Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keighley

The advantages of DR to Championship clubs in revue

82 posts in this topic

If Skolars and Hemel are to exist as farm clubs to the Bronco's then thats fine, but quite frankly when they get to finals and such it dont really mean as much as it should does it?

Skolars have got to a final and it means a heck of a lot to us.

Skolars are in a play off position in 5th with 2 games in hand. They have never before qualified for the play offs.

Broncos' other DR club Hemel are in 3rd

What part of "barely in touch with the playoffs" did you not understand?. I did not say they were not in a playoff spot. Skolars were being touted as possible champions or top contenders due to their DR players and ,in my opinion, have underachieved this season given that they have had access to Broncos SL players. Hemel do not seem to fit the DR mould as they are a new entry and have signed many of their own players as well as building a stand at their ground.

Workington got to call on (mostly) young good players when we were lacking through injury and suspension, something we have struggled with over the past 3 seasons when we have consistently ran out of players. This meant we could continue to compete with other clubs, meaning a more competitive league rather than getting shallackings when we were down to dragging in ex players and local kids. What good would those beating have done those young players?

Fair enough, but come the playoffs or later season games which might make or break Town,s season, it is to be hoped that Widnes still are making players available.

What part of "barely in touch with the playoffs" did you not understand?. I did not say they were not in a playoff spot. Skolars were being touted as possible champions or top contenders due to their DR players and ,in my opinion, have underachieved this season given that they have had access to Broncos SL players. Hemel do not seem to fit the DR mould as they are a new entry and have signed many of their own players as well as building a stand at their ground.

Not sure why you have to be so aggressive with your response. Pathetic and unnecessary.

Hemel have an identical DR arrangement to Skolars.

Skolars have always had access to Broncos players. That is not the reason why they are underachieving this season. It is also not the reason why they were being touted as top contenders either. Skolars have also signed many of their own players, just like Hemel.

You can't have it both ways.

Skolars have always had access to Broncos players. That is not the reason why they are underachieving this season. It is also not the reason why they were being touted as top contenders either. Skolars have also signed many of their own players, just like Hemel.

You can't have it both ways.

So, are you saying that the DR players at Skolars were not a factor in them being projected to be a top team, even though these players were SL quality ?

Are you also saying that the fact that the the Skolars not living up to their potential this season, like at Hunslet and Swinton, is not a detrimental  point regarding the supposed DR benefits that were being touted as pluses for the participation of Championship teams ?

Why can't i have it both ways.? Hemel would seem to be the exeception that proves the rule. That they have had a modicum of success with the DR players in their ranks is diminished by the numerous other DR failures as has been discussed.

So, are you saying that the DR players at Skolars were not a factor in them being projected to be a top team, even though these players were SL quality ?

Are you also saying that the fact that the the Skolars not living up to their potential this season, like at Hunslet and Swinton, is not a detrimental  point regarding the supposed DR benefits that were being touted as pluses for the participation of Championship teams ?

Why can't i have it both ways.? Hemel would seem to be the exeception that proves the rule. That they have had a modicum of success with the DR players in their ranks is diminished by the numerous other DR failures as has been discussed.

It is a factor, but not the only factor.

Skolars might have been bottom without those DR players, you never know.

There have been DR successes as well as failures.

I don't necessarily agree with how some clubs use DR, but you can't use a broad brush to say it has failed across the board, because it hasn't.

It is a factor, but not the only factor.

Skolars might have been bottom without those DR players, you never know.

There have been DR successes as well as failures.

I don't necessarily agree with how some clubs use DR, but you can't use a broad brush to say it has failed across the board, because it hasn't.

I think there are more failures than successes. I think it is what it always was, a cost cutting benefit to the SL clubs and minimal to no benefit to the Championship outfits.

When the loss of ambition and independence, coupled with the poor on field results that accompanies the Championship clubs acquiescence in these ventures are factored in, I think the schemes are mostly failures as far as advantages accruing to the lower tier teams.

Fair enough, but come the playoffs or later season games which might make or break Town,s season, it is to be hoped that Widnes still are making players available.

the way we are playing i hope workington make players available to us...........seriously, yes widnes will continue to honour the terms of the deal with town

I think there are more failures than successes. I think it is what it always was, a cost cutting benefit to the SL clubs and minimal to no benefit to the Championship outfits.

When the loss of ambition and independence, coupled with the poor on field results that accompanies the Championship clubs acquiescence in these ventures are factored in, I think the schemes are mostly failures as far as advantages accruing to the lower tier teams.

How do you define success. For Hunslet quality DR players enabled the club to have a good start, once Leeds hit injuries and we played our own players we bombed to joint bottom. Leeds are trying to shore us up again but if that doesn't work then as the Boss says it could be curtains.DR isn't failing us, it's keeping us alive.

How do you define success. For Hunslet quality DR players enabled the club to have a good start, once Leeds hit injuries and we played our own players we bombed to joint bottom. Leeds are trying to shore us up again but if that doesn't work then as the Boss says it could be curtains.DR isn't failing us, it's keeping us alive.

