Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonnyg28

West Bank

60 posts in this topic

With struggling for player numbers aswel if they cudnt get a team they wud of gt £1000 fine and been relegated aswel so was prob only option they had. Shame tht this has had to happen again. In such hard economic times ud think the ncl wud try and help teams out not tighten the noose wen they on the brink.

Lot of sympathy for West Bank, it looks like they have been a victim of the fixture list,

West Bank have played more home games (7) this year than they have away (6).

With struggling for player numbers aswel if they cudnt get a team they wud of gt £1000 fine and been relegated aswel so was prob only option they had. Shame tht this has had to happen again. In such hard economic times ud think the ncl wud try and help teams out not tighten the noose wen they on the brink.

I think the only help West Bank would have needed is a more balanced fixture list, playing so many away games clearly has an affect on player availability before we even discuss finances.

Clubs where given the the chance to re arrange fixtures when the fixture list come out, so this would obviously have an affect on the imbalance of home and away games, and although I'm criticising the people responsible I do under stand it was a difficult job.

My point being, it would be verry difficult to forgive them again if they didn't learn from the mistakes made this season.

To protect against this is very simple, no team should be forced to play more than two games away without an home game being played, how ever difficult it may be we can put men on the moon so I'm sure this can be resolved.

Think I'm doing well here, three post and not mentioned the switch yet lol, seriously though I hope lessons can be learned, we all make mistakes the hard part is admitting it, does anybody on the NCL committee agree?

As someone who compiles fixtures for six age groups over a full season using several different fixture formats and no format throws more than two home/ away fixtures together . So how a team ends up with several consecutive away fixtures baffles me .

As someone who compiles fixtures for six age groups over a full season using several different fixture formats and no format throws more than two home/ away fixtures together . So how a team ends up with several consecutive away fixtures baffles me .

With that record if I was I charge of the NCL fixtures list , I would ask for your assistance, I hope they think the same way and not to proud to ask for help,

The fixture format was raised at the last NCL clubs meeting and discussed at length. It will be number 1 priority going forward . The NCL  relied upon RFL software  this year and we may have to go back to more trusted methods. Alan P over in Hull please  take note.  That said all clubs had their full lists prior to kick off......and I do not think that any club asking for reasoned alterations were knocked back.......

West Bank 's issues are complex. I'm not sure they have bar taking facilities so the fixture formula alone is not to blame. They will be making their case to Management before any decisions are made.Some of their problems will no doubt be shared by others. They will get a sympathetic hearing but the NCL has to be consistent to be fair to all...

No doubt lessons will be learned........

The fixture format was raised at the last NCL clubs meeting and discussed at length. It will be number 1 priority going forward . The NCL  relied upon RFL software  this year and we may have to go back to more trusted methods. Alan P over in Hull please  take note.  That said all clubs had their full lists prior to kick off......and I do not think that any club asking for reasoned alterations were knocked back.......

West Bank 's issues are complex. I'm not sure they have bar taking facilities so the fixture formula alone is not to blame. They will be making their case to Management before any decisions are made.Some of their problems will no doubt be shared by others. They will get a sympathetic hearing but the NCL has to be consistent to be fair to all...

No doubt lessons will be learned........

Well it's a good start that you admit lessons will be learnt, but if you used the RFL software I didn't notice any pro teams playing 9 away games!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong del capo and I would really appreciate an answer on this one,

When the fixtures come out, does it really take a piece of software to tel you that it doesn't make sense for Wath Brow to travel to St pats and IRB to travel to Egremont on a Wednesday night, when IRB walk to St pats and the other two teams are only a stones throw away,

Reference West Bank, it isn't just bar taking, it's gate receipt, raffles ect, you miss out on, I would still think that the fixtures played a big part in it.

Don't blame RFL software, garbage in garbage out.  The idiot that published the fixtures produced by this method should be put out to pasture.  It is relatively easy to produce fixtures to give alternate home and away games ( there will be two together at halfway), even producing three away games in a row smacks of incompetence.

As Taxi Egg states, he and his fellow fixture secretaries have been churning out credible systems for donkey's ages yet the 'best run amateur league' fails miserably.

I know cost comes into it but to be honest what I've heard and people I speak to the lads just wouldn't commit to training and playing away.

Not the first time n wont be the last time this fixture chaos has occurred unless we move to monthly released fixtures as opposed to annual fixtures.

Great comments made about no more than two away fixtures being made in succession.

But will the fixture secretary take this on board?

I dont think he will even after last weeks grilling at the ncl meeting. Time for new blood in this capacity me thinks.

Supposedly lads have asked for transfers now and the coach is refusing releases as he doesnt wnt them goin to a certain team. even tho these lads originally played for the club they wnt to rejoin he is tryin to stop them rejoinin. its open age amateur rugby how can any1 possibly stop u playin for who u wnt to esp wen u dnt get paid. And rumour has it david lowe has asked the club these players wish to tranfer to not to sign any yet til something is rectified. Seems abit funny to me esp if they havent got a team anymore.

Supposedly lads have asked for transfers now and the coach is refusing releases as he doesnt wnt them goin to a certain team. even tho these lads originally played for the club they wnt to rejoin he is tryin to stop them rejoinin. its open age amateur rugby how can any1 possibly stop u playin for who u wnt to esp wen u dnt get paid. And rumour has it david lowe has asked the club these players wish to tranfer to not to sign any yet til something is rectified. Seems abit funny to me esp if they havent got a team anymore.

They re grouping next season? Bet he scared of losing them for good.

Ye but come end of this season thy can sign for who ever thy like and surely by stopping lads playing like tht it cud back fire and result in animosity due to this and result in lads leaving for good.

