Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
League Express

The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

4,790 posts in this topic

When asked about a sliding scale of funding in SL2 and why it wasn't the same in SL1 the reply was to bring the top of SL2 closer to Sl1 but if they did the sliding scale in SL1 there would be a distortion. When a similar point was raised about a top Championship club getting £500k+ and a lower club getting say £150k the reply was that the lower club had to work harder to get further up the league in the following season. That's all very well when you are already setting off at least £350k behind!!!!

Indeed, but maybe the driving factor here is saving Superleague and after SL1 and the promotion candidates the rest are bit part players?

How can making another 50-80 sub-standard players full-time going to increase the intensity of SL? This will mean we have 400 full-time players across 1 and a half divisions - with only around 40%  of them actually being elite standard.

Crazy.

I agree I wish we had taken the billion pound TV deal we were offered.

Mate by the end of season 1 of the 3 ring circus we'll be wishing that we'd got a future deal set up with Eurosport 8 (the Ocho)

Two regional divisions apparently. One quite big, the other quite small.

I've no idea how they'll manage the transfer of clubs between these divisions whilst maintaining a regional split. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was at the meeting with 3 other reps from our Supporters Club.  The rep from Hemel Stags asked whether the third teir (Championship One) would be a national league.  The answer was a definite yes.  He was concerned that a regional split would not give Hemel competitive games against the Northern Region Clubs. It was confirmed that the competition would be national.  There may be some games that would not be home and away depending on how many teams they actually ended up with in the league and how many games were to be played in that league. If for example there were 14 teams but less than 26 games were to be played then there may be less games against your furthest opponent E.g. a London team may only play a Cumbrian team once a season.

By the way about 45 to 50 people actually made the meeting.  The RFL reason their arguments succinctly and were robustly challenged on occasion.  Whilst we didn't get firm answers on all aspects of the Policy Review, I believe the answers given were honest and well reasoned.  There are still many areas for further development and finer detail at least we know the emphasis is on the 12x2 changing to 8x3 after two rounds.

We can't say it wasn't coming but putting my own views to one side, I hope the announcement is accompanied by transparency and detailed rationale from the RFL and the clubs in the days to come.

what was said about the extra money from Sky that's supposed to be in the pipeline.

Wrt toulouse, it's got to be all or ###### all hasn't it? We've seen what happens if you put them in the second tier (I don't care what you call it) and it isn't pretty...

Wrt toulouse, it's got to be all or ###### all hasn't it? We've seen what happens if you put them in the second tier (I don't care what you call it) and it isn't pretty...

It looks like they are in SL2 if they want to join our leagues. But havnt they got a sugar daddy? If so being in SL2 shouldn't inconvience them too much as it shouldn't take them long to get out of it. But if they were in SL1 surely they would be favs for the drop anyway wouldn't they?

Edited by thundergaz

It looks like they are in SL2 if they want to join our leagues. But havnt they got a sugar daddy? If so being in SL2 shouldn't inconvience them too much as it shouldn't take them long to get out of it. But if they were in SL1 surely they would be favs for the drop anyway wouldn't they?

I'd have thought so, but not if they get all the supposed funding...

I'd have thought so, but not if they get all the supposed funding...

Surely its a risk though for them and the RFL if the funding doesn't come off we could end up with another crusaders..(not saying that will happen but it is a scenario).

But if they go into SL2 we risk another, er, Toulouse! They already 'failed' in the second tier.

People on these forums have told us that ther is guarenteed funding for a professional toulouse club.

If they come into a SL2 with P&R and with the guarentee of 3 or 400k from the rfl then surely these people will still step forward?

People on these forums have told us that ther is guarenteed funding for a professional toulouse club.

If they come into a SL2 with P&R and with the guarentee of 3 or 400k from the rfl then surely these people will still step forward?

People have also said that these sponsors will not stop forward for anything but SL. I don't think that this includes SL2.

People have also said that these sponsors will not stop forward for anything but SL. I don't think that this includes SL2.

If that is the case then The funding won't be happening as they are in SL2 if they join our leagues.

Well i'd prefere to see them go straight into SL1 but tbh i'd need to see names and faces and garenttee's of how much money they will invest upto 2020.

RL feels like a dying sport "off the field" at the moment,the last thing fans need to see is more underhand dealings going on to favour certain clubs

Well i'd prefere to see them go straight into SL1 but tbh i'd need to see names and faces and garenttee's of how much money they will invest upto 2020.

RL feels like a dying sport "off the field" at the moment,the last thing fans need to see is more underhand dealings going on to favour certain clubs

This would be my preferred option too, but apparently until the SL spot (presumably SL1) is awarded them there'll be no guaranteed dough

To be honest, I'd much rather the RFL  etc have concentrated on making the current structure work with a few tweaks and more robust policing. The ambition of clubs like Featherstone Rovers inside the licensing scheme is about to bear fruit.

However, there has been a huge amount of criticism, certainly on here anyway, of the present system with critics frequently asserting that whatever the RFL has done has been done without consultation behind closed doors  and  is automatically wrong.

Now that the RFL is working with the clubs with a remarkable degree of transparency, and with more and more detail emerging all the time, guess what? Is STILL wrong!

Comments coming from Solly and Rimmer failing to get me excited about this. I think the worst thing about this switch to 3x8s is going to be Eddie Hemmings insisting on attempting to explain it every week on SKYs RL coverage!.. that and Stevo on backchat tonight..

Oh Christ...

I really dislike this proposal and haven't made any secret of it but, knowing both of the people named above, I know a LOT of thought will have gone into this.

I still don't like it but, knowing Blake, the research going into it will have been incredibly in depth.

If there has been so much thought and research then why isn't that being shared?

This would be my preferred option too, but apparently until the SL spot (presumably SL1) is awarded them there'll be no guaranteed dough

Thats like holding the whole sport to ransom and that cant happen anymore,we need to move away from this kind of behaviour

If there has been so much thought and research then why isn't that being shared?

One of the last questions - from a lady from the Huddersgield Giants I think was regarding this matter.  One gentleman in attendance commented that if the proposed structure had been explained as fully as it was last night there may have been less vocal objection.  The lady from the Giants asked if once the decision on the structure was confirmed would the RFL release a public document on the matter.  The answer was yes.

what was said about the extra money from Sky that's supposed to be in the pipeline.

All projections that were discussed were based on current Sky funding, however projections showed an increase in attendance and by implication TV viewers.  It was reasoned that closed, competitive and more meaningful games would improve the game as a package to sell to broadcasters.