season.

The concept of swapping rules was rehashed in 1946, and gained official support on September 27, 1946.

Link has a little more info.

Things looking good in Canada. I often watch their videos on YouTube, always impressed with the crowd who seem to like RL and turn out in the thousands to go to the matches. Also having Coors Light as a sponsor can't do any harm, I imagine that's national if not multi-national. Just hope they can continue to grow and be in contention for the next RLWC.

Did I read that RL has only been in Canada for 3 years? Think I saw it on twitter..

The current shirt sponsors are Fosters.

Bottom left of the videos is Coors Light, I assume that's a sponsor and they've not just put it there for the laugh. :)

Bottom left of the videos is Coors Light, I assume that's a sponsor and they've not just put it there for the laugh. :)

A bit of a conflict of interest though ;)

nowt to do with rugby but Fosters in Canada is brewed by Molson who are half of Molson-Coors so same sponsor different brand

nowt to do with rugby but Fosters in Canada is brewed by Molson who are half of Molson-Coors so same sponsor different brand

Thanks for clearing that up RBS ;)

7k is a great crowd! We should send England out there in the off season and try and build on this.

In the early 1900’s, Rugby Union, or English Rugby, as it was known back then was the dominant sport in Canada

This statement is incorrect.  The sport was not Rugby Union, it was Canadian Rugby Football, a much improved version of the game.

The game which Earl Grey's famous Cup was given to was a ball-control version of rugby which had no rucks, no mauls, no fair catches, no throw-ins and even no scrums.  After a tackle, the teams got back on side and lined up with the forwards of the offensive team on the line of scrimmage.  The middle three linked arms as if packing down, and the middle one heeled the ball back into play.  There was no fair catch on kicks in general play, instead the offside members of the kicking team had to give the returner 5 yards until he gained possession.  Kicks that went in-goal had to be run out, or the attacking team scored one point and the defending team had to kick-out from the 25 yard line.  There was a 5-minute sin-bin rule for serious infractions too, but whether this was adopted from hockey into football or vice-versa I couldn't say.

These parallels mean that rugby league is to all intents and purposes an improved version of that original Canadian game.  It's even possible that some of these innovations made their way into RL from Canada: Frank Cosentino's book Canadian Football: The Grey Cup Years documents at least one case of a former Northern Union player who played in the IRFU in those early days.  Canadians like me who grew up with the CFL will instantly recognize the parrallels between RL and the so-called "Canadian" football we have here.

Did I read that RL has only been in Canada for 3 years? Think I saw it on twitter..

is this true? its excellent if it is, a crowd of 7200 + is a very good crowd for a country that has only played RL for 3 years, England only got 7900 ish to watch the exiles match,

what are we doing wrong??????

I hope people realise that the return game in the USA is being played at the same time and in the same city as the Philadelphia Fight v Jax game. A sure fire way to limit the size of the crowd if ever there was one. The AMNRL will be lucky to get a couple of hundred to their game. How to blow your chances of promoting the sport on the back of your first WC appearance lesson #412.

I hope people realise that the return game in the USA is being played at the same time and in the same city as the Philadelphia Fight v Jax game. A sure fire way to limit the size of the crowd if ever there was one. The AMNRL will be lucky to get a couple of hundred to their game. How to blow your chances of promoting the sport on the back of your first WC appearance lesson #412.

Wow, just wow. Out of interest what kind of attendace would Philadelphia Fight v Jax get?

I hope people realise that the return game in the USA is being played at the same time and in the same city as the Philadelphia Fight v Jax game.

Just to be clear, well that would be terrible scheduling for sure, but the two play 15 miles apart, the same sort of distance as Wigan and Warrington or Bradford and Huddersfield. And in different states.

Rugby league fans may have their loyalties split, but for both in trying to attract the general public in their local communities there would be no overlap.

Just to be clear, well that would be terrible scheduling for sure, but the two play 15 miles apart, the same sort of distance as Wigan and Warrington or Bradford and Huddersfield. And in different states.

Rugby league fans may have their loyalties split, but for both in trying to attract the general public in their local communities there would be no overlap.

Please try and be more clear, I don't understand your argument as to why it's not a bad thing

Please try and be more clear, I don't understand your argument as to why it's not a bad thing

Clear as mud if you ask me. ;)

I don't really follow the game in the US but from what I've read elsewhere, the US v Canada game is in Philadelphia on the same day as the USARL Final, but one appears to be a 3pm kick off and the other is at 7pm - maybe I've got that wrong? But they both appear to take place in the same city, but in grounds 15 miles apart. If both games are taking place at the same time, I doubt the RL community in Philly is big enough to warrant splitting it between 2 matches.

Nor do I. Just to be clear, did you think "terrible scheduling" was meant as a positive?

But they both appear to take place in the same city, but in grounds 15 miles apart.

The Phildadelphia Fight's home ground is in a western suburb of the city while the Tomahawks current 'home ground' is Campbell's Field in Camden, New Jersey to the east. Which is just across the Delaware River from downtown Philadelphia.

I do not know the details, and maybe it is just petty squabbling between the AMNRL and USARL, but I guess things like ground availability may be a factor, just as they are here. Campbell's Field is home to a minor league baseball team so they would have been limited to the weekends when they were on a road trip.

Not a good thing, but in trying to attract local people to come and try a game of rugby league they would be targetting different communities.

Nor do I. Just to be clear, did you think "terrible scheduling" was meant as a positive?The Phildadelphia Fight's home ground is in a western suburb of the city while the Tomahawks current 'home ground' is Campbell's Field in Camden, New Jersey to the east. Which is just across the Delaware River from downtown Philadelphia.I do not know the details, and maybe it is just petty squabbling between the AMNRL and USARL, but I guess things like ground availability may be a factor, just as they are here. Campbell's Field is home to a minor league baseball team so they would have been limited to the weekends when they were on a road trip.Not a good thing, but in trying to attract local people to come and try a game of rugby league they would be targetting different communities.

I don't think that game 2 of the Colonial cup is being played at Campbell's field. That was just for one WCQ game a couple of years back. Last years home (USA) colonial cup game was played in Fairfield, CT on a high school field I believe.

The CRL website states the game is in Philadlephia, game tbc.

a friend of mine (a soccerball fan who knows nowt about RL) has just returned from Toronto, he was amazed at the number off billboards plugging the game and said there was a full page spread in the Toronto daily paper.

a friend of mine (a soccerball fan who knows nowt about RL) has just returned from Toronto, he was amazed at the number off billboards plugging the game and said there was a full page spread in the Toronto daily paper.

Lets all move to Canada.

Wow, that's good! :)