Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLYMOLY

Royal baby

92 posts in this topic

By the way, I don't care what the Royal baby is called. I just pointed out that the roster of names of Princes of Wales reflect the fact  that the Royal family has historically never seen Wales as anything other than a minor territory under its control.

As far as I'm concerned, we didn't want them in the first place and I don't want them now.

The Welsh Muslims?

The main, and very longstanding, settlement of Muslims has been in Cardiff. Historically, a lot were Arabs of Yemeni and and Egyptian ethnicity. As far as I am aware, they have always integrated well. I was once talking to a scholboy from Cardiff at a fee-paying muslim school in Dewsbury. His parents had wanted him to get a muslim education and, presumably thought Cardiff schools were too secular.

I'm fed up of saying this, but, here we go again: 

1 - I have no beef whatsoever with individual Moslems

2  - My beef is with the way they, as a community, exploit the system and don't uphold traditional British standards of behaviour.

3  -  If I was a third world immigrant ... muslim or any other ethnicity ... I would jump at the opportunity to come here and make a better life for myself

4  - If I was a third world immigrant, I wouldn't immediately try to milk the system to send social service money back to my homeland, nor decline to learn English, nor ignore English laws, nor sell my children into marriage so that their partner could get British citizenship, nor marry my cousin (for money) and know that my children would stand a fairly high chance of congenital physical or mental handicap.

5 - In my opinion, the city where I live, and which I love, is being dragged down by the behaviour outlined in  point 4 by ethnic groups (we have also recieved an influx of Eastern Europeans). I don't intend to keep quiet about it.

Since 1284 there have been 23 x Princes of Wales,who were also Princes of Cornwall.

German names? .... check

French names?  ..... check

English names? ..... check

Greek names? ......  check

Current Prince meeting one or more of these criteria? ...     check

Heir Presumptive meeting one or more of these criteria? ... check

New baby meeting one or more of these criteria? ...             check

How many have had celtic names?

Sweet #### none.

Tbf I don't know that very many Cornish folk have Celtic name nor all that many in Wales either. For every "Aled", there are probably half a dozen "Davids".

How many times have you read and heard the phrase Arthur  ... King of the Britons? I have, dozens and dozens of times.

How many times have you read and heard the phrase Arthur  ... King of the Welsh? I never have.

I think if you asked a hundred Europeans where the name Arthur originated, they would say 'England.'

Does that really matter? Wales is just a bump on the side of England in any case.

Tbf I don't know that very many Cornish folk have Celtic name nor all that many in Wales either. For every "Aled", there are probably half a dozen "Davids".

Isn't David a Celtic name, normally rendered in Welsh as Dafydd?

I was in St David's last month on the tip of Pembrokeshire, and St David's Cathedral is well worth a visit.

Does that really matter? Wales is just a bump on the side of England in any case.

Yes, and the Vatican is just a suburb of Rome. And Gibraltar is just any old bit of Spain.

:tongue:

Yes, and the Vatican is just a suburb of Rome. And Gibraltar is just any old bit of Spain.

:tongue:

Yeah, Wales is practically just another English county. Not a proper country like Scotland.

Yeah, Wales is practically just another English county. Not a proper country like Scotland.

Wales isn't a country, it's a principality.

That's a bit harsh.

Especially as the Welsh has accorded your home city of Gloucester with the privilege of having its own Welsh name ... Caerloyw. I don't speak Welsh but I am advised it translates as Settlement of the Silver Caravans.

Wales isn't a country, it's a principality.

On the contrary, that phrase indicates it's the principal country in Britain.

That's a bit harsh.

Especially as the Welsh has accorded your home city of Gloucester with the privilege of having its own Welsh name ... Caerloyw. I don't speak Welsh but I am advised it translates as Settlement of the Silver Caravans.

Yeah, well the Welsh can shove that name up their ***** :P. my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.

Yeah, well the Welsh can shove that name up their ***** :P. my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.

You lot in East Wales should be grateful we let you 'orrible Saxon types squat in our outlying regions. :P 

my problem with the welsh is the massive inferiority complex they have.

After the last 6 nations many of them seem to have shaken that off and gone too far the other way. Listening to some of them you would think the 2015 RWC was a sure thing for the men in Red....quickly forgetting recent losses to Samoa, Ireland and most SH teams (sorry Craig I am not trying to derail the thread with a RU discussion...honest Guv).

It's not a complex.

No, we have to keep everything simple so that the English can understand it.

Isn't David a Celtic name, normally rendered in Welsh as Dafydd?

I was in St David's last month on the tip of Pembrokeshire, and St David's Cathedral is well worth a visit.

No, it's a Hebrew name taken from the Bible. Think about King David of Israel.

David is the English form, Dafydd is the Welsh form.