Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cockney4league

This might be obvious but not to a Londoner

29 posts in this topic

Goes back a long time.   When Harold Wagstaff died in 1939 there was a wreath laid on his coffin with gold lillies and claret carnations and the inscription "From the boys of the Fartown football team"

Interestingly, when I was a kid Huddersfield RU club were sometimes known as "Waterloo", which is the part of the town they played in at the time.

You said interesting and then mentioned rugby union.

Goes back a long time. When Harold Wagstaff died in 1939 there was a wreath laid on his coffin with gold lillies and claret carnations and the inscription "From the boys of the Fartown football team"

Interestingly, when I was a kid Huddersfield RU club were sometimes known as "Waterloo", which is the part of the town they played in at the time.

Steve's inability to recognise that Fartown don't exist post merger always raises a smile with me. For such an intelligent bloke that makes a habit of sticking to facts he has one hell of a blind spot.

And this  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have been to matches there (nice clubhouse, though).

And this ADOPTED  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have played there  for Huddersfield Polytechnic in the local works RL trophy in 1978 (nice clubhouse, though).

And this ADOPTED  Londoner's even had the misfortune to have played there  for Huddersfield Polytechnic in the local works RL trophy in 1978 (nice clubhouse, though).

Then you played against me when I was at Salford Tech (as mentioned on another thread) - or was that 1979?