Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Privatisation of Royal Mail: Are you ready to deliver your own letters?

38 posts in this topic

What letters? I haven't written a letter for about thirty years!

If it is turning a profit, why sell it surely we the tax payers already own it a benefit from the money it puts into the exchequer.

If it is turning a profit, why sell it surely we the tax payers already own it a benefit from the money it puts into the exchequer.

We do indeed own it, yet I haven't had the form where I get to tell them whether they can put prices of stamps up.

Letter posted from Manchester on 28th still hasn't found my house 15 days later, a distance of less than 30 miles. I sent a parcel from work to Belgium last week, less than 24 hours later it's there.

The only "post" I've received this week has been junk mail, delivered by the royal mail.

correct, but this sale is an ideological one.

Nothing more than making a quick buck and to hell with the long term consequences, if the labour party support this then should hang their head in shame.

Indeed.

correct, but this sale is an ideological one.

It's also a financially driven one view to achieving an electoral benefit, a bit like the privatisations in the 1980s. The difference now is that there is little left for the government to sell off. There are parts of the Royal Mail service that private companies are not interested in providing at a nationally even cost eg a six day a week service to places in the back of beyond. Will there be guarantees that this will be maintained by a privatised service? How long will such  guarantees last as letter writing declines?

It's also a financially driven one view to achieving an electoral benefit, a bit like the privatisations in the 1980s. The difference now is that there is little left for the government to sell off. There are parts of the Royal Mail service that private companies are not interested in providing at a nationally even cost eg a six day a week service to places in the back of beyond. Will there be guarantees that this will be maintained by a privatised service? How long will such  guarantees last as letter writing declines?

I think from past experience we can be sure that any guarantees on service levels will be forgotten about once the shares have all been sold. Prices will rocket, service levels will fall and there will be nothing anyone can do about it.

I think from past experience we can be sure that any guarantees on service levels will be forgotten about once the shares have all been sold. Prices will rocket, service levels will fall and there will be nothing anyone can do about it.

Agreed.

Nothing more than making a quick buck and to hell with the long term consequences, if the labour party support this then should hang their head in shame.

it was the labour party who had the initial idea. Good old Mandelson

Mandelson, Blair, brown etc in fact new labour are just Tories in disguise, conservative light.

But the Parliamentary Labour Party had people in it who scuppered the plans. Do the Tories? Do the Lib Dems?

All too true, unfortunately :(

Mandelson began maneuvering towards this years ago when they allowed private companies to start delivering mail. Of course what these did was pinch the profitable bits of Royal Mail while leaving the costly bits alone. No wonder RM were losing money when the 'competition' stacked everything in the favour of the private companies.

Would 3/4 days a week deliveries really be too bad? 

Surly these days we send parcels via private efficient firms anyway? Time critical information is often done via e-mail anyway. 

Surly these days we send parcels via private efficient firms anyway? Time critical information is often done via e-mail anyway.

It would be bad for the workforce of royal mail, large job losses.

It would be bad for the workforce of royal mail, large job losses.

Which may have been already off-set by the growth of parcel delivery firms in recent years due to buying off the internet. 

We should not simply employ people for the sake of it. We should employ them if its necessary to employ them. Happens in the real world.

Which may have been already off-set by the growth of parcel delivery firms in recent years due to buying off the internet. 

We should not simply employ people for the sake of it. We should employ them if its necessary to employ them. Happens in the real world.

Royal mail is obliged to deliver to every address in the UK 6 days a week and has recently posted an annual profit of £440 million, that's sounds pretty "necessary" to me to employ them.

There is no competition or commercial reason for the Royal Mail to be privatised.  None of the commercial operators want the last-mile work as it's just too expensive but have been happy to whine their way through successive Parliaments getting competition rights for the profitable parts.  Despite all that, the Royal Mail is still profitable and should be kept as a key nationalised asset out of the hands of those who'll degrade service year on year to make year on year increases in short-term profits.

There is no competition or commercial reason for the Royal Mail to be privatised.  None of the commercial operators want the last-mile work as it's just too expensive but have been happy to whine their way through successive Parliaments getting competition rights for the profitable parts.  Despite all that, the Royal Mail is still profitable and should be kept as a key nationalised asset out of the hands of those who'll degrade service year on year to make year on year increases in short-term profits.

Agreed, I think that this government has seriously underestimated the British publics opposition to the privatization of the royal mail.

Agreed, I think that this government has seriously underestimated the British publics opposition to the privatization of the royal mail.

Oh christ.

27 million people voted at the last election. 24 million voted for this sort of stuff: further privatisation of the nhs, atos assessments, massive spending cuts, etc etc. The public really don't give a toss who delivers their mail as long as it gets there in timely fashion.

That's too simplistic a view. Private does not always equal efficient or even remotely competent in some cases, I can assure you of that. Just look at the G4S/Serco thread for proof! Private delivery companies are just as prone to losing or delaying items as Royal Mail, in many cases, they are worse.

Subscribers to League Express, for example, expect to receive their copy as soon as possible after the Monday publication date through the postal system. The only company that offers a next day service for this kind of post, across the whole country, at an affordable price is Royal Mail. If they drop that in favour of 3/4 days a week deliveries, as you suggest, just to allow them to cut staff and increase profit, they will kill our subscription service dead. There is no other company able or willing to step into the breach. How many other small businesses would be in the same boat as LPL? Many, I would hazard a guess at.

Royal Mail is profitable now, doing what it does, better than many of its rivals, and it is still in public hands. Why change that? It can only be dogma.