Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob8

Nordic Cup

32 posts in this topic

Congratulations to Sweden, on their first victory in an international match.  They defeated Norway in the first round of the Nordic Cup; Norway 22 Sweden 40.

Their next game is against Denmark.  A victory in that game would signify their first Nordic Cup.

From the outside that seems like a surprise result. Good luck to the Swedes, and all of our Northern outposts.

Sweden take the spoils in opening match of Rugby League Nordic Cup

Sweden produced an upset win in the opening game of the 2013 Nordic Cup, beating holders and European Bowl participants Norway 40-22 in Oslo.
The underdog visitors raced into a 20-0 lead, skipper Fabian Wikander leading the way, the hooker posting a total of two tries and six goals in a 20 point haul.
Tom Bolton, who opened the scoring on five minutes, Sebastian A. Hylander, Tom Field, outstanding second rower Nadeem Riaz and Christian Suciu scored the other Sweden tries.
Norway’s pack fought back well in the second half and although 30-12 down at the break threatened a comeback with touchdowns to Magnus Sundsfjord, Kristian Elgheim – who also kicked three goals, Cam Leslie and Sonny Mellor, but it proved to be too little too late.
In a match refereed by Rajendra Shah, the majority of the Swedish side came from their newest domestic club Skåne Crusaders, whose coaches Paul Briggs and Ashley Brown worked their magic for the national team.
Sweden now prepare to take on Denmark at home in Kävlinge, Southern Sweden, on Saturday 3 August and with it a shot at winning the crown. The final match pitches Denmark at home to Norway a fortnight later.

It certainly looks like a lot of effort has been put into organising the day. Best of luck for everything.

Final result Sweden 38, Denmark 12. (H/T 28-0)

Sweden clinch the Nordric Cup title.

A great occasion, well covered by the local media (I was interviewed).

A tough game, but this is a very good, well trained and disciplined Swedish side.

We are delighted to have what we hope will be a friendly, bitter rivalry with newly strong Sweden.

According to the local paper 360 people paid to watch the game.

It was good to meet you!

Sorry, I was rushed when we met.  I could not see you later, so I assumed you left.  Hopefully, we can catch again soon (perhaps head over to the Denmark Sweden game in two weeks!

No worries Bob8. It was nice to meet you too. Yes, I had to leave quite early.

I'm hoping to catch the game on the 17th. Is the venue and kick-off time decided yet?

Here's what one paper wrote about the game. It's in Swedish, but I guess that it won't be any trouble getting an online translation.

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/sport/det-kostade-nagra-frakturer/

KO is kl.14, gates open at 12:30.

The game will be raising money for the Danish Cystic Fibrosis Association, and as well as the usual music BBQ, and beer, there will be top quality ale from The Black Swan beer bar and The Copenhagen Roller Derby team in attendance. 

Hi guys, are there team lists and scorers anywhere?

I will publish the squad list later.

I am afraid your mate was too busy getting married!

Use rejseplanen.dk

The 9A bus will take you to the door, so to speak.

Forwards

1. Aleksandar Nikic
  2. Anton Sass
  3. Andrew Woods
  4. Brian Brost
  5. Eugene Hanrahan
  6. Mikkel Wedervang
  7. Nathanael Smalley
  8. Nikolaj Nohr
  9. Oskar Risor
  10. Robert King
  11. Silas Mubanda