Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winnyason

Where do France go if Toulouse don't get in sl

231 posts in this topic

how many of the made redundant develpment officers could be supported on this money?

I agree with that. If the game ever wants to get more professional sides, it needs to supplement those ideas with players of the required standard. We are well short of that at present... Increasing the overall player pool is incredibly important; it is currently diminishing.

I'm also at odds with this 'whole game concept', firstly because it isnt a plan which develops the game as a whole, particularly in developing areas and at grass roots, secondly I dont see the logic in trying to stretch 50 million across 2 divisions when super league is supposed to stand for elite competition.

A quick question aimed at everyone really, do Catalans receive a share of the SKY money now or are they self-financed?

Catalans receive the same share as every other club but are obviously at the mercy of currency fluctuations as to how much they actually receive. To counter that their salary cap is set at 2m Euros rather than £s which works in their favour currently.

Catalans receive the same share as every other club but are obviously at the mercy of currency fluctuations as to how much they actually receive. To counter that their salary cap is set at 2m Euros rather than £s which works in their favour currently.

Thanks Derwent. I wasn't sure so didn't want to start 'gobbing' off about something and make a fool out of myself! :D

(Awaiting the obvious responses to that last part...)

Moi?

Too right vou, stop thinking and finding out facts before jumping in 2 footed for God's sake.

Too right vou, stop thinking and finding out facts before jumping in 2 footed for God's sake.

Sorry sir! ;)

That's a bit of selective memory there Parky, it's not quite true. They said they'd back Toulouse IF they brought a cast-iron French TV deal with them that was going to benefit everyone financially.

Guilty M'Lud. I assume therefore if they had had a French TV deal they would get straight into SL1.

Toulouse have a business plan that generates cash, let them in SL2 and allow them an unlimited cap but no funding from sky year 1

If they back themselves they could be in SL1 in 2016

Toulouse have a business plan that generates cash, let them in SL2 and allow them an unlimited cap but no funding from sky year 1

If they back themselves they could be in SL1 in 2016

The RFL have stated that Toulouse will not be considered if they don't bring a TV contract with them. They will not get a TV contract to play in what is effectively the Championship.

They will not get a TV contract to play in what is effectively the Championship.

Are you a French TV executive?

If not, how can you possibly know that?

It is not "effectively" the championship, it's the 2nd division of Super League and Toulouse would have just as much chance as anyone else of achieving promotion, which may or may not be of interest to French TV companies.

Toulouse would be a valauable addition to the new league set up, but they must stand on their own two feet and must play by the same rules as everyone else.

Are you a French TV executive?

If not, how can you possibly know that?

It is not "effectively" the championship, it's the 2nd division of Super League and Toulouse would have just as much chance as anyone else of achieving promotion, which may or may not be of interest to French TV companies.

Toulouse would be a valauable addition to the new league set up, but they must stand on their own two feet and must play by the same rules as everyone else.

Is Toulouse vs Leigh or Whitehaven going to sell TV deals to the wider French public? Look what Cliff Spracklen has said on this thread and on countless others. We are deluding themselves if we think anything else and we are certainly deluding ourselves if we think a 'SL2' is anything of the sort other than a second tier division. The commercial value of that division will be minimal, just like it is now no matter how the RFL try to dress it up.

Another opportunity to the game will be lost if Toulouse aren't admitted into the top tier with exemption from relegation along with Catalans. Same old story...

The commercial value of that division will be minimal, just like it is now no matter how the RFL try to dress it up.

Is that the same 2nd tier that currently has a title sponsor, remind me again which league doesn't?

Is Toulouse vs Leigh or Whitehaven going to sell TV deals to the wider French public? Look what Cliff Spracklen has said on this thread and on countless others. We are deluding themselves if we think anything else and we are certainly deluding ourselves if we think a 'SL2' is anything of the sort other than a second tier division. The commercial value of that division will be minimal, just like it is now no matter how the RFL try to dress it up.

Another opportunity to the game will be lost if Toulouse aren't admitted into the top tier with exemption from relegation along with Catalans. Same old story...

Would catalans be exempt from relegation? They've had a while to build now...

