Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoytonRoughyed

EDM 391

67 posts in this topic

Greg Mulholland has started an Early Day Motion in the house of commons for The England RL team to have a seperate national anthem from God Save the Queen based on that being the British anthem and England are England. What are Peoples thoughts on this? For the récord Id love Jerusalem

We used to have Land of Hope & Glory and we really should do again.

I'd prefer Land of Hope and Glory, but one thing I've noticed is that hardly anyone knows the words beyond the first couple of lines.

At least with God Save The Queen, everyone knows it.

We used to have Land of Hope & Glory and we really should do again.

Bit imperialistic, isn't it?

At least Jerusalem means different things to different people, according to their understanding of its origins. And it's a thumping tune.

Speaking as a humanist, I'm not sure what I'd replace God Save the Queen with! I'd stick with it out of tradition alone (just about the only reason I'd have god mentioned) but if I wanted to replace it I'd like to do so with something a little more secular. That said there currently aren't that many stirring songs that are great to belt out if a crowded stadium and secular to boot!

At least Jerusalem means different things to different people, according to their understanding of its origins. And it's a thumping tune.

Not really no, Rule Britannia might be though.

I like Jerusalem, but again no one knows the words

Too wrapped up in RU for me... also why would anyone want to build Jerusalem in Englands green and pleasant land when its been the centre of so much trouble.

Speaking as a humanist, I'm not sure what I'd replace God Save the Queen with! I'd stick with it out of tradition alone (just about the only reason I'd have god mentioned) but if I wanted to replace it I'd like to do so with something a little more secular. That said there currently aren't that many stirring songs that are great to belt out if a crowded stadium and secular to boot!

I struggle with the god bit as well

Soul Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones. You know it makes sense! :P

roxette for mine

God save your queen, long to reign over you etc

Great for winding up the Aussies

Can't see how it can! They voted to keep her in a referendum not long ago!

I think it was Billy Connolly who suggested the theme from "The Archers", without words just "rum ti rum ti tum!".......classic!!

:jester:

What does an EDM do? This decision is nothing to do with politicians.

Anything but GSTQ. No ###### sings along and it's rubbish anyway.

I'd have Jerusalem.

Happy with God Save the Queen - plenty sing along to it.

We had a spell where we used Land of Hope and Glory as a secondary anthem, often used for the team walking out, or just prior - I liked that approach.

Jerusalem is pretty well owned by the other code isn't it?

Why would anyone want that anyway, its not a great song by any means.

Jerusalem is pretty well owned by the other code isn't it?

Why would anyone want that anyway, its not a great song by any means.

Jerusalem is by no means 'owned' by RU whatsoever. It's more linked to England (however mythical the source) than saving the bloody queen. All I ever see is a few mumbled lines of GSTQ. ...if that.

Jerusalem is by no means 'owned' by RU whatsoever. It's more linked to England (however mythical the source) than saving the bloody queen. All I ever see is a few mumbled lines of GSTQ. ...if that.

England cricket walk out to Jerusalem now.

Jerusalem is more RL than anything id say.. have always loved singing it at the Challenge Cup. Challenge cup tradition!..

I'd stick with GSTQ.. sung with gusto it gets the blood pumping. And sing Jerusalem as the players walk out..

Anything but GSTQ. No ###### sings along and it's rubbish anyway.

I'd have Jerusalem.

You should stand next to me at the next international if you think no one sings it! ;)

My experience is wildly different. At the last Four Nations final between England and Australia at Elland Road, the national anthem (GSTQ) was belted out with plenty of gusto, sent shivers down the spine. It's all part of the fun, it doesn't have to mean you're a rabid monarchist or a christian, just as waving the Union Flag at an England game instead of the Flag of St George (as many people still do) doesn't mean you've turned up to the wrong event.

People take this stuff far too seriously IMO.

You should stand next to me at the next international if you think no one sings it! ;)

My experience is wildly different. At the last Four Nations final between England and Australia at Elland Road, the national anthem (GSTQ) was belted out with plenty of gusto, sent shivers down the spine. It's all part of the fun, it doesn't have to mean you're a rabid monarchist or a christian, just as waving the Union Flag at an England game instead of the Flag of St George (as many people still do) doesn't mean you've turned up to the wrong event.

People take this stuff far too seriously IMO.

Yep - singing the anthem at Wembley is absolutely part of the build up.