Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
League Express

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

4,790 posts in this topic

Correct

Bye bye expansion

And expansion is going to happen under the current system?

I am going to reserve judgement until the plans are fully defined, agreed, voted on, approved and in action.  Even the press release is equivocal: "once the RFL Executive has delivered its report into the 12-team Super League options."

Hope not. What I'd rather see is players contracts which are null and void if a club is relegated so that the club is not burdened with failures

And what player in his right mind is going to sign a contract which only guarantees one years pay?

So far all that appears to have been decided is how many teams will comprise Superleague in 2015.  The method of maintaining that number hasn't yet been decided.  The clubs from the championships and community game will be giving their vote on how that is achieved.  The number of SL clubs was always a separate issue as only the SL clubs had the power to decide that (as explained by one of the council types from the RFL on Boots n All last week).  I would imagine there is the possibility of qualified P&R or perhaps even retaining some form of licensing.  I don't believe that the only two options on the table are those mentioned in the press release.  I think that is just RFL spin because their interest lies with the 12 into three 8s option.

Hope not. What I'd rather see is players contracts which are null and void if a club is relegated so that the club is not burdened with failures

This is a good idea but would players sign up to this agreement? It would surely have to be agreed across all the clubs to include the contract clause.

I'm in favour of 12 teams for Superleague.  It's our elite competition.  We don't have a big enough player pool to provide an elite standard of competition within a 14 team league.

I don't know the figures but I am sure there's far less overseas players now than there were during P&R. It's taken some time but the licensing system worked in bringing through more homegrown players as clubs can afford to blood youngsters without the threat of relegation. Now we'll soon see a revert back to the panic buy of overseas players again. Clubs need to concentrate on improving their youth system and bringing through homegrown players rather than over spending on overseas players.

The same panic buying happens in soccer due to relegation and then clubs are screwed financially as a result. Only have to look at QPR - if it wasn't for the cash cow they'd be done for like Portsmouth.

I have not seen wholescale reductions or even rule changes to lower the influx. I dont like overseas players either, but why cant there be a 1 or 2 overseas player rule under P&R? I suspect it is the top teams who want to still be able to get hold of 5 top Aussies/Kiwis

You seriously think they will see out the 2014 season?

Dunno - there is no P&R next year so maybe not!

I'm in favour of 12 teams for Superleague. It's our elite competition. We don't have a big enough player pool to provide an elite standard of competition within a 14 team league.

Huddersfield v Catalans was a top 8 game and was garbage. It happens and will happen with 12 or 10 or even 6. What has happened is that people have kept repeating that we don't have enough players until enough started to believe it.

And what player in his right mind is going to sign a contract which only guarantees one years pay?

This should be in the small print for all players in SL

Dunno - there is no P&R next year so maybe not!

So how you going to go to these much more exciting games with no club?

So how you going to go to these much more exciting games with no club?

Ever heard of the Skolars?

So, what has been decided at this point?

The fact that they are reverting to 12 teams tells me more than enough about the ambition of the clubs and hence the British game. And I aren't sure I want to be part of it.

I have not seen wholescale reductions or even rule changes to lower the influx. I dont like overseas players either, but why cant there be a 1 or 2 overseas player rule under P&R? I suspect it is the top teams who want to still be able to get hold of 5 top Aussies/Kiwis

I'm not sure if the employment laws would allow such a rule but its a good idea. That's obviously how some clubs are spending beyond their means and this must surely be substantially accounting to their losses. If clubs weren't so shortsighted and gave more youngsters/championship players a run then they may not be making such losses! Hard to know for sure without seeing accounts of course.

Ever heard of the Skolars?

What do they have to do with the Broncos?

RIP British Rugby League. Any good players should get out now and move to the NRL. Super League is finished.

In 5 years SL will be comprised of small Northern Town teams (plus Leeds), with only 2 strong teams and the others having 10-11 Qld Cup standard Aussies (to avoid relegation). The game is over here at any elite level.

At least Fev and Leigh fans will be happy they will get to yo-yo every few years- except the SL standard would have dropped to current Championship standards, so there is no point.

Soooo much doom and gloom, this can work.....breeeath please everyone

The SL clubs have decided to reduce their numbers to 12 which means, depending on what happens re.Toulouse, up to 3 current SL clubs will be off-loaded.

Do the Championship clubs have a say on who they accept in to their competition and what a furore there would be if they decided not to accept the 3 SL clubs in to their competition?

A quick question for hopefully someone with more information: does the P&R option have minimum criteria for promotion to the top level or is it just straight P&R regardless of whether it's a fully pro setup or a council field with man+dog capacity?

A quick question for hopefully someone with more information: does the P&R option have minimum criteria for promotion to the top level or is it just straight P&R regardless of whether it's a fully pro setup or a council field with man+dog capacity?

"Whatever the new competition structure looks like, clubs will still have to meet minimum standards in key areas in line with commercial and broadcast agreements, although greater emphasis will be placed on playing performance. "

The above is quoted from

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/about_the_rfl/policyreviewfaqs

"Whatever the new competition structure looks like, clubs will still have to meet minimum standards in key areas in line with commercial and broadcast agreements, although greater emphasis will be placed on playing performance. "

The above is quoted from

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/about_the_rfl/policyreviewfaqs

Hmmm... I'd like to see more detail on this as I'd rather they didn't water down the off-field criteria that much. Thanks for that though.

The fact that they are reverting to 12 teams tells me more than enough about the ambition of the clubs and hence the British game. And I aren't sure I want to be part of it.

It only tells you the bare bones.

Almost more annoyingly we've currently only heard officially from Jon Wilkin where is our SL spokesperson?

Wilkin stated that our player pool was too low to accommodate a 14 team league and that teams were forced to buy overseas and spend beyond their means - what a load of rubbish. London Broncos have brought through many homegrown Londoners and assuming they're relegated will now be lost to RU or the championship - these players will not suddenly be spread between the remaining SL teams. This move of P&R will more likely mean an increase in overseas players as clubs fear relegation. Such a poor interview makes our game look like a farce.

I'd disagree. The ones who are SL standard will be bought up. The ones who drop down to the Championship will be the ones who were not quite good enough for SL. Rugby union might take them but it won't be the big clubs - they are interested in big name RL players not youngsters at a struggling club.

I feared this was going to happen. It's clear that it was a struggle to run a 14-team league in this economic situation and this kind of decision was always likely.