Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duff Duff

20,000 + For Lancashire v Yorkshire?

163 posts in this topic

My solution to that would be to not allow them to play for Lancashire or Yorkshire.  Simple.

I agree with the basic principle.  I don't want people from outside Yorkshire playing for Yorkshire.  Who plays for Lancashire bothers me less.

But if this is to be a national trial then the players who are good enough - from Cumbria or London say - will for the sake of fairness require some way of also being put on trial.

The sun has got to me but I am getting to the stage where I'm thinking Yorks v Lancs v Exiles over 3 match days with the latter having players from outside the Roses wouldn't be *such* a bad idea.

I agree with the basic principle.  I don't want people from outside Yorkshire playing for Yorkshire.  Who plays for Lancashire bothers me less.

But if this is to be a national trial then the players who are good enough - from Cumbria or London say - will for the sake of fairness require some way of also being put on trial.

The sun has got to me but I am getting to the stage where I'm thinking Yorks v Lancs v Exiles over 3 match days with the latter having players from outside the Roses wouldn't be *such* a bad idea.

Heatstroke!

If Super League was shut down for three Saturdays and performances in County matches was the main criteria for international selection then it would work.

How can you justify that comment?

As with State of Origin and international sport in general players should be able to qualify for either of the county teams. 3 or 4 years residence maybe and/or the county in which a player first played professional rugby in. 

Obviously that would only apply to those that were born outside the two counties. 

So if 3 Saturdays in the middle of the season were dedicated to Roses Matches what would your average punters do? Go to the ground or watch on TV the best 34 English players slug it out or would they boycott it?

I find it hard to believe that if their were no club distractions for either the players or spectators the matches would be met with widespread apathy. 

So if 3 Saturdays in the middle of the season were dedicated to Roses Matches what would your average punters do? Go to the ground or watch on TV the best 34 English players slug it out or would they boycott it?

I find it hard to believe that if their were no club distractions for either the players or spectators the matches would be met with widespread apathy. 

When have supporters ever supported concepts like this or the Exiles match in vast numbers before? We even struggle at times to get decent crowds to watch the best 17 Englishmen vs the world's best i..e Australia and New Zealand.

Matching Origin with our own 'version' as a test trial is a pipe dream. If we want to increase the intensity for our players, SL is the vehicle, not another manufactured concept.

People from Lancashire don't really care about Lancashire anymore.

Yes - I can see why .......

When have supporters ever supported concepts like this or the Exiles match in vast numbers before? We even struggle at times to get decent crowds to watch the best 17 Englishmen vs the world's best i..e Australia and New Zealand.

Matching Origin with our own 'version' as a test trial is a pipe dream. If we want to increase the intensity for our players, SL is the vehicle, not another manufactured concept.

The Exiles crowds haven't been that bad the the crowds at the Roses Matches weren't that bad either before they were cancelled. 

If they can get 10,000 plus to the games to begin with then it would be worth while.

What would have to happen would be for the RFL to draw a line in the sand and impose its will. It should say the County Matches are here to stay and the clubs won't be allowed to devalue them with players withdrawals and last minute injuries. 

The club game has failed to raise the profile of the sport since the creation of Super League and I can't see it doing so anytime soon.

Conferences?

You need to get inside and cool yourself down before you start proposing bringing back the Yorks and Lancs/London/Cumbria/Wales/France cups and the Captain Morgan Trophy.

You need to get inside and cool yourself down before you start proposing bringing back the Yorks and Lancs/London/Cumbria/Wales/France cups and the Captain Morgan Trophy.

You know, I would bring back the county cups.  Or at least what I'd do is lose 5-6 matches from the regular season and replace them with a NAB Cup equivalent.

You know, I would bring back the county cups.  Or at least what I'd do is lose 5-6 matches from the regular season and replace them with a NAB Cup equivalent.

Actually a mid/early-season cup does have merit for discussion but may force sides to pick and choose selections. How about a floodlight trophy played either side of the summer solstice?

Actually a mid/early-season cup does have merit for discussion but may force sides to pick and choose selections. How about a floodlight trophy played either side of the summer solstice?

That would be a marketing masterstroke: the floodlight trophy that doesn't need floodlights!

That would be a marketing masterstroke: the floodlight trophy that doesn't need floodlights!

No flies on you MH ;)

Logic, common sense and a modicum of intelligence

It's about time RL stopped trying to imitate other sporting concepts and develop their own. I'd much prefer to see: France vs England on Bastille Day for example.

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

France v England on Bastille Day? What an odd choice. Lancashire v Yorkshire would be far better (imho).

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

France v England on Bastille Day? What an odd choice. Lancashire v Yorkshire would be far better (imho).

Why would Lancashire v Yorkshire on Bastille day be better than France v England?

Hang on a sec, isn't this just the rejuvenation of a fixture/tie/concept that's already existed?

because the outside world is much more interested in internationals than a local spat between 2 counties they don't live in or care about

Why would Lancashire v Yorkshire on Bastille day be better than France v England?

Yeh, I'm sure you didn't understand what I mean?!

I couldn't give a hoot about Bastille Day, and was obviously talking about the fixture (Lancs v Yorks).

because the outside world is much more interested in internationals than a local spat between 2 counties they don't live in or care about

The outside world is about as interested as the inside world in a fixture that is incredibly one sides during the season.

The world wide interest in State of Origin ridicules that statement!

I know SoO is a huge event now but it was a 1 game non event that no one particularly cared for when it started, the difference is the ARL stuck with it and marketed the hell out of it. They also made it a Test trial and strictly adhered to its principles therefore ensuring that players wanted to be involved. Clubs were told to get in line and stop being an obstacle if they ever moaned about losing players to the SoO or subsequent injuries.

If we make this a genuine contest rather than a gimmick and we follow the lead on this one then there's no reason why we can't build an event similar to SoO out of it.

The world wide interest in State of Origin ridicules that statement!

I know SoO is a huge event now but it was a 1 game non event that no one particularly cared for when it started, the difference is the ARL stuck with it and marketed the hell out of it. They also made it a Test trial and strictly adhered to its principles therefore ensuring that players wanted to be involved. Clubs were told to get in line and stop being an obstacle if they ever moaned about losing players to the SoO or subsequent injuries.

If we make this a genuine contest rather than a gimmick and we follow the lead on this one then there's no reason why we can't build an event similar to SoO out of it.

If we were to pursue a LvY concept then why not pay the players well, make it a proper international trial and share any profits with the SL clubs.

State of Origin is huge amongst rugby league fans.  It is of no interest to the casual sports fan.

To generate interest in Crawley in a game between Queensland and NSW or between Yorks and Lancs is very difficult.  To get an interest in England vs anyone is far simpler.  Also, NSW v Queensland covers most of Australia, whereas Yorks vs Lancs cover only a small part of Britain.

State of Origin is huge amongst rugby league fans. It is of no interest to the casual sports fan.

To generate interest in Crawley in a game between Queensland and NSW or between Yorks and Lancs is very difficult. To get an interest in England vs anyone is far simpler. Also, NSW v Queensland covers most of Australia, whereas Yorks vs Lancs cover only a small part of Britain.

Agree with all this plus SoO has diminished the importance of the international game. We tend to trace international rl by the events over here, look at when origin really took off and trace the lower phases the Aussies have put on internationals since then.