Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bomballey

Ray err French err today

35 posts in this topic

I like Ray French. He may be past his best but he's a familiar voice and one that I've identified with over the years. He's the Bill McLaren or Richie Benaud of rugby league

He's very clear in his diction if you overlook the stumbles, not a broad accent at all. Though I agree he would probably be a better pundit than commentator.

I have to agree with the criticism. Generally speaking, not just about Ray here, I don't know how they're (commentators) allowed to get away with their rank amateurism.

Just basic things like stammering and generally tripping over their tongue and not being all that literate and having really strong accents. You couldn't get away with it in a minimum wage telesales job, how it's acceptable for guys providing national commentary for a professional sport is beyond me. The fact that these guys have a job at all, nevermind at the BBC, is mind boggling.

What is wrong with having strong accents?

Those who don't happen to live within 20 miles of where they are from can hardly understand a word you're saying? 

I can understand all of the guys who commentate on the beeb, and I reckon I live a good 600 miles away from most of them...

Nothing per se, but personally I find that strong Yorks or Lancs accents, in a rugby league setting, just reinforce the M62 image which we've battling against for ever and a day.

But equally - just because we want to include those from further afield doesn't mean we should exclude those that already have RL at heart...

Who was the man who did the commentry on the short lived "Scrum down" program. -  he was very good but I can't remember his name.

Who was the man who did the commentry on the short lived "Scrum down" program. -  he was very good but I can't remember his name.

John Helm now commentates regularly on all sorts of FIFA tournaments around the world for the "international feed". You probably won't hear him much in Britain as the British channels have their own commentators. He recently did the U20s tournament in Turkey, did the Euros last year and the World Club Championship. 

John Helm now commentates regularly on all sorts of FIFA tournaments around the world for the "international feed". You probably won't hear him much in Britain as the British channels have their own commentators. He recently did the U20s tournament in Turkey, did the Euros last year and the World Club Championship. 

Yes, thats the man, John Helm - an excellent commentator. Thanks for that.