Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

22/07/13 - St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

92 posts in this topic

That was easily the best night of the season so far for us. I'm extremely proud that we toughed it out despite going into it without Roby and Soliola and then losing Lomax, Walsmley and O'Brien along the way. Hopefully the losses won't be long term or else we're stuffed, but right now it feels better to celebrate than to worry as that may well be the highest point of our year and as such should be savoured.

A few thoughts...

The officiating didn't seem great, but I did feel that Wigan's discipline was very poor throughout the second half.  In recent meetings their pack has successfully intimidated and bullied ours, but last night they were unable to do so and the frustration of that took its toll, with Dudson looking particularly rattled. LMS was absolutely brilliant, possibly his best game for us to date.

Richards' drop goal was tremendous, as good as I can ever recall seeing. That was certainly a moment of magic.

Taylor's hit on O'Brien was something which I still can't decide on. I've seen players sent off for what I would consider to be less, but then I wonder if it was clean cut enough to receive the red. A difficult one, and given the doubt involved I find it hard to be too critical of the ref there.

Makinson stepped up again and is growing in importance to us, and Swift looks like he'll be a great replacement for Meli on the wing next year.

Joe Greenwood showed a huge amount of character to bounce back and score the winning try! It would have been easy for him to go into his shell after the start he had to the second half, but to pick himself up must have taken some doing. I was furious with Matty Smith patronising him like that, there was absolutely no call for it, and after how long he took to crack the top level you'd think that he would know better. I suppose these things happen in the heat of the moment, but he didn't half look stupid after Greenwood scored the winning try and then he went and put the ball out on the full. Perhaps he'll think twice before behaving in such a manner again.

Overall very, very happy :) 

Saints have probably been the worst team for shoulder charges this year, how many have they had sent off?

Not relevant

What happened to a player being given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away? That aside, edge of the seat stuff and what a superb drop-goal. 

Rightly so concerning the Saints players, but two wrongs don't make it right. Likewise, a Wigan player should have been given 10 minutes in the bin for throwing the ball away. I have seen three Saints players binned for this offence. As for the match, it was edge of the seat stuff even thought there were many errors.... and what about that superb drop-goal? 

It all makes for an exciting finish. 

I agree but my challenge was more around St Toppy stating that players have been sent off for late shoulder charges, when this isn't strictly true. What we have seen is people sent off for late high shoulder charges which is a very important difference.

My point about bringing the Saints examples into it (I'm thinking of the Hull KR cup game in particular) was to highlight Toppy's cloudy memory.

Because Wigan didn't have anyone sent off for a shoulder charge?

I thought the ref was not good, but equally so - pulling back saints for a forward pass that would put them 18-0 up was especially harsh as its one that almost literally couldn't have been passed forward

Both sides had hands in and loitered off side, as well as holding down or carrying on the tackle too long

I think in reflection Wigan were guilty of thinking all they had to do was turn up

Great game to watch, brilliant result as a giants fan

Game decided by goal kicking more than anything else

Brilliant game, enjoyed every minute. Also Wigan looked like they might have some walking wounded, so we might just manage to keep the b*gg*rs down to double figures on Saturday :biggrin:

Watched it at a holiday park in Devon. I think all of the people watching weren't RL fans (apart from me) so didn't really mind the referee's decisions or Eddie & Stevo (no sound) and just enjoyed the game for was it was, an exciting battle between two committed teams.

Sometimes we (RL fans) spend too much time complaining about the little problems in our game that we miss what a great game it actually is.

Best comment overheard - "I do prefer this type of rugby to that other one!"

Brilliant game and absolutely chuffed to bits with the result. To lose Lomax, Walmsley and O'Brien and still win is a great effort from the team. Big wraps to Makinson, Swift, Laffranchi and Howarth but I thought LMS was excellent last night; first time in a long time he has stood up and led from the front.

I was disappointed with the referring last night and thought we did have a raw deal. However, we stuck with it and beat the old enemy, who are not the same team without Tomkins.

Happy days! :D

Really well done to Saints. They were much better. Given that on another night they'd have been 18 points up, and that we were really lucky with both Taylor and throwing the ball away, the gap between the 2 sides was substantial. JB had it nailed on, but for the ref we'd have been buried. We appear to be the new Huddersfield. I hope we'll have enough on Saturday, as a day out at Wembley will be a treat to be savoured.

