Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregory

Broncos

140 posts in this topic

Don't really wanna say to much. Its probably just another rumour.. have heard quite a few, so who knows.

A move back to West London and Craven Cottage would be perfect for the club, I feel. in the early 80s, Fulham RFL were able to attract crowds of over 10,000 to this venue! If the Broncos could attract anywhere near that now then the future of Super League in London would be assured. 25,000 sports lovers regularly attend the stadium to watch Premiership football, an audience who would immdediately become aware of the Broncos' presence should such a move take place and would hopefully take an interest in the club.

I don't know London very well at all but isn't there a particular part of it where rugby league is even slightly more popular (not saying much I know)?

The problem with London is that all the green spaces within the M25 are already claimed and have 7 figure asking prices for bits of it that can host a rugby game, never mind already having a stadium and infrastructure in place.  There also aren't that many existing grounds that have capacity to take a semi-pro club with aspirations for SL and actually would tolerate having a tenant.  It's not that great for the Broncos but then it hasn't been for a long time.

I don't know London very well at all but isn't there a particular part of it where rugby league is even slightly more popular (not saying much I know)?

I don't believe so. If there is, I've never been there.

With the London Broncos leaving their Stoop ground at the end of this season, it would be great if they could return to their spiritual home, Craven Cottage. Perhaps such a move would revitalise the club?

32 years has shown a core of 700 fans for the London club, rising to a couple of thousand for an SL club rising to up to 5,000 for a competitive SL club. Not bad for a club in an area with minimal RL roots. Where they play (and they have played all over) doesn't seem to really matter as John M says. Only money, whether from private or central funding will give the club any "vitality".

A move back to West London and Craven Cottage would be perfect for the club, I feel. in the early 80s, Fulham RFL were able to attract crowds of over 10,000 to this venue! If the Broncos could attract anywhere near that now then the future of Super League in London would be assured. 25,000 sports lovers regularly attend the stadium to watch Premiership football, an audience who would immdediately become aware of the Broncos' presence should such a move take place and would hopefully take an interest in the club.

But they've attracted a crowd of over 10,000 in East London at Charlton's ground. And they've had big crowds at The Stoop as well. The specific location doesn't appear to be important (although staying in one location would help!). What really matters is having a competitive team on the field, something the Broncos haven't had for a very long time.

A competitive team on the field and competent management ( I don't even ask for brilliant, just competent) off it.

And a bit of support from the RFL might help too. Nothing major here, but not switching our home game with Leeds to a Thursday night during term-time might be a start.

And a bit of support from the RFL might help too. Nothing major here, but not switching our home game with Leeds to a Thursday night during term-time might be a start.

Isn't that due to Sky rather than the RFL?

barnet would be a disaster for the broncos, what is wrong with staying at the stoop??

barnet would be a disaster for the broncos, what is wrong with staying at the stoop??

Well The Stoop hasn't exactly proven to be a roaring success.

Incidentally, Barnet (well, Stanmore/Harrow) would work slightly better for fans coming down the M1. I reckon it'd cut about 30 minutes off the journey compared to The Stoop.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter where you put them if they continue to only win a handful of games a season..

as a visiting supporter the stoop is in my top 3 away grounds in the country, brilliant facilities and relatively easy to get to by road. plus they sell a great pint of greene king ipa

as a visiting supporter the stoop is in my top 3 away grounds in the country, brilliant facilities and relatively easy to get to by road. plus they sell a great pint of greene king ipa

It's a good facility. But as a home fan, you tend to feel like an away fan - you just can't escape the feeling of being on RU/enemy territory, be it in the ground itself or the surrounding area.

Isn't that due to Sky rather than the RFL?

I'm sure the RFL could intervene if they wanted to.

He's sold the club.

The Broncos will be ore than likely moving to The Hive with Barnet at Stanmore; much talk of the club getting sole ownership within 10yrs when Barnet move back to the Barnet area.

Assuming Broncos are still around by then?

It's a good facility. But as a home fan, you tend to feel like an away fan - you just can't escape the feeling of being on RU/enemy territory, be it in the ground itself or the surrounding area.

That's the thing that saddens me.  The Harlequins hook-up was one of the more inspired things to come out of professional RL in London, hooking onto a massive London brand in a good stadium and giving RL a proper, long-term home they could plan against.  What killed it at birth though was the rugby league people treating the deal as if it were treachery of unimaginable depths.  I heard far too many people say they weren't going to a game there because of "I'm not giving my money to that union filth" or similar, usually with harsher language.

