Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

28/07/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

54 posts in this topic

oldham beat NW crusaders 28-10....attendance 1200+

And denying them the bonus point. Get in. They're still in the driving seat though. All we can do is win all our games and hope crusaders slip up again.

Could be quite a fight for promotion between Oldham and Crusaders when for most of the season the Cru have looked confident of finishing top. 

Well played the roughyeds a deserved win imo, not sure who was counting on the turnstiles tho' 8-900 maximum imho, even the home stewards near me just shook their heads when 1200 was announced.

Well played the roughyeds a deserved win imo, not sure who was counting on the turnstiles tho' 8-900 maximum imho, even the home stewards near me just shook their heads when 1200 was announced.

Yes with our great relationship with the taxman it's always a good idea to over declare the attendance...

Well done Oldham on a thoroughly deserved victory, but having been at the Oldham .v. Scorpions game a couple of weeks ago I have to say that I was also astounded when they gave the crowd as over 1000. That is a lie, or somebody can't count! I really would have preferred to just congratulated Oldham and leave it at that but the crowd was nowhere near 1000.

over the moon with our win today at south wales scorpions....been really tough last 4 seasons being bottom every season, though we've improved alot this season and its great to get another win finally really happy onwards and upwards....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

Even though other posters are claiming only 900 were there, that would still be way above any other attendance at Oldham this season. Just goes to show that promotion battles do attract top attendances.

I really like the Crusaders, their organisation, their coach and their support but Oldham dearly need some luck and promotion  to kick start a revival in this legendary RL outpost. They have had so many near misses and losses in playoff finals, they almost seem cursed.

Sounds like the game was a good advert for CC1 rugby. A positive moment.

1200 looked to be about right to me.

Enjoyed the game. Two good sets of supporters really up for the match. Oldham deserved the points. They played their game plan well in the first half and when Crusaders had a bit of steam up after half time they defended really well. I did wonder if Crusaders had a bit of a cup final hangover and from the reaction of the Oldham players at the end they clearly saw the game as their own cup final. Hopefully they will have the same hangover when they come to Skolars next week.

I really liked the clubhouse and there was a good atmosphere in the ground. I have to admit I was concerned about the state of the pitch even before the match had kicked off and the skies opened. Stuart Reardon's injury happened right in front of me and it is always a worry to see a player go down in such pain without a finger being laid on him.

Still it was another great advert for the game at CC1 and makes for an exciting run in to the end of the season. Still not sure I would describe Oldham as a RL outpost though

over the moon with our win today at south wales scorpions....been really tough last 4 seasons being bottom every season, though we've improved alot this season and its great to get another win finally really happy onwards and upwards....COME ON THUNDER! COME ON THUNDER!!

Well done Thunder..............if there is a good spirit at the club and passionate support, who knows what can happen !

1200 looked to be about right to me.

Enjoyed the game. Two good sets of supporters really up for the match. Oldham deserved the points. They played their game plan well in the first half and when Crusaders had a bit of steam up after half time they defended really well. I did wonder if Crusaders had a bit of a cup final hangover and from the reaction of the Oldham players at the end they clearly saw the game as their own cup final. Hopefully they will have the same hangover when they come to Skolars next week.

I really liked the clubhouse and there was a good atmosphere in the ground. I have to admit I was concerned about the state of the pitch even before the match had kicked off and the skies opened. Stuart Reardon's injury happened right in front of me and it is always a worry to see a player go down in such pain without a finger being laid on him.

Still it was another great advert for the game at CC1 and makes for an exciting run in to the end of the season. Still not sure I would describe Oldham as a RL outpost though

Not sure how people can estimate with any accuracy what the crowd is at a match, particularly at a venue such as Whitebank.

Probably need that Dustin Hoffman character from "Rainman" to have a quick look and say exactly what the number is.

As someone else has alluded to, it is not usually the case that a taxpayer overstates his, her or its income !

Agree that Oldham is not really an RL "outpost".............it's just seemed like that in recent years, out of the limelight.

Keighley always says nice things about Oldham and is obviously well aware of the club's illustrious history, and I think that is what has prompted  the "outpost" comment.

RL fans really are the best counters in the world.

Well done Oldham.  We were beaten fair and square by the better team on the day.  Thanks to all at Oldham RLFC for making us welcome at Whitebank.

Oldham deserved it yesterday and the fans created a lot of noise to create a good atmosphere.

I really don't want this to sound like sour grapes and im not making excuses as both teams have the same conditions, but the facilities at white bank are a disgrace.

The pitch was bare in patches and covered in stones.

Although the club house is very good the facilities at the ground for supporters are dire.

If Oldham are to get promoted how would they come close to meeting the standards of championship if they're to stay there?

I can't see Oldham not getting promoted. I agree with you about the facilities at Whitebank but let them enjoy the victory they deserved. They can worry about the ground after the season is over. I still expect Crusaders to win the league and I would like Hemel to be promoted through the play off, but that is unlikely so I hope its Oldham because they have impressed me this season. Scott and Lee have done a great job there, with limited resources.

I can't see Oldham not getting promoted. I agree with you about the facilities at Whitebank but let them enjoy the victory they deserved. They can worry about the ground after the season is over. I still expect Crusaders to win the league and I would like Hemel to be promoted through the play off, but that is unlikely so I hope its Oldham because they have impressed me this season. Scott and Lee have done a great job there, with limited resources.

Can Oldham not play bigger games at Boundary Park?

we might have to play all our games at boundary park if we get promoted

PS great win for Gateshead today. Really made up for you lads. See you next week.

well done to gateshead. a great win for them

we might have to play all our games at boundary park if we get promoted

But will the Latics board allow it?.

But will the Latics board allow it?.

Why wouldn't they ?

I'm not up to speed on why the arrangement they had previously ended.

Can someone enlighten me ?

If im not mistaken the then manager at the time Dave Penney said he didn't want them to ruin the pitch so the football team could play more effectively (ironically his tactics were the most negative football of all time leading to his dismissal) and we were asked to find an alternative, leading to Mr Hamilton going to the council cap in hand and being given Whitebank.

If im not mistaken the then manager at the time Dave Penney said he didn't want them to ruin the pitch so the football team could play more effectively (ironically his tactics were the most negative football of all time leading to his dismissal) and we were asked to find an alternative, leading to Mr Hamilton going to the council cap in hand and being given Whitebank.

Could Oldham not play the bigger games at BP and the smaller ones at Whitebank in exchange for letting the football team use Whitebank for youth games etc? This would seem like a sensible arrangement given that BP is the councils