Not the first time n wont be the last time this fixture chaos has occurred unless we move to monthly released fixtures as opposed to annual fixtures.

Great comments made about no more than two away fixtures being made in succession.

But will the fixture secretary take this on board?

I dont think he will even after last weeks grilling at the ncl meeting. Time for new blood in this capacity me thinks.

I think the members need to be doing a bit more telling and a lot less asking, the NCL committee are there to serve its members,

I don't think any one member would disagree that a club should not play more than two away games , this is something that you don't even need a debate on, it's basic common sence, repermand the ones responsible and make sure it doesn't happen again, IT'S THAT SIMPLE, no club to play more than two games away,

Can we agree on this one Del capo, ? Are you prepare to put it on the block and action this most basic request?

Don't blame RFL software, garbage in garbage out.  The idiot that published the fixtures produced by this method should be put out to pasture.  It is relatively easy to produce fixtures to give alternate home and away games ( there will be two together at halfway), even producing three away games in a row smacks of incompetence.

As Taxi Egg states, he and his fellow fixture secretaries have been churning out credible systems for donkey's ages yet the 'best run amateur league' fails miserably.

Perhaps giving Clubs the option of a `free date', together with the NCL Cup not being a mandatory competition, has taken it's toll on the fixture lists.    In years gone by we didn't get the chance of a free date, and all NCL Clubs were entered into the National Cup, and I can't remember problems like have been reported this season.  Just a thought :sclerosis: . 

To b fair West Bank were admitted to ncl with a very week infrastructure that was never likely to succeed! The last time they had made reginal premier statusvwas 1999? They were admitted Imo to keep a widnes team in conference after st maries leaving. They were inducted after a half decent season in nwc divisin 2. If this isnt proof they were rushed in then i dnt knw wot is.

To b fair West Bank were admitted to ncl with a very week infrastructure that was never likely to succeed! The last time they had made reginal premier statusvwas 1999? They were admitted Imo to keep a widnes team in conference after st maries leaving. They were inducted after a half decent season in nwc divisin 2. If this isnt proof they were rushed in then i dnt knw wot is.

I don't think it was just an half decent season, no one could get near them,and they were unlucky not to win the final of the Lancashire cup from memory, I could be wrong but I think the veteran in there team was 23 at the time,

People can point at the fixtures as the reason for West Bank leaving the league, and I'd agree that they need looking at, but how many times have they been in front of the Disciplinary panel? By my reckoning it's 17 in a season and a half. They've had players sin binned and sent off more that any club in the NCL since their admission, but they whine about not been able to raise a team?! It's because they're always banned.

It's a shame to see any team leave the NCL, and they have some very very good players there, but they've played a huge part in their downfall!!

People can point at the fixtures as the reason for West Bank leaving the league, and I'd agree that they need looking at, but how many times have they been in front of the Disciplinary panel? By my reckoning it's 17 in a season and a half. They've had players sin binned and sent off more that any club in the NCL since their admission, but they whine about not been able to raise a team?! It's because they're always banned.

It's a shame to see any team leave the NCL, and they have some very very good players there, but they've played a huge part in their downfall!!

I would agree that their discipline has been poor since they joined. It often takes a season or two to adjust from Regional League discipline to NCL discipline - and I don't think they've made that step up. They must have spent a lot of money on fines, that's for sure!

Nothing to do with fixtures, we all know the fixtures and where we playing home and away before season start. Good team or bad team every other club has got a 17 out week in week out, it's down the the man management and effort put in by a head coach / staff

I don't think it was just an half decent season, no one could get near them,and they were unlucky not to win the final of the Lancashire cup from memory, I could be wrong but I think the veteran in there team was 23 at the time,

Well they won division 2 of nwc and didnt do it unbeaten, they did well to get into the lancashire cup final but ewt can happen in a cup game. They werent ready to take the big step up to conference rugby at the time and seems they rushed in too soon. I heard wen they first went it they didnt even consult the players and applied with out any player discussions. Seems abit more realistic now this has happend

Well they won division 2 of nwc and didnt do it unbeaten, they did well to get into the lancashire cup final but ewt can happen in a cup game. They werent ready to take the big step up to conference rugby at the time and seems they rushed in too soon. I heard wen they first went it they didnt even consult the players and applied with out any player discussions. Seems abit more realistic now this has happend

Can't comment on if they consulted there players but it didn't come as a surprise to me they were applying and I'm from Wigan, they have applied previously and were refused, so unless the players are all missing a screw I would assume they knew what there club was planning!, but as always , I could be wrong,

I also agree, anything can happen in a cup game but when you pull a string off wins together it isn't a one off game,

I remember Wigan Tech, a division 4 or 5 side of the nwc beating the current championed of the premier NCL at the time in the national cup, that was a one off game, we got hammers in the next round, if you make it all the way to a final it's because they deserve it, not a fluke.

Credit were credits due

Can't comment on if they consulted there players but it didn't come as a surprise to me they were applying and I'm from Wigan, they have applied previously and were refused, so unless the players are all missing a screw I would assume they knew what there club was planning!, but as always , I could be wrong,

I also agree, anything can happen in a cup game but when you pull a string off wins together it isn't a one off game,

I remember Wigan Tech, a division 4 or 5 side of the nwc beating the current championed of the premier NCL at the time in the national cup, that was a one off game, we got hammers in the next round, if you make it all the way to a final it's because they deserve it, not a fluke.

Credit were credits due

Theres no disputing they deserved credit for gettin there but to fast track them to ncl coz they got to a lancashire cup and won the 3rd teir of the nwc at the time was prob a major factor in the eventual withdrawl of the team.