Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

petero

time to close on the C/Cup?

115 posts in this topic

Around 2002/3/4 time

2005 moved to August if my memory is correct, hull fans will confirm :P

You're correct :) Our victory over Wigan in 2004 was the last time it was played in May, it was moved to August the following year.

I personally preferred it in May because I think it's just too close to the start of the playoffs now which (in my opinion) means it can take the backseat a bit too quickly. I can see why August appeals to people though. 

well despite my team not being involved , i enjoyed the games 

maybe not classics but you dont get them every week anyway , the cats V hull game was error strewn but surely you had to put a lot of that down to the conditions and i thought all the players gave their all

huddersfield froze against warrington but wire played some good stuff 

even wigan game last night was enjoyable despite it being one sided - thats the nature of a knock out comp

well despite my team not being involved , i enjoyed the games 

maybe not classics but you dont get them every week anyway , the cats V hull game was error strewn but surely you had to put a lot of that down to the conditions and i thought all the players gave their all

huddersfield froze against warrington but wire played some good stuff 

even wigan game last night was enjoyable despite it being one sided - thats the nature of a knock out comp

Good post.

End of April and early may to answer above poster.

August for me is a perfect fit now the season starts in February

for me and the crowd that normally goes too

I don't think the final being at the end of August is any problem, it's just that the preceding rounds can by anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months apart. It's no way to build momentum in the competition. Initially this was because the BBC only wanted it on weekends where they had no other major live sport clashing - nowadays that is practically every weekend so I think the early rounds should be a bit closer together. This year nearly had it right apart from the gap between the last round and the quarters.

you could always put the games up to the SF within a short space of time at the start of the season and have the final at the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. If that's a no no because of the play off finals at Wembley then have it the weekend before. Move the Magic Weekend to August Bank Holiday weekend.

Having the CC games one after another would build a sense of momentum and excitement to a club's cup run. It'd also possibly lead to higher tv ratings - if you've got games on 4 consecutive weekends on BBC you attract and possibly keep viewers.

I'd also like to persuade clubs of the benefits of letting in ST holders as part of their deal - obviously this would need majority support as it would cut out little paydays for smaller away teams. But the crowds would be back, there'd be more of a buzz which would obviously attract more non ST holders to go along etc etc

i've been championing this for a long time, get rid of the Challenge Cup and play the grand final at Wembley. 

In a sport that is as strapped for cash as ours, how could it ever make sense to do that? It would lose Rugby League a small fortune in revenue, not just in the lost TV deal (and free to air terrestrial exposure) and sponsorship associated with the Challenge Cup, but in basic bread and butter ticket sales alone.

Last year the Challenge Cup final pulled in a crowd of 79,180. The SL Grand Final pulled in 70,676. That's almost 150,000 tickets sold between them. If you got rid of one and moved the other, you'd end up with one hopefully (but not guaranteed) 70,000 plus crowd per season instead of the current two that we get.

I sit here shaking my head at times.

In a sport that is as strapped for cash as ours, how could it ever make sense to do that? It would lose Rugby League a small fortune in revenue, not just in the lost TV deal (and free to air terrestrial exposure) and sponsorship associated with the Challenge Cup, but in basic bread and butter ticket sales alone.

Last year the Challenge Cup final pulled in a crowd of 79,180. The SL Grand Final pulled in 70,676. That's almost 150,000 tickets sold between them. If you got rid of one and moved the other, you'd end up with one hopefully (but not guaranteed) 70,000 plus crowd per season instead of the current two that we get.

Great post and I hope people take note.

With Super League and The World Cup having no sponsors I do wonder if marketing / research companies look at forums for inspiration!!!

Great post and I hope people take note.

With Super League and The World Cup having no sponsors I do wonder if marketing / research companies look at forums for inspiration!!!

That's probably why they have no title sponsors,the amount of doom-mongering on here is staggering,if the people who "allegedly" love the game can't portray it in a positive light,what chance do they have.

That's probably why they have no title sponsors,the amount of doom-mongering on here is staggering,if the people who "allegedly" love the game can't portray it in a positive light,what chance do they have.

10000000000000000% agree.

I honestly don't think that the world cup should have a title sponsor. Would that not just make it sound naff? The John Smiths World cup...

I honestly don't think that the world cup should have a title sponsor. Would that not just make it sound naff? The John Smiths World cup...

True but RL needs all the coverage it can get vs the likes of soccer and ru,maybe having a title sponsor would increase that coverage.

Can you imagine the field day that the unionites would have with that? It's a fine line. I suppose getting some sponsors that could use the fact that they are sponsoring the WC (and so essential advertise the WC by putting it in their adverts) might help. Red bull? Maximuscle (ok, limited crowd)? Adidas (dreaming a bit now...)