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go.  They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....

That's the thing that saddens me.  The Harlequins hook-up was one of the more inspired things to come out of professional RL in London, hooking onto a massive London brand in a good stadium and giving RL a proper, long-term home they could plan against.  What killed it at birth though was the rugby league people treating the deal as if it were treachery of unimaginable depths.  I heard far too many people say they weren't going to a game there because of "I'm not giving my money to that union filth" or similar, usually with harsher language.

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go.  They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

I think it cuts both ways though. I'm not particularly in the 'hate RU' camp (I'm broadly indifferent towards the code) but there were few moves within the club or locally to make RL feel like an equal partner.

However, you could see when they had a double header at The Stoop, that the two codes just couldn't get on. Most union fans flooded out as soon as their game finished and many league fans passed them on the way in.

Personally speaking, I've stopped going to games as (i) the team have barely won a game since the old king was on the throne and (ii) I've moved home, making the trip to The Stoop a pain in the backside. The RU-related discomfort was a pain, but not a significant factor.

if broncos go it will be a black day for the game in general, the strides made by rl in london over the past 30 years have been phenomenal, we need a capitol presence in super league and broncos should be given every bit of support to maintain their presence.....[/quote

I need to lie down.

Now, the Broncos are going to be homeless unless they can find somewhere to go. They're treated as a blocker club by the ambitious Championship clubs and as a guaranteed one for the 2015 drop by almost everyone else.

I think Mark Evans the Chief Executive of Harlequins Rugby Union said that if Rugby League couldn't work at the Stoop with the Harlequins brand then it wasn't going to be able to work in London at all.

I would have to agree that the Harlequins association was a massive opportunity missed. The Quins brand is very strong and has immediate recognition from the wider sporting public in London and the South.

The RFL and Super League should have shown some vision and ensured that Harlequins were given financial advantages so they could compete at the top of the game. A club called Harlequins with a team full of internationals and getting to the later stages of the Challenge Cup and Super League play offs would have been big news and attracted lots of media attention. Like the Melbourne Storm are in Australia.

The lack of vision shown by the Super League clubs and the RFL with London has been desperately sad.

I think it cuts both ways though. I'm not particularly in the 'hate RU' camp (I'm broadly indifferent towards the code) but there were few moves within the club or locally to make RL feel like an equal partner.However, you could see when they had a double header at The Stoop, that the two codes just couldn't get on. Most union fans flooded out as soon as their game finished and many league fans passed them on the way in.Personally speaking, I've stopped going to games as (a) the team have barely won a game since the old king was on the throne and ( B) I've moved home, making the trip to The Stoop a pain in the backside. The RU-related discomfort was a pain, but not a significant factor.

I would have to agree. When they first became Quins I went to watch them at The Stoop when they were playing the big boys and I think there was quite good vibe about the place and a lot of optimism. I don't think the Quins branding put people off as it is not really feasible being an anti-Union bigot in the South as it just doesn't get you anywhere. But as the team declined on the pitch things really started to slide.

I think Mark Evans was probably right. If rugby league isn't going to work as Quins at The Stoop is it going to work anywhere in London?

As Quins, the upside should have been bigger than the downside..they should have attracted more new supporters than lost old ones, in my view.

I still have by London replica shirt from the Virgin days..days which seem in retrospect to be some of the best days for the club.

maybe a bit harsh and polarised here, but  if the club could not capitalise on the Harlequins brand , and could not capitalise on the Virgin brand, what hope is there for the current club. Maybe only a complete change of owners, staff, culture,  etc is the answer.

The Harelquins thing was never going to work. Too many obstacles and not helped by the fact that the man behind it all, Ian Lenegan, left soon after to buy Wigan. Besides, I'm certain that if Quins RL had won SL or the Challenge Cup then people reading the headlines in the paper or watching the news reports would have seen the name 'Harlequins' and assumed it was rugby union. I'm convinced of it.

All that said, none of that would have mattered if we'd had decent management in place. The club has been diabolically run for 5 or 6 years now. To the point that even diehards have stopped going.

This will probably be the 20th time ive posted this.. RL has at no point been given a proper go in London. You cannot say Londoners don't want RL (one of Stevo's favourites), or that RL in London wont work, until theres been a proper attempt at selling the game to the public.

The majority of people in London know nothing about the Broncos. For them to succeed that has to change.

The majority of people in London know nothing about the Broncos. For them to succeed that has to change.

Where I work, there are only a few people who know there are two codes of rugby, let alone that there's a club called London Broncos.