Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregory

Broncos

With the London Broncos leaving their Stoop ground at the end of this season, it would be great if they could return to their spiritual home, Craven Cottage. Perhaps such a move would revitalise the club?

That would be wonderful, but may be impossible for a number of reasons. Not sure how much of a leaguie Al Fayed is...

Big Al has sold Fulham.

Not sure how much of a leaguie Al Fayed is...

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

hope this is true

hope this is true

It is already on wikipedia but I have heard it in person from someone relatively close to the Broncos hierarchy.

It is already on wikipedia but I have heard it in person from someone relatively close to the Broncos hierarchy.

Was it Buck or Dusty? ;)

The Bronco's Chief Exec is on BBC text saying the RFL, need to be very careful who they drop down to the lower league.

Presumably "careful" for him means not the Broncos. 

Should be fun once the format for 2015 is set, having yet another set of debates about how the teams are dropped out of the top league.

Of course there's nothing to say they couldn't drop 3 clubs from the existing 14 and bring a side in from the Championship.

Was it Buck or Dusty? ;)

No, it'll be Stevo. :tongue:

Barnet would be a disaster, especially competing with Saracens in the same area.

My thoughts too.

It's not Barnet. Stanmore is in Harrow. If it also allows the Broncos to have their own ground in the future, is that not a good thing?

No, it'll be Stevo. :tongue:

How dare you! ;)

It's not Barnet. Stanmore is in Harrow. If it also allows the Broncos to have their own ground in the future, is that not a good thing?

How dare you! ;)

Barnet / Stanmore no difference. The problem I have with it is that it's stuck out of the way, nowhere near any other RL clubs (except for Hemel and they're much better off doing their own thing), and has huge competition from other sports. Saracens, in particular, would prove to be a massive obstacle to the Broncos in terms of two codes of rugby moving to a new area and looking for fans, corporates, sponsors, etc. Only, one of them would have millions to spend and the other tuppence ha'penny.

I just don't see it working.

The presence or otherwise of Saracens really shouldn't make any difference to London, the fact that there's soccer would probably be more damaging - but at least it provides a handy excuse for failing to engage either sponsors or the community.

I remain to be convinced that even with a move to The Hive that there's enough nous, finance and will at London to make it work.

The presence or otherwise of Saracens really shouldn't make any difference to London, the fact that there's soccer would probably be more damaging - but at least it provides a handy excuse for failing to engage either sponsors or the community.

I remain to be convinced that even with a move to The Hive that there's enough nous, finance and will at London to make it work.

Moving to the Hive could be a great move for the Broncos, but it's difficult to see the current lot at London making anything a success. If you gave them £20m, their own ground, a huge catchment area and no competition from other attractions, they'd still cock it up.

Barnet / Stanmore no difference. The problem I have with it is that it's stuck out of the way, nowhere near any other RL clubs (except for Hemel and they're much better off doing their own thing), and has huge competition from other sports. Saracens, in particular, would prove to be a massive obstacle to the Broncos in terms of two codes of rugby moving to a new area and looking for fans, corporates, sponsors, etc. Only, one of them would have millions to spend and the other tuppence ha'penny.

I just don't see it working.

No matter where they go, they will be competing against other sports. As the crow flies, the distance fromm Stanmore to Sacracens ground is anything from 6-7 miles away, which 6-7 miles further away from a RU club than currently. It's not perfect but nowhere ever will be for the Broncos. Two positives from this in my opinion could be:

1. Access to being sole owners of their own ground in the future.

2. A real schools development policy linking in the Broncos to the Hemel and St Albans areas rather than just appearing in random places on the Greater London map. There is an argument that the development policy is too disperate and this could help alleviate those issues. Considering London Skolars are 12 miles away, you could develop a chain running from there all the way up to Hemel.

Only ideas of course and as GJ notes, they'll no doubt balls it up and make excuses anyway!

I've heard Barnet is currently a no go.. for the most ridiculous of reasons.. have heard an offer was on the table but the Broncos have said no. 

You can't leave us hanging like that dude!

I think if you have two 'rugby' clubs - one with huge resources and the other less than nothing, one with huge ambition the other less than nothing, one with a huge media profile the other less than nothing, one with an established schools and community presence the other less than nothing, one with a pre-existing support base to call upon the other haemorrhaging fans at a suicidal rate, one with a reasonably predictable future the other not a clue beyond the end of the week - and you move them both to a new area then there's only going to be one winner.

Also, the idea that the club will take ownership of this stadium in ten years time is an interesting one. AFAIK Harrow Council have only given permission for the stadium for ten years, nothing beyond that. So there might not even be anything to take possession of at that point.

if they can't make it work where they are, what leads them to think they can make it work elsewhere? I respectfully submit that the stadium is not the issue.

if they can't make it work where they are, what leads them to think they can make it work elsewhere? I respectfully submit that the stadium is not the issue.

Tru dat!