Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duffymoon

ARE WE DOWN?

59 posts in this topic

Not for a minute do I think it'll be easy to stay up, and to use a well-worn phrase "every game is now a cup final" for our beloved Lions. But (and to use another old saying) "it's never over till it's over" so lets unite as fans and get behind the team, in the run-in!

We are Swinton supporters, so let's support Swinton! Your club, our club, my club!

Spelly.

One question DavidM, who's the player in little photo? Looks a bit like Town legend Ike Southward to me. Am I right?

Arguably Swinton may have an easier run in than Barrow, York and Hunslet.

With performances like we have been putting out then we will go down and will thoroughly deserve what we get. :(

With improved performances we could win at home to Barrow and York, give Doncaster a game away and win at Whitehaven if they will already have an eye on the playoffs having qualified by then! - possibly enough.

With vastly improved performances (and more than our share of luck) we can beat a top 5 team pick up bonuses and get 15 points from the remaining 6 games which would likely be enough. :crazy:

Even defeat in both of the next two games (Featherstone and Leigh) does not open the trap door fully and so with improved performances we could take it to the last game as Morty suggests -

A pretty good analysis. Will be interesting to see if Barrow can get anything at Donny at the weekend, if so a little gap may open up between York, Hunslet, Swinton and the rest.

Although it has to be said that things have stayed amazingly tight so far, so perhaps its destined to go down to the last game.

Blue Monkey... Get yourself a gold star my friend . I pay homage to the great man indeed . Just to sit and listen to him tell tales of his tour to Oz was pure magic . Great player , great guy , great groundsman with unbelievable skill of balancing his fag on his lower lip while cutting the pitch .. Legend .

As a "glass half empty" type of person I can't see us getting out of the mire in which we are more than up to our necks - just the nostrils above the quicksand now I'd say.  I don't see any sign of a settled team emerging and though most of the players seem to be trying we are still ill disciplined, lacking attacking flair or ideas and hoplessly inconsistent in defence.  We conceed far too many points and seem to lack the fight of other teams in the danger zone in battling for at least a bonus point.  Confidence must be at a very low ebb in the squad no matter what anyone says.

Mark Smith has said he likes to play the full eighty minutes and feels fit enough to do that. If he is not carrying any injury he has to stay on the field especially while Watson is out and bring a bit of leadership to the young lads who are struggling at this level.  None of the players we have used as interchanges for him have produced the goods as consistently as he is still able to do so why not keep him in the thick of things?

We are not yet down and miracle turn arounds do happen in sport so it's not impossible that we will avoid relegation with a stirring end of season run. Fingers and everything else crossed that the miracle happens.

Mark Smith has said he likes to play the full eighty minutes and...

Good on yer Mark, players should play the full 80 minutes. After all, we were RL Champions two seasons on the trot with 13 players doing the full 80 minutes. These days they're on and off the pitch so much that it's a miracle they aren't dizzy with it all.

:tease:

Blue Monkey... Get yourself a gold star my friend . I pay homage to the great man indeed . Just to sit and listen to him tell tales of his tour to Oz was pure magic . Great player , great guy , great groundsman with unbelievable skill of balancing his fag on his lower lip while cutting the pitch .. Legend .

Thanks pal, you've made my day. Yes, I'm owd enough to have seen him play. I think he went to Oldham after service with Town.

:yahoo:

Thanks pal, you've made my day. Yes, I'm owd enough to have seen him play. I think he went to Oldham after service with Town.

:yahoo:

Ike went from Town to Oldham in 1958 for a then record transfer fee and the first five figure transfer fee - £10,650.

Town then resigned him in 1960 from Oldham for another then record transfer fee of £11,002- 10 shillings to break the then existing record.