Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

27/07/13 - CCSF - London Broncos v Wigan Warriors - KO 5pm (BBC2)

Which of these semi finalists will make it to Wembley?   28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these semi finalists will make it to Wembley?

• London Broncos by 13 points or more.
    • London Broncos by 7-12 points.
    • London Broncos by 1-6 points.
    • Wigan Warriors by 1-6 points.
    • Wigan Warriors by 7-12 points.
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

266 posts in this topic

Right to be depressed was I not ?

First off, I do think in the clamour to condem London's excremental performance due credit has not been given to Wigan for a throughly professional 80 minute performance. Many sides at 34-0 up at the break would have had put the cue on nthe rack for the second half. Wigan did not and although they got the marginal calls from Bentham. He could have given the lot to the Broncos and the scoreline would have remained unchanged. The only jarring note for Wiganers is that you are alleged to have signed Dan Sarginson for next year

I am just gobsmacked at the attitude of the London players, you would have though given the plight of the club that was every incentive for players to put in a performance to put themselves into the shop window to pick up a contract elsewhere. Some of them have played themselves out of this league as I cannot see another club touching them.

The old familiar "faces" were there for the club in the away end -and judging by the number oif Wiganers mixed in our end, despite there not exactly being a shortage of space elsewhere, I must conclude that whoever is in the RFL ticket office has no idea that a WN post code does not equal "away end" when Wigan are playing....  One of the more recognisable characters at the Broncos the voice known as "the Gob" on RLFans had even brought a drum with him - presumably to drum up support in mujch the way a fellow at Huddersfield did in their gloomy years. The drum was silent as the voice as like the rest of us he was left feeling numb at what was going on out there. In truth despite my gloomy but accurate prognostication, I was hoping like Spicer that there would be a bit of a game probably ending 30-18 to Wigan where I could spin an "if only" yarn but no and I am afraid this is it for the club.

As Tony Rea hinted in his post match interview any potential investor in the club has now seen what a shambles the club is on and off the pitch. In pre-match conversation with a few Wiganers in Leigh the view was offered by someone who claimed to be in the know that the RFL are desperate to keep London in next year for the same reason that Bradford were spared last year in that there is no on to replace them of a sufficient standard and I think this is plausible in that two years ago I went to the St Helens v Featherstone CC game at the Halton stadium which had a similar scoreine and of course the cream of the championship has already been defeated by London in this challenge cup run. Something some posters should bear in mind before putting tip of finger to keyboard...

The other reason offered was to preserve the magic weekend with an even number of clubs, I think this is plausible but I am not keen on having more of the same for one final season. i did not see David Hughes yesterday it rumoured he stormed out at half-time. Although I have not agreed with many of his decisions and my eyes would not water but bleed at the amount of money he has spent on the club. Continuing to pur money into the club is iike a suicide victim who if you know about these situations often are on the ledge about to hurl themselves onto the ground / track. and then they hesitate as the voice of common sense speaks in the back of their brain to say this really is not a good idea.

Its not just the players ow the fans too have given up o the club really whatever is said on messageboards and despite a conga line formed of RL fans posters at the end of the game. Me I was the one who eft on the final hooter exclaiming "Thank F*** that's over "   before leaving the ground for Leigh Bus station at Warp 9 .Each to their own I suppose.

So realisticall,y I do not think there will be a London Broncos in 2014, Our current benefactor is looking to disinvest and frankly after yesterday should not be putting any more in , the players cannot be arsed, the fans now cannot be arsed, The website club shop had shut last week, there are no new signings for next season and no new ground and after yesterday no new investors. In reality people have to accept this.

If Jamie Soward stays at the club for the remaining five games it will be because Jaime wants to and I do expect to hear somethng this Thursday on SKY.

BTW - It cost me £ 200  all tod travel & accomodation for the dubious priviledge of seeing one decent RL side yesterday. Unfortunately it was not the one I was barracking for.....

the RFL are desperate to keep London in next year for the same reason that Bradford were spared last year in that there is no on to replace them of a sufficient standard and I think this is plausible in that two years ago I went to the St Helens v Featherstone CC game at the Halton stadium which had a similar scoreine and of course the cream of the championship has already been defeated by London in this challenge cup run. Something some posters should bear in mind before putting tip of finger to keyboard...

Hmm. The cream of a part time league were put to the sword by a full time team who are paid top dollar but couldn't cut it when it mattered most. The London players, some but not all, should hand their money back to David Hughes for a breach of the trades descriptions act. They are masquerading as professional rugby league players.

No-one is devaluing anything Dave just trying to put into perspective that a team of full timers were playing a team of part timers. The score in 1992 was more acceptable under those circumstances than yesterday's game between two full time teams both spending full cap.

