Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregory

Catalan away support

30 posts in this topic

Catalan always seem to be extremely strong at home and possible Grand Final contenders, but are consistently let down by their indifferent away form. Obviously the vast amount of travelling they have to do may partly account for this. Do they bring many supporters with them? 

very few.

In the cup tie at Batley a couple of years back the only support they had were a few relatives and wives of the players who had either travelled with them or came to the game as they were in Britain.

Cant blame them to be fair, it would cost a fortune to follow them home and away all season.

You definitely can't blame them. Whilst for fans of every other SL club Catalans away is an annual event giving them the chance to visit the South of France, every away game for the Catalans fans is a massive slog involving visting some not very pleasant Northern English towns.

You definitely can't blame them. Whilst for fans of every other SL club Catalans away is an annual event giving them the chance to visit the South of France, every away game for the Catalans fans is a massive slog involving visting some not very pleasant Northern English towns.

Jesus Christ

One day we'll get a thread which doesn't slag off the place where the game is played.

There really is no wonder we can't spread our game.

Jesus Christ

One day we'll get a thread which doesn't slag off the place where the game is played.

That was just an honest assessment of this particular situation. If you were a Catalans fan living in Perpignan would you be inclined to spend thousands of pounds travelling to Castelford, Wakefield, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington etc?

very few.

In the cup tie at Batley a couple of years back the only support they had were a few relatives and wives of the players who had either travelled with them or came to the game as they were in Britain.

Cant blame them to be fair, it would cost a fortune to follow them home and away all season.

Interestingly, around 200-250 Catalans fans go to occasions like Magic weekend, The CCF and GF. They also travel in blocks to certain fixtures on official tours - there have been 100-200 at Leeds, Wigan etc. on occasions. The tours are normally maybe a Sun-Fri turn around (2 games) or linked to other big occasions/fixtures.

Outside of these there really is no criticism for 20-30 fans to travel to other away games. Of those, most fans maybe only go 2-3 times so there will be a spread of different visitors over the season.

Jesus Christ

saying that some of the towns where SL teams are based are not attractive for a weekend away for Catalan fans has nothing to do with spreading our game.

saying that some of the towns where SL teams are based are not attractive for a weekend away for Catalan fans has nothing to do with spreading our game.

It's just a general attitude to the games heartland, we talk it down all the time. 

Catalans' away support is one of the arguments tabled when suggesting they bring nothing to the game (yes, I have actually argued against this).

My response is always: Catalans away support is irrelevent; they weren't included in super league for this. French and Catalans clubs are not involved to bring cash in to the British-based teams. That isn't their purpose and it never will be.

It's just a general attitude to the games heartland, we talk it down all the time. 

people don't have to like the towns.

I'd never consider having a short break in Wigan, but it is a fantastic Rugby League club.

A lot of the Catalans "away" supporters are actually people who live in Britain. Before Crusaders moved to Wrexham there were several people in North Wales who supported Catalans. About 16 all told actually, and when NW Crusaders didn't have a game a couple of weeks ago quite a few of them went to Perpignan for the London match.

My team in the south of France come to England every year and they love it, they love Wigan and blackpool, ! Some of them are going back again in September!

Interesting concept though. Populate the SL with teams from towns and cities that are worth going to for a long weekend. Let's see who of the current bunch would survive the cull and who from outside the SL would be welcomed in? Existing semi pro and pro teams only.

I think it has much to do with actually living in the heartland towns. Your home town has seen better days, is still suffering problems caused by industrial decline and, sometimes, serious lack of future prospects, and doesn't seem to have the glamour and attractions other, more fortunate areas. When I moved away, though, I started discovering people going to Manchester for city breaks, and even places like Halifax cropped up in conversations about holidays.

Personally, I could incorporate a game at any heartland club into a decent and attractive weekend break.

You could well tick two boxes for York. I was pleasantly surprised for the Knights game in Perpignan for Cup match recently that how well covered the game was by both BBC Radio York as well as a reporter from their local paper. They do better than some of the counties SL clubs too.

As Alan Walsh mentions his Minervois club regularly come over the Channel & take in games. Lots of junior sides have been coming over to the UK for years long before the Catalans arrived in SL.

Interesting concept though. Populate the SL with teams from towns and cities that are worth going to for a long weekend. Let's see who of the current bunch would survive the cull and who from outside the SL would be welcomed in? Existing semi pro and pro teams only.

London safe in SL for ever then!

That was just an honest assessment of this particular situation. If you were a Catalans fan living in Perpignan would you be inclined to spend thousands of pounds travelling to Castelford, Wakefield, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington etc?

No, but I might well be inclined to visit Yorkshire in general.  Particularly after the Tour De France next year.

Incidentally - it might be a good idea for the Giants to play their home match against the Catalans on the Tour De France dates next year.  Could be some interesting marketing tie-ups and piggybacking to be done.

BTW,  Wakefield is a globally regarded centre for modern sculpture. 

London safe in SL for ever then!

Not if they were based somewhere like Tower Hamlets.

Bill Bryson, Notes From a Small Island.

Such was the picture of appalling squalor Orwell painted that even now I was startled to find how neat and well maintained Wigan appeared to be as we entered it by means of a long hill. I got off at the bottom, pleased to return to the fresh air, and set off in search of the famous pier. Wigan Pier is an arresting landmark, yet - and here's another reason to be a bit cautious with regard to old George's reporting skills - after spending some days in the town, he concluded that the pier had been demolished. (So too, for that matter, did Paul Theroux in Kingdom by the Sea.) Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you think it a bit odd to write a book called The Road to Wigan Pier and to spend some days in the town and never once think to ask anybody whether the pier was still there or not?

Wigan, and many other Northern Towns may not be the Cotswolds, but a lot are not as bad as painted by those who live there.

Many of these towns are within less than an hour from 4 National Parks, Snowdonia, Peak District, Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.

Wigan is the Greenest of the 10 Associated Manchester Authorities.

Warrington and WIgan both sit on the West Coast Main Line making London only a fraction over 2 hours away. Both these towns have great East West links to Manchester and Liverpool by road and Rail.

Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield are a great gateway to North Yorkshire, York and Harrogate.

We shouldn't only look at can we attract people to RL games by what we can offer on our doorstep, but look from the outside in. Can we use visitors to places that surround our clubs to come to games by working closer and pushing offers through the tourist agencies.

Saints v Wigan on a Monday night in the middle of summer with Blackpool on the doorstep should be looking at getting people on Holiday there to the game, it should be a joint marketing venture with both clubs doing a reciprocal deal for each game.

• Slightly off topic. Is there a French Magic Weekend this year? If so where and when please.

There is a magic weekend at Montpellier but only for the elite 2 clubs