Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGD

STATE OF ORIGIN - THE DECIDER - NSW vs QLD - Wed 17 July

55 posts in this topic

Well, I wonder what David Moyes is making of this contest. Didn't expect to see him there.

He used to invite Saints to train at Everton when millward was there. There was a story that after training the Everton players would just walk off leaving empty drinks bottles and cones and equipment everywhere. Moyes couldn't believe that at the end of a session the Saints players would automatically go round picking everything up.

80 minutes of relentless entertainment

Don't worry; someone will be along with a whinge shortly. ;)

Don't worry; someone will be along with a whinge shortly. ;)

*looks for RL journos on twitter*

Well.

Ok, congrats to QLD. Already were, but just reaffirming themselves as best Origin team ever. They didn't do that easy, but they won away again. NSW were tough.

Thought it was a great game, worthy of an Origin decider. You'll have to excuse this New South Welshman if I'm not any more superlative than that tonight though.

Really unlucky to lose Lewis for the remainder of the match. Arguably our best player this series and has been a huge threat on that right edge, but that's footy.

I'm on holidays. Currently in Macau which is proving to be pretty damn awesome so I'm gonna go back to holiday mode and enjoying myself. Did the world's highest bungee jump today off Macau Tower, my first bungee ever. Super duper fun, but I was WAY more nervous watching tonight's game.

Back to it.

Isn't it about time they binned this State of Origin malarkey. What is it now? Eight series on the trot. Or how about giving Western Australia a go instead of NSW. They can't be less competitive can they?

Isn't it about time they binned this State of Origin malarkey. What is it now? Eight series on the trot. Or how about giving Western Australia a go instead of NSW. They can't be less competitive can they?

With a young side lacking two of its best players NSW lost the deciding game by 2 points to arguably one of the greatest Origin teams ever. Binning it would be rather drastic.

:D

fantastic game, brill to watch, as tough as it gets good to see the whole united team seeing some tough stuff they might not fall over so easy next time ;)

oh and they should ban the muppet that ran on the pitch for life, spoiled what was setting up to be a superb finish.

Greg Bird threw in a couple of dives that would have been fully appreciated by the Man U squad!

Naughty! :D

Don't know how many may have seen this, but these are some serious numbers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/state-of-origin-twitter-impressions-boosted-to-over-a-billion-by-football-loving-celebrities/story-e6frg6n6-1226681793283

State of Origin Twitter impressions boosted to over a billion by football-loving celebrities

FOOTBALL-LOVING celebrities helped the NRL generate more than a billion Twitter impressions across the State of Origin series, rivalling social media campaigns run by global giants like the U.S. Super Bowl.

Amazing TV ratings and attendance records for Origin decider and 2013 series.

http://www.nrl.com/origin-iii-breaks-television-records/tabid/10874/newsid/73541/default.aspx

In short:

- Highest rating Rugby League match of all time.

- Highest rating Origin match of all time.

- Highest rating Origin series of all time.

- Biggest attendance for an Origin match.

- Biggest attendance for an Origin series.

Rugby League was also the most watched program Wednesday in AFL heartlands, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Wow.

thats fantastic coverage if only we could generate a 10th of that.

Fantastic for southern hemosphere rugby league.

Surely ther'll come a point were the NRL will need to accept clubs from the islands in order to keep the sport growing thus leading to two divisions?

Fantastic for southern hemosphere rugby league.

Surely ther'll come a point were the NRL will need to accept clubs from the islands in order to keep the sport growing thus leading to two divisions?

Which Clubs are you talking about?

There is already two competitions that sit below the NRL in  QLD and NSW

Which Clubs are you talking about?

There is already two competitions that sit below the NRL in  QLD and NSW

I can't honestly see any pacific island teams entering the NRL, ever. IMO The only likely pacific team to be playing in an Australian competition would be a port moresby based PNG side competing in the Queensland cup, as countries like tonga, Samoa, cook islands don't have either the populations or the economies to support them and in the cases of Fiji(1 million people) and png(5-6 million people) although with larger populations they are still 3rd world countries. Doesn't the opening up of new TV markets and audiences play a large part in expansion in the NRL? Like western Australia, south Australia, south island new Zealand etc.

I can't honestly see any pacific island teams entering the NRL, ever. IMO The only likely pacific team to be playing in an Australian competition would be a port moresby based PNG side competing in the Queensland cup, as countries like tonga, Samoa, cook islands don't have either the populations or the economies to support them and in the cases of Fiji(1 million people) and png(5-6 million people) although with larger populations they are still 3rd world countries. Doesn't the opening up of new TV markets and audiences play a large part in expansion in the NRL? Like western Australia, south Australia, south island new Zealand etc.

Walter you summed it up in a nutshell.

Walter you summed it up in a nutshell.

Cheers andy, I maybe imagining things but wasn't there a guy from south Africa interested in getting a south African side in the NRL or it could have been Wellington NZ? Either way do you think we'll ever see a south African NRL side?