Are your gates up ? is your playing record better than last season.? If that's keeping you alive and a success, then I'm happy for you.

Interesting that the vast majority of critics of DR are those not involved. Seems to me that those informed, who actually understand what DR is all about, and how it actually works think it is a good idea.

The uninformed just make wild statements about how bad it is.

Not sure how many clubs are being forced to take part in DR against their will. What is it the SL clubs have? A few dodgy polaroids of some Championship Club Chairman at last year's end of season booze up?

Interesting that the vast majority of critics of DR are those not involved. Seems to me that those informed, who actually understand what DR is all about, and how it actually works think it is a good idea.

The uninformed just make wild statements about how bad it is.

Not sure how many clubs are being forced to take part in DR against their will. What is it the SL clubs have? A few dodgy polaroids of some Championship Club Chairman at last year's end of season booze up?

If the clubs using DR had more success on the field, I'd see it as a more credible option.

Sigh, how about we just stick to the facts and what we now HAS happened, rather than what MIGHT happen eh. You really are desperate to show everything DR in a bad light, know matter how pathetic you look.

the way we are playing i hope workington make players available to us...........seriously, yes widnes will continue to honour the terms of the deal with town

Ha ha, get your bloody grubby hands of the Phillips boys... :tongue:

Are your gates up ? is your playing record better than last season.? If that's keeping you alive and a success, then I'm happy for you.

No and No. Without these quality lads we may be have already been doomed now.

If the clubs using DR had more success on the field, I'd see it as a more credible option.

Is that your only measure of success? Someone's always got to finish towards the bottom of the table.

Maybe those clubs there this year feel they're in a better overall place than they would have been without DR.

Maybe they think that they will be more sustainable in the long term as a result of DR. They must have their reasons, as it is optional.

Is that your only measure of success? Someone's always got to finish towards the bottom of the table.

Maybe those clubs there this year feel they're in a better overall place than they would have been without DR.

Maybe they think that they will be more sustainable in the long term as a result of DR. They must have their reasons, as it is optional.

It's also new - so no doubt several clubs are still finding out how it works out.

Only measure of success ? Well, there are the financial implications too but, ultimately, yes - the game's about success on the field. And it seems to me that there's a good correlation between performance and the use of DR. The more you use it, the lower you tend to be in the table, the lower your attendances.

Sure - pick out a few exceptions but the facts are plain.

It's also new - so no doubt several clubs are still finding out how it works out.

Only measure of success ? Well, there are the financial implications too but, ultimately, yes - the game's about success on the field. And it seems to me that there's a good correlation between performance and the use of DR. The more you use it, the lower you tend to be in the table, the lower your attendances.

Sure - pick out a few exceptions but the facts are plain.

Looking at the league tables over recent years, neither Hunslet or Swinton appear to have finished any higher than the bottom 3 of the top semi-pro division in recent years, so it seems bottom two doesn't look unreasonable for them. To suggest that their lowly position is due to DR seems a touch harsh. They may feel they would have been even worse off without DR.

I don't think DR has turned Swinton & Hunslet from top notch semi-pro clubs into strugglers. I think there might be a few other factors in their current plight!

Saints were one of the few SL clubs who opposed DR (another one of Heatheringtons crackpot ideas) but when it came in they chose 2 clubs to partner with in Rochdale & Whitehaven.

Unfortunaely the injury situation this year has meant that all the youngsters who were supposed to be spending extended periods at both NL clubs have been drafted straight into the Saints 1st team.

I'm sure Haven & Hornets would have benefitted much more had they been able to play the likes of Percival, Thompson, Greenwood, Walker & Swift every week.

I don't think DR has turned Swinton & Hunslet from top notch semi-pro clubs into strugglers. I think there might be a few other factors in their current plight!

I didn't say it had. But it's not helped either, has it ?

I didn't say it had. But it's not helped either, has it ?

I don't know, but Swinton & Hunslet seem to think it has been beneficial to them. They are surely best placed to judge. If they think it has been beneficial to them, then I'd suggest they know more about what those benefits have been, than people outside the club, who I suspect have no idea what the detail of the DR has been.

If Hunslet & Leeds both say the DR has been of benefit, then I'd be more inclined to think that it has been of benefit to Leeds & Hunslet, than not.

I don't know, but Swinton & Hunslet seem to think it has been beneficial to them. They are surely best placed to judge. If they think it has been beneficial to them, then I'd suggest they know more about what those benefits have been, than people outside the club, who I suspect have no idea what the detail of the DR has been.

The players who came in were far better than those we could afford as an independant club. early doors they helped the club to put some wins on the board. After injuries have occured at Leeds and less players are available so our performances have slipped. I'd conclude that without DR we would be lower in the league points tally than we are now. i.e. adrift and rock bottom.

In simple terms DR has made us better off but if we do drop I hope it won't be argued that DR has failed and if only we had sought our own players (when no great quality is available)and signed them up (when there's no money to do so) we would have been OK.