TBH mate it wasn't necessarily around this thread, more the overall commentary around that period - plenty of fans, particularly Saints fans like to devalue Wigan's phenomenal achievements during the period.

I class Wigan as my team's biggest rivals, but they were brilliant during that period.

I commented on Facebook that it has long been said that David Hughes' subsidy to this club equates to £125,000 per matchday. Rather than subsidise this club, why not allow it to find its natural level? If Mr Hughes wishes to positively influence rugby league in London, how about putting £250,000 into a community trust every year to make it a little easier for amateur RL clubs? You could fund every club in the south of England on that money. Then we might get a critical mass of players feeding semi-pro clubs where we can step up based on merit.

TBH mate it wasn't necessarily around this thread, more the overall commentary around that period - plenty of fans, particularly Saints fans like to devalue Wigan's phenomenal achievements during the period.

I class Wigan as my team's biggest rivals, but they were brilliant during that period.

I've given up trying to discuss the period between 1988 - 1995. There are so many myths, mistruths and bitter opinions masquerading as facts, that it is completely pointless. There is an old saying that if a lie is repeated often enough people will take it as the truth and I often think that is the case for that era. Selective memories and the opposite of rose tinted glasses. It's sad because that team and their approach to the game was arguably the platform and catalyst for the development of RL as a fully professional sport which was necessary in the modern era.

I've given up trying to discuss the period between 1988 - 1995. There are so many myths, mistruths and bitter opinions masquerading as facts, that it is completely pointless. There is an old saying that if a lie is repeated often enough people will take it as the truth and I often think that is the case for that era. Selective memories and the opposite of rose tinted glasses. It's sad because that team and their approach to the game was arguably the platform and catalyst for the development of RL as a fully professional sport which was necessary in the modern era.

Agree we had to try catch Wigan not let them come back to us!

Chronicler - Felt sorry for the London fans like yourself who made their way up. I thought/hoped the score would have been much closer. How many London fans made their way up would you say? We could certainly hear them just before KO in the central London pub we were in. Was a very painful experience but sorrows were (eventually) drowned.

Certainly over 100, however I came up from mid-Wales as I feared that this could be the last oportunity to see them play and I wonder if there were others there for the same reason. There would have been more, but the coach the club ran was scheduled to get back around midnight after the trains had stopped running and didn't have a drop off point in central London for people to get the night buses. When I think of the effort people put in to keep the club going in the eighties after we left the Cottage (if you can find a copy of 'From Fulham to Wembley', there's my tribute to the old Maintenance Crew in it) I get VERY angry at what's going on now!

The Bradford side of that time was a relatively poor one - they weren't too far away from being relegated for most of that season.

I think you'll find, if you care to look for the facts, that at the time both clubs were semi pro - it was 3 seasons after that game before any clubs went fully professional, the first being Leeds.

In that league match, Wigan scored 36 points inside the first 20 minutes or so and people on the terraces were expecting a score of 100+ of which Wigan were more than capable - some sympathetic refereeing and some easing back by Wigan kept it to 50. Not sure it was the last game either.

A bit of revisionism I think!

Wigan may have had an odd semi-pro but were predominantly full time well before the advent of SL - that indeed was one of the drivers of SL, to bring all clubs a bit nearer to the standards Wigan were setting.

It always amuses me the way people denigrate the Wigan team of the 80s and 90s as though being professional (and I'm using the word in the brad sense, not just in the contest of the number of full time rugby players they did or did not have) was somehow cheating. What Wigan did, first under Graham Lowe and then with John Monie was establish a professional regime, employing conditioning staff, nutritionists etc. that most other clubs weren't doing at that time. It is probably this regime more than whether players were full time or not that set Wigan apart from the competition. In his book Blood, Mud and Glory. The Inside Story of Wigan's Year, written in 1991, Neil Hanson describes many players jobs; Steve Hampson was a pub landlord. Andy Gregory ran his father in law’s scrap metal business. Ian Lucas was an antique dealer. Joe Lydon a graphic designer (just a few of the top of my head). So no, they were far from a full squad of full time professional rugby players and no amount of history re-writing by fans of other clubs won’t change that fact. 

Well I tried to make the effort and show a bit of faith in my side but as we all knew deep down they were never

going to progress. The sad thing is that despite the enormity of the fixture and the fact that it was broadcast

live nationwide they still couldnt rustle up the pride and heart to compete for more than a token 15 minutes at best.

Even allowing for Wigan`s good clinical play,we should not have been on the end of such a hiding that embarrassed

the sport. 30 or 40 maybe against such opposition yes, but not 70.

Although I may have been critical of the way he has seemingly let things drift at The Broncos, I was left feeling sorry

for David Hughes. If the team couldnt get up for that game saturday what chance of them doing so in front of 1000

thursday. No doubt we will keep them out for a while before the first couple of score`s lead to yet another drop in heads

and the usual collapse.

