Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deluded pom?

Canada v USA

62 posts in this topic

The Phildadelphia Fight's home ground is in a western suburb of the city while the Tomahawks current 'home ground' is Campbell's Field in Camden, New Jersey to the east. Which is just across the Delaware River from downtown Philadelphia.

I don't think that game 2 of the Colonial cup is being played at Campbell's field. That was just for one WCQ game a couple of years back. Last years home (USA) colonial cup game was played in Fairfield, CT on a high school field I believe.

The CRL website states the game is in Philadlephia, game tbc.

I thought the US were perhaps playing at Charles Martin Memorial Stadium in Philadelphia?

Just to be clear, well that would be terrible scheduling for sure, but the two play 15 miles apart, the same sort of distance as Wigan and Warrington or Bradford and Huddersfield. And in different states.

Rugby league fans may have their loyalties split, but for both in trying to attract the general public in their local communities there would be no overlap.

Just to be clear it's also about the players too. It's an easy way to not select USARL players involved in their GF. The USARL players would be torn between playing for their country or to play alongside the guys they've played with all season in the GF. That's of course IF any USARL players are even considered for the Colonial Cup games. Akarika Dawn being the exception but it will be interesting to see what he does if Jax make the GF. The USARL GF date was released prior to the USA v Canada game being arranged. Coincidence?

I thought the US were perhaps playing at Charles Martin Memorial Stadium in Philadelphia?

It makes sense for that to be right. What's the name of the fights ground?

Just to be clear it's also about the players too. It's an easy way to not select USARL players involved in their GF. The USARL players would be torn between playing for their country or to play alongside the guys they've played with all season in the GF. That's of course IF any USARL players are even considered for the Colonial Cup games. Akarika Dawn being the exception but it will be interesting to see what he does if Jax make the GF. The USARL GF date was released prior to the USA v Canada game being arranged. Coincidence?

Why was Akarika Dawn picked as I thought they don't normally pick anyone from the USARL?

Mind boggling to think that petty politics will come before picking the best squad, particularly in a World Cup year. I'm assuming they're confident of finding plenty of heritage players for the WC.

Just a pity the RLIF doesn't have some teeth and were able to put some kind of sanctions in place to try and force the issue.

Why was Akarika Dawn picked as I thought they don't normally pick anyone from the USARL?

Mind boggling to think that petty politics will come before picking the best squad, particularly in a World Cup year. I'm assuming they're confident of finding plenty of heritage players for the WC.

Just a pity the RLIF doesn't have some teeth and were able to put some kind of sanctions in place to try and force the issue.

Dawn left the USARL team Jax so he could play for the Tomahawks. He was registered with an AMNRL team that didn't even play a game (either the Fairfield Crocs or the Atlanta Legion) and probably never even existed. Maybe this is a reward for his loyalty even though he's back in the USARL. Tomahawks captain for the last few years, Apple Pope, did something similar but was registered with the Pensylvania Bulls (David Niu's team) but seeing as he works in Jacksonville he only ever played RL whilst captaining the Tomahawks!

Just to be clear, I was lead to believe it was Camden Fields again (which was marketed as Philadelphia previously), though cannot remember where from. The distance between the Northeast High School and the Fight is only a few miles closer and still different communities.

But as big a problem as the clash with the USARL is the complete lack of publicity for the Colonial Cup fixture that we cannot check anywhere to confirm. Philadelphia is just too vague. It is the 5th biggest city in the US, and the name can just as easily apply to suburbs as it does with Camden, NJ, which is much closer to downtown Philadelphia than any of the other stadiums mentioned.

How do they expect to attract anyone when no one can find out where they will be playing? Meanwhile in Canada they are already selling tickets to the final match of the series. Even if the AMNRL are scheduling it as a peeing contest they are still in the shadow of the USARL final with seemingly no publicity for the international match. The Canadians seem so much more professional in every way.

The Canadians seem so much more professional in every way.

Sad but very very true.

Dawn left the USARL team Jax so he could play for the Tomahawks. He was registered with an AMNRL team that didn't even play a game (either the Fairfield Crocs or the Atlanta Legion) and probably never even existed. Maybe this is a reward for his loyalty even though he's back in the USARL. Tomahawks captain for the last few years, Apple Pope, did something similar but was registered with the Pensylvania Bulls (David Niu's team) but seeing as he works in Jacksonville he only ever played RL whilst captaining the Tomahawks!

Thanks for the explanation. Bizarre that they'd make up a team just to make it appear that he plays in the AMNRL. You really couldn't make it up.

Just to be clear, I was lead to believe it was Camden Fields again (which was marketed as Philadelphia previously), though cannot remember where from. The distance between the Northeast High School and the Fight is only a few miles closer and still different communities.

But as big a problem as the clash with the USARL is the complete lack of publicity for the Colonial Cup fixture that we cannot check anywhere to confirm. Philadelphia is just too vague. It is the 5th biggest city in the US, and the name can just as easily apply to suburbs as it does with Camden, NJ, which is much closer to downtown Philadelphia than any of the other stadiums mentioned.

How do they expect to attract anyone when no one can find out where they will be playing? Meanwhile in Canada they are already selling tickets to the final match of the series. Even if the AMNRL are scheduling it as a peeing contest they are still in the shadow of the USARL final with seemingly no publicity for the international match. The Canadians seem so much more professional in every way.

I know from Googling earlier on it was nigh on impossible to get any info on the actual location of the game. And you're spot on about the size of Philly. That North East High School is still about 15 or so miles from where the Fight play. I was quite surprised at the distances involved. What's really staggering about all this is that it's the AMNRL who are supposedly going to be behind the team we see at the World Cup.

But it is fantastic to see the progress the Canadians are making.

This USRL / AMNRL split, like the Italian RL split, really is such a total bore … zzzzzzzzzzz … time to sort it all out !!!!!!!