Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

150 posts in this topic

Very very few. Made worse by the current trend for unpaid interns. How many people without parental backing can take these positions up? During the Olympics the BBC missed the irony of their articles banging on about how many public school competitors won gold for GB. I asked the journalist on Twitter how many of his colleagues were from state schools, and he admitted that it wasn't many

I'm sure you are right but I am referring to the number of jobs available only to women/ethnic minorities/etc.

Merely pointing out that a University lecturer is far far far from working class or the people Phil is referring to.

That does look like point scoring John.

Edit, and is one of the worst traits in working class people.  The idea that making something of yourself takes you out of your social grouping, much better to have followed his dad into the machinist business and not sold out.

I'm sure you are right but I am referring to the number of jobs available only to women/ethnic minorities/etc.

Sorry I misunderstood your point.  You were referring to the jobs advertised,not jobs at the paper.  Apologies. Maybe there are jobs like that, but they'll be massively swamped by the number of jobs where those qualities will make it a lot harder to get the job. 

Sorry I misunderstood your point. You were referring to the jobs advertised,not jobs at the paper. Apologies. Maybe there are jobs like that, but they'll be massively swamped by the number of jobs where those qualities will make it a lot harder to get the job.

The jobs that 'swamp' these ones are low paid manual work. It's fine to leave these exclusively for the lower orders though. I have had personal experience of 'positive' discrimination and it is not a nice feeling, regardless of how pc the other party is.

That does look like point scoring John.

Edit, and is one of the worst traits in working class people. The idea that making something of yourself takes you out of your social grouping, much better to have followed his dad into the machinist business and not sold out.

That is not my viewpoint at all. I aren't sure why you are implying it is.

The jobs that 'swamp' these ones are low paid manual work. It's fine to leave these exclusively for the lower orders though. I have had personal experience of 'positive' discrimination and it is not a nice feeling, regardless of how pc the other party is.

I think you're confusing two issues John.  How many of these women will be comp educated, and have a Btec in hairdressing? 

That is not my viewpoint at all. I aren't sure why you are implying it is.

Why bring up Sev's job if not to imply that his opinion on the working class was less valid, because he is, in your opinion, middle class? 

Re the second of my comments.  I do not believe that is your viewpoint for one minute John, it's more of a general comment, but I can see that it appears I am implying it is. 

Mike, I could try to be a spokesman on black people's issues. At some point someone might point out that I aren't actually black.

I wonder how many jobs there are in the Guardian or Telegraph this week for white working class males?

That is to say, ones actively discriminating *for* them? Not many I reckon

people arent employed on the basis of their race or gender it's quite rightly illegal

the number of working class people employed at the guardian will be commensurate with the number of working class jobs-same as at the mirror, the sun and the rest of the nation's press.

It's perfectly legal to omit white men from jobs, read the adverts and the exemptions.

Strangely though, there don't seem to be jobs actively excluding women or disabled etc.

There's a Woman's Hour on the radio but no Men's Hour.

There has been a Men's Hour for a few years on 5Live - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/menshour

(Although that argument does put me in mind of when, as a child, I asked my parents why there was a Mother's day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day - they answered, a bit world weary "because every day is Children's Day!" :) )

Oh great. Yet another thread derailed by people who can't go 5 minutes without mentioning the class system. We're supposed to be abusing Oily John, people!

There has been a Men's Hour for a few years on 5Live - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/menshour

(Although that argument does put me in mind of when, as a child, I asked my parents why there was a Mother's day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day - they answered, a bit world weary "because every day is Children's Day!" :) )

Had the same conversation with my mother as a child.

Oh great. Yet another thread derailed by people who can't go 5 minutes without mentioning the class system. We're supposed to be abusing Oily John, people!

Yeah, the oily middle class ....

Beat me to it; any opportunity to point and laugh at 'the oily one' should never be passed up.  :tongue:

It was interesting listening to Karen Brady thanking Alan Sugar for choosing two female finalists in the Apprentice! That aside. I have come across many men who think women should be in the kitchen doing the chores. For mine, we are all on the planet together and good luck to anyone who gets on in merit. 

Now the Culture Secretary has waded in, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2367504/Ministers-war-BBC-sexism-Culture-Secretary-demands-action-presenter-John-Inverdales-comments-tennis-star-looker.html The most interesting thing about the article is the quoted salary Inverdale receives, £600,000 (!). We all know that oil is expensive but not convinced that represents a worthwhile use of licence payer's money

Now the Culture Secretary has waded in, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2367504/Ministers-war-BBC-sexism-Culture-Secretary-demands-action-presenter-John-Inverdales-comments-tennis-star-looker.html The most interesting thing about the article is the quoted salary Inverdale receives, £600,000 (!). We all know that oil is expensive but not convinced that represents a worthwhile use of licence payer's money

Glad that this story hasn't gone away. Oily John deserves to squirm quite a bit longer.

Maybe Oily John should get fracked.  We could  use all that oil to bolster our reserves.

I can't stand Inverdale but now we've got all these harridans who have never played golf in their life creating a stink because this year's British Open is played at a club that doen't allow women to be members. The club's managed a hundred yearswithout them so fair enough. It's not as if the club bars women from playing the course.

I don't think we'll see these same harridans petitioning that we should ban the Soroptimists and Women's Institute because they don't allow men to be members.

Even more pertinently, I don't see them petitioning to shut down mosques or the Catholic Church for not allowing women to be priests or imams.

Harridans? Pejorative?

It seems that Pope Joan is a myth but the issue of female clergy is certainly  current.

If THIS is open to female membership, so should Muirfield.