Incidentally, I hugely dislike losing matches just before 10 on a Monday night, as it is pretty much always after a dire day at work, and with an early start the next day. Give me a Friday night or mid afternoon Sunday (or, indeed, Saturday this week) any day.

Why????????

Because we're talking about this game not whether in other matches the rules have been similarly poorly enforced.

A Saints v Wigan game on a Monday night infront of nearly 15,000 people, a superb intense game which was decided with a try in the last 3 minutes.

In the game there was: Possibly the best drop goal ever kicked on a rugby field, sublime skill from Hampshire for Charnleys try not to mention his last ditch tackle on Greenwood. Great play from Meli for Swifts try and great finishing from Swift. Very few errors in the game considering how humid it was. An amazing run from Makinson which essentially set up the match winning try.

Not to mention the amount of British talent we had on show who are under 23. Josh Charnley, Ryan Hampshire, Gil Dudson, Adam Swift, Tommy Makinson, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, Joe Greenwood, Chris Tuson, Gareth Obrien ect.

Yet most of the posts are about James Child, I didn't notice him apart the messing about at scrums.

Because we're talking about this game not whether in other matches the rules have been similarly poorly enforced.

Not really - St Toppy brought other incidents into it. It was directly related to this match as I was making the point that players don;t get sent off for this kind of offence, and providing evidence (or asking the poster to think back to try and highlight selective memory).

Fox Sports are reporting that Richards' drop goal has to be the best ever seen in League.

It's certainly the best one I've ever seen, anybody ever seen one that they consider to be better?

Another great game and a result that certainly has put the cat amongst the Pigeons.

Fox Sports are reporting that Richards' drop goal has to be the best ever seen in League.

It's certainly the best one I've ever seen, anybody ever seen one that they consider to be better?

possibly this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRy1S42nFQ

Wigan again, huh? 

This is a bold statement but this fixture is the closest thing we have to the state of origin. I look back over the years and there's been some classic encounters that rarely disappoint and yesterday's game was no exception.

This is a bold statement but this fixture is the closest thing we have to the state of origin. I look back over the years and there's been some classic encounters that rarely disappoint and yesterday's game was no exception.

I've seen a fair few poor Saints v Wigan games including at Magic Weekend.

They always get the passion, the crowds, the colour etc, but they do often disappoint if I'm honest as a neutral.

I always find the Leeds v Wigan clashes far better for example.

The result means there are still three teams all with a genuine shout of the League Leader's Shield. It should make for a thrilling finish to the regular season.

The result means there are still three teams all with a genuine shout of the League Leader's Shield. It should make for a thrilling finish to the regular season.

The reality is that it is Huddersfield's to lose. If they go to Wigan in August and win, they should be confident of taking the shield.

A pretty exciting finish is on the cards!

I think the Giants will win regardless of how they do at the DW, given likely Wembley distractions. I hope they make a big thing of it if they do - they have barely skipped a beat since February.

possibly this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRy1S42nFQ

Wigan again, huh? 

Credit where it's due that was a pretty amazing shot too :) I don't think I've ever seen another one scored from that distance. I think I preferred Richard's effort though because of the awkward angle and the lack of time and planning involved, although his shot obviously had a far greater element of hope in it than Lydon's did.

The kits in that video are great, I wouldn't mind them looking more like that today.

Credit where it's due that was a pretty amazing shot too :) I don't think I've ever seen another one scored from that distance. I think I preferred Richard's effort though because of the awkward angle and the lack of time and planning involved, although his shot obviously had a far greater element of hope in it than Lydon's did.

The kits in that video are great, I wouldn't mind them looking more like that today.

Someone will eventually get the tape measure out and find out whose was actually longer. Both were outstanding efforts!

Gone for Wigan, but derby matches can wreck the form book, so we'll see. Regardless of the result, could Saints please give Wigan a really good battering so they're badly banged up for next week? Pretty please.

The disciplinary should have give them a "really good battering" today, but failed to do so.

Did I see that bloke from Gerry and the pacemakers at the end of the game?

The Bloke in the striped shirt, does remind you of Gerry, think it was Mike Coleman, the clubs Major shareholder.