Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keighley

The advantages of DR to Championship clubs in revue

82 posts in this topic

York finished 12th of 12 last season This year, they're 12th of 14. Some improvement thanks to DR.......

Also it's funny that arguably their best performance of the league season was with a team containing no DR players.

We've had good performances with DR players in the team, and we've had bad performances with DR players in the team.

We've had good performances with no DR players in the team, and we've had bad performances with no DR players in the team.

Other than Jamie Shaul and Danny Nicklas, every DR player has given 100% to York. Jack Briscoe, Liam Kent, Josh Bowden and Dean Hadley in particular, who have all effectively been on season-long loans whenever they aren't injured.

I've no problem with how York and Hull have used DR this year, but I am also happy to see the end of it, if it means everybody else stops ###### moaning about it all the time.

How well CC clubs do is dependent on how much money they have. All DR does is reduce the financial burden on the playing bill.

However you don't know how much a club had in their playing budget to start with. Sheffield and Crusaders have twice the crowds Hunslet and Swinton have for a start. How much their directors also put in and how much revenue they get from local sponsors is again something we do not know. At Hunslet we have no "directors", just fans running it.

For all I know (the likes of Griff and Derwent will know) Crusaders and Sheffield pay full salary cap, whilst Hunslet and Swinton may well not be able to do this and only pay half the money. Having access to DR players gives them some chance as we saw when we had the Keinhorsts and Singletons playing for us.

I do know that without these DR lads we may now have been on the bottom of CC with no points. We may finish the season outside the relegation zone (putting aside the proposed changes) and if we did I'd say that picking up those early wins could well have saved us. Your argument is flawed because you assume if we hadn't gone for DR we'd have done better because Crusaders and Sheffield don't do DR and have done well.

But you forget they probably have the money to pay the better players. Most of the Crusaders lads have come down from Lancashire. If Swinton could have offered them more they would be there wouldn't they?

What's your view DKW?

I don't think the hope and expectation at Hunslet when they entered this arrangement was that they might just possibly, maybe avoid relegation. I remember Barry Eaton waxing lyrical about making the playoffs with a far superior team. This system has clearly failed Hunslet and others.

I don't follow your point about Sheffield and crusaders having more money to pay players and so produce a better. This is undoubtedly true but this was supposed to be counteracted by Hunslet and the likes having far superior players for free from the DR loanees. This system has clearly failed on that front as well.

I think the independents also benefitted from having a stable team squad not one constantly changing and with a team spirit and ethos and will to win greater than was to be found in the cobbled together, frequently changing, squads with mixed loyalties found at DR clubs.

Joe public has not gone for it, none of the benefits for the championship clubs have arisen. It is a failure and, if it is to be scrapped, then good riddance.

I just hope the will to live and any flicker of independent action has not been eradicated in the DR clubs and that they can come back stronger.

York finished 12th of 12 last season This year, they're 12th of 14. Some improvement thanks to DR.......

Also it's funny that arguably their best performance of the league season was with a team containing no DR players.

There seems to be no improvement but a better league position because there are two more teams in the league. The fact that their best performance came with no DR players in the team just goes to show the failure of the system for the Championship clubs.

I don't think the hope and expectation at Hunslet when they entered this arrangement was that they might just possibly, maybe avoid relegation. I remember Barry Eaton waxing lyrical about making the playoffs.

I don't follow your point about Sheffield and crusaders having more money to pay players and so produce a better. This is undoubtedly true but this was supposed to be counteracted by Hunslet and the likes having far superior players for free from the DR loanees.

Last season we were second bottom winning only two games. The arrangement was definitely to save the club from relegation, that was the lengthy conversations with Blackpool Hawk the boss. Look them up on here. All coaches talk their sides up every year since I started watching in 1966.

Sheffield's playing budget like that of Fax and Fev is way way above Hunslets. Possibly three times as much. They have the best players outside SL. The DR players simply helped to narrow the gap somewhat. Last year Sheffield put 118 past us, Featherstone 126 and Halifax 96. We have reduced those deficits this year.

All we wanted was to stay off the relegation spots. BH had done the figures for operating in CC1 and he could not make them work. I've nothing more to say on this now.

All we wanted was to stay off the relegation spots. BH had done the figures for operating in CC1 and he could not make them work.

You know what ? Amidst all this DR and reorganization talk, I bet a lot of clubs are thinking that.

Still - there's promotion out of CC1 (or whatever it's going to be called) so the crowds will flock in.

You know what ? Amidst all this DR and reorganization talk, I bet a lot of clubs are thinking that.

Still - there's promotion out of CC1 (or whatever it's going to be called) so the crowds will flock in.

Well, A that's true and B The crowds could not be much lower than at present and C I hope Hunslet and all the other DR clubs recover from this disaster and prosper into the future.