Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

150 posts in this topic

At least no one on TRL Fans Forum ever makes comments about the personal appearance of our game's CEO

Inverdale suggested her performance was due to her looks (or lack of in his judgement).  Claire said the jockey had bad teeth with no reference to performance.

Inverdale suggested her performance was due to her looks (or lack of in his judgement). Claire said the jockey had bad teeth with no reference to performance.

So its acceptable to comment on peoples physical appearance as long as it doesn't relate to their performance?

I'm no friend of this joker but I was under the impression he had actually said it to her face after the game. I think the article in th independent is OTT. Did Clare Balding taking the pee out of that jockeys teeth mean there was some sort of sexual politics agenda going on? .

And why do some women seem to think it is only females that are judged on how they look? Men are pressured to look and act certain ways and if you don't made to feel a failure.

An insensitive comment for sure but not as bad as some are making out.

balding's comments were crass and she was rightly criticised for it

balding's comments were crass and she was rightly criticised for it

The writer of the article is calling for her to replace Inverdale. How is it fine for her to make personal comments but not a man?

IMO there was nothing wrong with her comments anyway, it was just a bit of banter but I don't see why she is ok yet he is an example of institutional sexism or some such theory.

The writer of the article is calling for her to replace Inverdale. How is it fine for her to make personal comments but not a man?

IMO there was nothing wrong with her comments anyway, it was just a bit of banter but I don't see why she is ok yet he is an example of institutional sexism or some such theory.

Cos it's Inverdale :ph34r:  He's smug, oily and we like seeing him squirm. :tongue:

Cos it's Inverdale :ph34r: He's smug, oily and we like seeing him squirm. :tongue:

Can't argue with that.

Inverdale is an smug idiot, hope he does not get away with it

well he presented the highlights show last night so I assume he has.

Its hard to understand where he was going with it and against the backdrop of the sexism and abuse that occured atvthe BBC over the years, you'd think they want to stamp on things like this.

For a man with a face like a burst leather armchair to criticise someone who had just become Wimbledon Champion is oafish in the extreme. I thought Bartoli handled it well, when she heard about it.

well he presented the highlights show last night so I assume he has.

Its hard to understand where he was going with it and against the backdrop of the sexism and abuse that occured atvthe BBC over the years, you'd think they want to stamp on things like this.

If the BBC is so sexist etc etc how come someone like Clare Balding is one of their main presenters and actually was the main anchor for the Olympics? Not forgetting that a big proportion of their big weekend stars are gay?

How do they get anywhere given the enormous discrimination they face?

There clearly isn't that much.

it isn't

also inverdale happened to be on air when Raoul Moat was killing people and blew a copper's face off: he described it as like watching midsomer murders.

Inverdale has form for being a #### broadcaster.

Different.

The person you are taking about could do something about his weight.

I doubt there is very little this kid could do about her looks.

Anyway, Inverdale must have very high standards, as she is far from the worst looking tennis player I have ever seen.

comments about Wood's appearance happen on here frequently

what a person looks like, for whatever reason is irrelevant.

Maybe so, but, as I said, and I am not going to apologise for it, it is easier to lose some weight, than it is to change your facial features.

You can moralise all you like about that comment, but you cannot argue against the truth in it.

Thanks.

but what on earth is the relevance of what somebody looks like? Whether it's their body mass or their facial features? There seems to be for some reason a tendency to gratuitously invoke Wood's weight whenever discussions about his role in rugby league arise.

nobody is asking you to apologise, don't be so precious.

but what on earth is the relevance of what somebody looks like? Whether it's their body mass or their facial features? There seems to be for some reason a tendency to gratuitously invoke Wood's weight whenever discussions about his role in rugby league arise.

nobody is asking you to apologise, don't be so precious.

Agree - I always think if you need to bring up Nigel Wood's weight in an argument, then you musn't have much of a point to begin with. Childish stuff.

I find a lot of this thread fairly depressing.  Let me first say I don't have an issue with Inverdale, although I get why some people do.  My dad has actually met him and thought he was an alright bloke.  Moreover, Inverdale's style is quite casual and I can see how what he said slipped out as it is something which you might easily say to your mates etc..so, just to be clear, I don't dislike Inverdale and don't think he's some frightful monster..BUT, I find what he said, when he said it to be so out of order as to be gross misconduct.

I'm the father of a ten year old girl and it is more and more obvious to me how women are viewed by themselves, society etc as objects in a way which men basically aren't.  That comment belongs in the stone age and it's comments like that which perpetuate the idea to young girls that their physical appearance is as important as anything else.

What about comments that make young lads act and behave in a certain way?ie to conform to what is acceptable

All the programmes like TOWIE or whatever telling young guys they have to look like this or that to be cool. When you get older if you haven't got a flash car and big house you are deemed a loser...etc etc

Pressure exists for men and with little advice How to deal with it. I don't buy the feminist agenda being peddled that women are helpless victims in all this.

What about comments that make young lads act and behave in a certain way?ie to conform to what is acceptable

All the programmes like TOWIE or whatever telling young guys they have to look like this or that to be cool. When you get older if you haven't got a flash car and big house you are deemed a loser...etc etc

Pressure exists for men and with little advice How to deal with it. I don't buy the feminist agenda being peddled that women are helpless victims in all this.

Programmes like that probably do, but on the whole boys/men are not discussed in terms of what they look like, certainly not within sports programmes and if they are it is a tiny percentage of the time.  I'm not sure anybody has commented on the fact that Andy Murray is no oil painting, certainly not in the lead up to the final.

I actually think women can be as bad if not worse than many men in encouraging other women/girls to consider their looks rather than their what they are about more generally, but that is a result of they themselves being encouraged to think like that.  Look at those awful women's magazines!

Not so long ago a female colleague of mine was telling me what a good role model she thought Jordan was.  FFS why would anybody want their child to grow up like her?

The other day my daughter had to a school project about a famous person and I was trying to think of a woman who wasn't a stereotypical female like Florence Nightingale or an actress/singer and I was struggling off the top of my head.  

I want my daughter to grow up and become who she is able to be and not be constrained by how she thinks she should look and behave.  I don't see lads in the school playground fretting over how they look whereas you can certainly see a lot of girls who are obsessed by what they look like.

My Mate Kevin was once within tw**ting range of Inverdale, he decided not to and now lives with the regret every day of his life.

Another ridiculous comment from the guy that just can't grasp the concept of irony.

Do you not find it ironic in that you call me precious, yet you are just as precious in the opposite direction?

This whole thread is about the perception of people's bodies. Is this another one that you think should be closed down due to the fact that it doesn't fit your politically correct notion of, well, everything?

no I dont find it ironic

the whole thread is about people making value judgements based onthe appearance of  peoples' bodies

political correctness has nothing to do with it it's a crass unreconstructed oaf thing

My Mate Kevin was once within tw**ting range of Inverdale, he decided not to and now lives with the regret every day of his life.

and so he should

and so he should

Yes, I take great delight in reminding him of how he let us all down.

these moments come rarely

Me too, I'm afraid - I was at Wimbledon and he came into the court to watch and sat one seat away. My wife would never have forgiven me if I'd created the scene that I desperately wanted to create.

Me too, I'm afraid - I was at Wimbledon and he came into the court to watch and sat one seat away. My wife would never have forgiven me if I'd created the scene that I desperately wanted to create.

I hope you can live with yourself