Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Padge

Dean Martin v Frank Sinatra

17 posts in this topic

Don't want to do a poll as it only gives you a count.

I love Dean Martin's voice, it always seemed to have a depth and a hidden smirk.

Sinartra just always seemed to be going through the motions, technically good but personality zero.

These guys were classic singers of their time, but who was the daddy ( jump in Sammy Davis fans )

Don't want to do a poll as it only gives you a count.

I love Dean Martin's voice, it always seemed to have a depth and a hidden smirk.

Sinartra just always seemed to be going through the motions, technically good but personality zero.

These guys were classic singers of their time, but who was the daddy ( jump in Sammy Davis fans )

sinatra was at his peak in the fifties

songs for swinging lovers is one of my favourite albums of any kind of music

and come fly with me along with in the wee small hours are brilliant too.

I'm a big swing fan and some of Sinatra's arrangements are swing classics.  But I don't like his voice or his way with a song. I'm not keen on Deano either TBH. I didn't like Sinatra's imitators either - Bobby Darren or Matt Monroe.  I like Billy Eckstein and Sarah Vaughan's "Perfect Strangers"  I like Ella, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Julie London.  I like Crosby better than either Martin or Sinatra - but not that much.  Speaking of band singers - which is how Sinatra started out I do like Al Bowley.  His "Love is the Sweetest Thing" is a classic and he can also be heard on the soundtrack of "The Shining"

I'm a big swing fan and some of Sinatra's arrangements are swing classics.  But I don't like his voice or his way with a song. I'm not keen on Deano either TBH. I didn't like Sinatra's imitators either - Bobby Darren or Matt Monroe.  I like Billy Eckstein and Sarah Vaughan's "Perfect Strangers"  I like Ella, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Julie London.  I like Crosby better than either Martin or Sinatra - but not that much.  Speaking of band singers - which is how Sinatra started out I do like Al Bowley.  His "Love is the Sweetest Thing" is a classic and he can also be heard on the soundtrack of "The Shining"

sarah vaughan was wonderful.

My Auntie Brenda was i to her and Ella Fitzgerald, and she could sing all of their stuff: still does and she's 85

Al Bowley was a great singer

Dean Martin before Sinatra anyday.

Last year BBC 3 or 4 did a series of his tv shows.  Live singing with a live band - sounded just like on the records. 

Dean Martin before Sinatra anyday.

Last year BBC 3 or 4 did a series of his tv shows.  Live singing with a live band - sounded just like on the records. 

He should have stuck to the double act with Jerry Lewis. Only people of my vintage will remember it :ph34r:

Your not drunk if you can lie in the floor without holding on

Dean Martin

sarah vaughan was wonderful.

My Auntie Brenda was i to her and Ella Fitzgerald, and she could sing all of their stuff: still does and she's 85

Al Bowley was a great singer

What do you call a pachyderm that sings jazz

Elephants Gerald

What do you call a pachyderm that sings jazz

Elephants Gerald

Bloody hell mate

I hope you feel better for that

I prefer the songs that Sinatra sang apart from high hopes

Martin sang the songs that Louis prima turned down...not literally but you get my drift

'Sinatra at the Sands' is a superb album, with Frank accompanied by the Count Basie orchestra under the direction of Quincy Jones. But the singer that really does it for me? Three little words - Nat. King. Cole.

'Sinatra at the Sands' is a superb album, with Frank accompanied by the Count Basie orchestra under the direction of Quincy Jones. But the singer that really does it for me? Three little words - Nat. King. Cole.

Never keen in cole's diction

But like Sinatra he sang great songs apart from lazy hazy crazy days of summer

Btw

Was that a David Brent impersonation?

He should have stuck to the double act with Jerry Lewis. Only people of my vintage will remember it :ph34r:

Nearly as unfunny as Abbot and Costello (but that would be impossible)

Nearly as unfunny as Abbot and Costello (but that would be impossible)

Really? Have you seen the Chuckle Brothers?