Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Padge

Harry Sunderland (Be Careful Don't Get it Locked)

34 posts in this topic

Just to resurrect a thread that was put to bed in July.

At the Albert Goldthorpe Medal ceremony recently we gave a Lifetime Achievement Award to Harry Jepson, a former director of Hunslet, Leeds and the RFL.

Harry knew Harry Sunderland personally, as well as Roy Francis.

I asked Harry specifically about whether Sunderland was a racist in any sense of the word, and he was quite shocked that such a thing should even be suggested. He had never seen any sign of it, and Roy Francis had never spoken to him about anything to the same effect.

I thought it worth reporting on here, given the original thread that questioned Sunderland's possible racism.

But perhaps we should let this thread now sink once again to the bottom of the page and beyond.

I'm sure Lee Briers will take it no matter who it's named after.

Or whoever its awarded to.   :D

The sunderland trophy is a very high honour, he appears to be less than savoury character. I started with an open mind on this, but the mor I dig the more i tend towards l'ange's view.

It may not be popular, Martyn has made his view quite clear, however I feel that the award should be questioned.

Thinking about I think we should have a rule/law that says that these awards should only last for a set number of years and then be passed on.

I think that most people look at the award in the context of who was man of the match in the Grand Final and most have no inkling of the history behind it or any details of Sunderland and do not know who he was.

I think the name of the award has evolved away from the identity of the man whose name is on it and this will continue as the years go by. It's like the words Biro and Hoover. They have evolved away from the original products after which they were named and are now words for a vacuum cleaner and a ball point pen.

Maybe we should just let sleeping dogs lie and have the true facts about Sunderland, such as they are to remain marooned in the history books.

For Harry Sunderland see Woodrow Wilson

Not sure what point you're making.

Woodrow Wilson was a segregationist, and that fact is fully documented.

There is no parallel with Harry Sunderland.

no brainer.............the harold wagstaff medal. our very own dally m.

I'm sure Lee Briers will take it no matter who it's named after.

Sam Tomkins. Easy.

Eddie just wants one last nibble before Sam leaves him sobbing on the platform.

Not sure what point you're making.

Woodrow Wilson was a segregationist, and that fact is fully documented.

There is no parallel with Harry Sunderland.

I know,but it just reminded me about the publicity W W is getting over here in the USA right now.Apparently there is a film coming out about his life and there are many people didn't know this side of him segregationist or racist.It maybe fully documented to a well read person like you,but believe me there are many many people over here who didn't know.Even I knew he said the film BIRTH OF A NATION  was true.