Is that the same 2nd tier that currently has a title sponsor, remind me again which league doesn't?

You'll get no arguments from me on that issue; it is appalling SL doesn't have a sponsor. The CEO should have fallen on his sword on that one. The previous point still stands though.

Would catalans be exempt from relegation? They've had a while to build now...

No they have been told they won't. An absolutely stupid decision when the RFL are trying to attract TV-interest in France. SL would be instantly have no commercial value to French TV companies without French representation in SL... Income streams are vital to the game's future and we would be throwing away a potential massive area to tap into and reducing the market appeal to investment for our game. These proposals are not good for the longevity of the game.

You'll get no arguments from me on that issue; it is appalling SL doesn't have a sponsor. The CEO should have fallen on his sword on that one. The previous point still stands though.

No they have been told they won't. An absolutely stupid decision when the RFL are trying to attract TV-interest in France. SL would be instantly have no commercial value to French TV companies without French representation in SL... Income streams are vital to the game's future and we would be throwing away a potential massive area to tap into and reducing the market appeal to investment for our game. These proposals are not good for the longevity of the game.

yes, that's right - somewhere on the rfl website is a page on the restructuring and it plainly says London & Catalan will not be exempt from relegation. It also says TO will only be in if they bring a French TV deal with them.

Personally if French TV puts up 1/12 of whatever Sky or BT Sport come up with for SL1 then they should have a French spot in SL1. If they want to cough up 1/6 then they can have two. If they want to double it they can have 6!

If I had to choose between an away game at Leigh Halifax or fev as opposed to one at Toulouse it would be a no brainer

A weekend in the south of France to watch the rugby eating and drinking and carousing is one of life's pure joys

Presumably you would have the cup final played at cleckheaton for the same reason.

what about the majority of fans that cant afford to swan round the south of france stuffing their faces 

what about the majority of fans that cant afford to swan round the south of france stuffing their faces

We have shut up because Toulouse is the answer to all super leagues problems... Apparently

We have shut up because Toulouse is the answer to all super leagues problems... Apparently

Toulouse aren't the answer to all the problems currently encountered in the game. They will however make the game more appealing to potential sponsors in both the UK and France, which is vital to the financial well being of the game. Tie that in with a form of P&R to suit the needs of the average RL fan and you might help the game further. But even that doesn't resolve the vitally important issue of player production, player participation and retention, arguably THE most important issue.

Toulouse aren't the answer to all the problems currently encountered in the game. They will however make the game more appealing to potential sponsors in both the UK and France, which is vital to the financial well being of the game. Tie that in with a form of P&R to suit the needs of the average RL fan and you might help the game further. But even that doesn't resolve the vitally important issue of player production, player participation and retention, arguably THE most important issue.

But in truth you'll also lose the potential sponsorships of betting companies and alcohol business....... TBF they're massive businesses to miss out on, massive..... And some prestigious names.

In honesty, I genuinely don't see which British sponsors that would find SL more attractive because of the presence of two French teams. Which sponsors are these?

But in truth you'll also lose the potential sponsorships of betting companies and alcohol business....... TBF they're massive businesses to miss out on, massive..... And some prestigious names.

Heineken don't sponsor union's major Euro club competition then?

They do. But there are major teams in the Heineken cup in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and france. That includes teams in paris, London and Dublin. And I think Heineken started sponsoring before that law came in so everyone knows full well what the craic is.

Not necessarily. Catalans are in SL at present and that hasn't stopped the likes of Foxy Bingo and Tetley's getting involved with SL or the Challenge Cup. Betfair were interested as well despite the French presence.

In honesty, I genuinely don't see which British sponsors that would find SL more attractive because of the presence of two French teams. Which sponsors are these?

I don't know. I am not a marketing man but from my A-level in Business and Economics, it certainly opens up the opportunities for businesses looking to invest in sponsorship deals for new markets etc. It also works the other and considering Toulouse is the third largest city in France with a probable economy bigger than most of the SL club areas put together, you do have to ask the question, are we really missing a trick to improve our commercial value?

Dave T's input into this would be very interesting. It may shut me up of course but it would be beneficial. :D