Can you imagine the field day that the unionites would have with that? It's a fine line. I suppose getting some sponsors that could use the fact that they are sponsoring the WC (and so essential advertise the WC by putting it in their adverts) might help. Red bull? Maximuscle (ok, limited crowd)? Adidas (dreaming a bit now...)

Agree,it is a fine line and I know SL has "associate" (for want of a better word) sponsors and the WC does but they don't really seem to be using RL as part of their advertising.

I'd expect the average ticket price to be around £35-40 per person for Wembley, meaning that people want to turn away £3m in ticket income in one feel swoop.

Add in earlier rounds, TV rights, sponsorship and just out and out publicity on the BBC and surely anybody can see that the Challenge Cup is extremely valuable to the game.

Agree,it is a fine line and I know SL has "associate" (for want of a better word) sponsors and the WC does but they don't really seem to be using RL as part of their advertising.

I'd go with the partner approach tbh.

Irn Bru, Heinz, Gillette, Foxybingo etc do carry out promotions, but unfotunately they seem to be around the current RL areas and markets rather than enabling us to target their markets.

One thing that is extremely frustrating about the WC is the lack of partners - ideally we would have all sorts of partners involved in helping us flog tickets - as it is the RFL are having to do all the work.

i've been championing this for a long time, get rid of the Challenge Cup and play the grand final at Wembley.

This is quite the most ridiculous remark I have read on this forum.

Or am I missing something? Is it a post modern joke?

I fear not. Please Mr. Merged, go away.

I think we should go straight to semi finals, consisting of two teams from Yorkshire and two from what was historically Lancashire. It's what the RFL (and some fans on here) would want.

Just to be clear, not even the Halifax Centenary World Cup (the bank not the blue sox) or the Lincoln World Cup (the financial group not the yella bellies)?

Especially that. Surely at the very least it'd have to be a large multinational. But even then I think it's a total no no

Sorry but I just can't get my head round the idea that because a few of the games in the qualifying rounds have been a bit average, the entire Challenge Cup tournament should be consigned to the scrapheap, when the final provides the sport with its biggest attendance and TV audience of the year. And it's one of the few tournaments we have with a title sponsor!

I shake my head at the capacity for some in Rugby League to hunt for negatives in absolutely everything.

Why not start to appreciate what we have and show a bit of faith in the sport for a change? We might start to make a bit of progress then.

I'm in complete agreement. I love the cup, and I've seen my side in one semi final in the last thirty odd years.

It's rather like arguing that we should shut the forum down because of a few idiotic threads.... Like this one.

It was hardly a classic cup draw - quarter finals of the cup are no guarantees for good ties. In the 8 we had two of the worst teams in SL and a team from the 2nd tier.

As for the games:

Sheffield v London - quite good, interesting game.

Catalan v Hull - lot of mistakes, but very tense, very tight and exciting.

Wire v Hudds - sure, Hudds were disappointing, and I assume I'm just biased but I thought there was some genuine class play from Wire.

Wigan v Widnes - same as above really - Wigan did a lot of good stuff.

The Quarter Finals were fine.

You surprise me Dave.

I credited you with a little bit more honesty than that. Sorry for this criticism as I more often than not find your comments logical and plausable but if as you are willing to, as it seems, accept, what was in almost each of those three matches that I indulged in to some degree a measure of the game of R/L at possibly it's most mediocre then I find that difficult to swallow.

As you are a Warrington fan I can see that you would overlook the negatives in the game in order to praise your own favourites, but the ineffectualness of the Huddersfield defence negated any class play that was produced from Warrington, it was just too easy and that I find hard to accept in the essence of watching a decent, let alone good match.

You surprise me Dave.

I credited you with a little bit more honesty than that. Sorry for this criticism as I more often than not find your comments logical and plausable but if as you are willing to, as it seems, accept, what was in almost each of those three matches that I indulged in to some degree a measure of the game of R/L at possibly it's most mediocre then I find that difficult to swallow.

As you are a Warrington fan I can see that you would overlook the negatives in the game in order to praise your own favourites, but the ineffectualness of the Huddersfield defence negated any class play that was produced from Warrington, it was just too easy and that I find hard to accept in the essence of watching a decent, let alone good match.

just because I dont share your view doesnt mean I am being dishonest.

I am of the opinion that even a poor rl game is better than most sports. Maybe I have low standards but three of the games kept me interested, I lost interest in Wigan's game.

I'm not overly interested in comparisons with the NRL. I can enjoy pretty much every game for different reasons.

It's a bit like refusing to enjoy beans on toast because it's not fillet steak.