Still it was still a good weekend mixing with fellow Broncos before and after the match and also with the very friendly

locals at Leigh East at the Elland fixture. Also we were made very welcome at Oldham yesterday at the entertaining 

Crusaders fixture.

One last thing and well done to the Board of Leigh Centurions RLFC for providing 10 double rooms with breakfast

at The Park Inn at No charge for London Fans.. We were of course pleased to donate a sum to The Wigan and Leigh Hospice

as suggested,although that was not a proviso of the booking.

Anyway Bring on the Rhinos !!!      ;)

It always amuses me the way people denigrate the Wigan team of the 80s and 90s as though being professional (and I'm using the word in the brad sense, not just in the contest of the number of full time rugby players they did or did not have) was somehow cheating. What Wigan did, first under Graham Lowe and then with John Monie was establish a professional regime, employing conditioning staff, nutritionists etc. that most other clubs weren't doing at that time. It is probably this regime more than whether players were full time or not that set Wigan apart from the competition. In his book Blood, Mud and Glory. The Inside Story of Wigan's Year, written in 1991, Neil Hanson describes many players jobs; Steve Hampson was a pub landlord. Andy Gregory ran his father in law’s scrap metal business. Ian Lucas was an antique dealer. Joe Lydon a graphic designer (just a few of the top of my head). So no, they were far from a full squad of full time professional rugby players and no amount of history re-writing by fans of other clubs won’t change that fact. 

It looks like plenty of Wigan fans have a chip on their shoulder whenever anyone points out Wigan were a team of full time pros before anyone else was. No-one is denigrating anything the Wigan team of that era achieved. They were one of if not the best club side this country has ever produced but to try to tell me Andy Gregory ran a scrap yard or Ian Lucas was an antique dealer is being a little, shall we say, liberal with the truth. Jobs in name only. Why is it I'm told not to believe what John Kear has written in his book but Neil Hanson's views are gospel?

Incidentally, I have spoken to a few people at work in London who all mentioned that they saw Wigan's extraordinary exhibition on Saturday. Without thinking about the broader context a great team, whose name resonates with wider public, putting on a show seems to have hit the mark somewhere. Sometimes people will just focus on excellence when they see a dominant win.

Incidentally, I have spoken to a few people at work in London who all mentioned that they saw Wigan's extraordinary exhibition on Saturday. Without thinking about the broader context a great team, whose name resonates with wider public, putting on a show seems to have hit the mark somewhere. Sometimes people will just focus on excellence when they see a dominant win.

You must be 'grimacing, surely' writing that lot :download: .

Firstly this present Wigan side is nowhere close to being a GREAT TEAM!

A decent one, of course they are, but superlatives to the tune of great are too readily bandied about when fans talk of their own favourites and, you presently are guilty of doing just that.

I am certain that it will come as no surprise to all and sundry when I inform you that I switched off the game at the twenty minute mark.

Or that is when Wigan strolled over for yet another undefended try, making the score 22-0 and a goalkick under the posts to come, at that stage I had seen enough.

Although, not of a great team on show but simply of a mismatch and one side that should not have been allowed to enter the field let alone pretend to be there on merit.

Actually as someone also stated, 30 maybe 40 nil could have been accepted but never 70.

For in all honesty I really doubt that the side London beat to reach the semi, Sheffield, would have lost by such a margin.

As far as I can see this was yet another example of why I have become so disenchanted with the C/Cup as there are so many poor games and the competition itself has become more of a hindrance than a help in the promotion of the game of R/L to the wider public. 

That game provided for me an absolutely excruciating 20 minutes and anyone who could bear it throughout, I feel, must have been hard up for something to do.

As far as I can see this was yet another example of why I have become so disenchanted with the C/Cup as there are so many poor games and the competition itself has become more of a hindrance than a help in the promotion of the game of R/L to the wider public.

Then we must seed it so that it doesn't come to this?

Non SL clubs play till there's two of them then they add to the 14 SL clubs.

Contrived YES, better for providing decent games to showcase Yes?

Up until the semi word was DH was giving it one more season,i hope he does not change his mind as the RFL are desperate now to get at least 12 clubs to the starting gate next season.

CM

Oh come on spill the beans. Which clubs (that Wane referred to) are in dire straits?

Then we must seed it so that it doesn't come to this?

Non SL clubs play till there's two of them then they add to the 14 SL clubs.

Contrived YES, better for providing decent games to showcase Yes?

Yep. It has to be considered.

I said on here it was a sad day for the game after Saturdays tie which might have been a bit strong but some of the London defence on show was totally unacceptable and devalued our game to the wider watching public.