Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

Serious Farce Office

14 posts in this topic

see report

Phillippa Williamson, the now-former chief executive officer of the Serious Fraud Office, was also given an ‘irregular’ £407,000 pension top-up that did not go through the proper approval process.

It's amazing how generous officials can be when they're spending other people's money.

Who investigates financial mismanagement at the Serious Fraud Office?

So about 24k a year in travel and accommodation expenses?

Remind me what the MPs who are whinging about this get.  And the state of their pensions?

So about 24k a year in travel and accommodation expenses?

Remind me what the MPs who are whinging about this get.  And the state of their pensions?

Taxation law is that if you're getting travelling expenses for commuting to your permanent place of work then it's a taxable benefit.  I wonder if that was on her P60 and tax return.

Taxation law is that if you're getting travelling expenses for commuting to your permanent place of work then it's a taxable benefit.  I wonder if that was on her P60 and tax return.

If your permanent place of work is 'home' though?

I thought 'The Men From The Ministry' was a parody, not a documentary.

If your permanent place of work is 'home' though?

That only works for two years if you're travelling to a "temporary" workplace such as the SFO HQ more than 2 days out of 5, then it becomes a taxable benefit.  This is a common gotcha that HMRC spring on contractors during audits.  The established case law in this is that after two years it's not really "temporary" any longer.  Even then, if this were anyone else then HMRC would probably challenge that "home" wasn't the permanent place of work and that BIK laws should apply from day one.

Edit:  And here's the bit of the HMRC tax manual that covers it.

Three senior staff taking voluntary redundancy were offered severance packages worth £1million without the required approval being sought from the Cabinet Office or the Treasury. Miss Williamson received a total of £464,905, the chief capability officer Christian Bailes was handed £437,167 .... all in the official report.

Labour have asked the police to look into it, it seems.

That only works for two years if you're travelling to a "temporary" workplace such as the SFO HQ more than 2 days out of 5, then it becomes a taxable benefit.  This is a common gotcha that HMRC spring on contractors during audits.  The established case law in this is that after two years it's not really "temporary" any longer.  Even then, if this were anyone else then HMRC would probably challenge that "home" wasn't the permanent place of work and that BIK laws should apply from day one.

Edit:  And here's the bit of the HMRC tax manual that covers it.

Ah, okay.

*makes note for future embezzling plans*

see report

Phillippa Williamson, the now-former chief executive officer of the Serious Fraud Office, was also given an ‘irregular’ £407,000 pension top-up that did not go through the proper approval process.

Shameful and greedy, yet no one seems to be taken to task!