Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Would you go swimming in a lake, river or quarry?

40 posts in this topic

Breaking news says another person is missing in a lake in the Lake District, with another one rescued. With the current heatwave continuing, it seems some people don't heed the warnings. Do you ever chance it to cool off?

I have swam in Windermere may years ago. Boy it was cold. Wouldn't do it now though, turned nesh in my old age.

It surprises me that when people want to cool off they don't use their shower or bath at home?

Done all three, as well as the North Sea many times and Princes Dock in Hull city centre many years ago on a warm summer's evening.

on a warm summer's evening.

On a train bound for nowhere

Done all three, as well as the North Sea many times and Princes Dock in Hull city centre many years ago on a warm summer's evening.

I knew there was summat fishy about you.

We used to dive in the locks on the canal years ago. Never mind drowning, I'm amazed we never hit an old pram or something.

We used to dive in the locks on the canal years ago. Never mind drowning, I'm amazed we never hit an old pram or something.

If you swim in canals be aware of Weils disease

Yes, I would and have, although I'd avoid quarries these days. Unsurprisingly, knowing what you are doing helps, as does being a regular swimmer, understanding thermoclines and realising how cold the water can be not far below the surface.

If you swim in canals be aware of Weils disease

I certainly wouldn't dream of it now and it was only the ignorance of youth that drove it (plus not having the cash for the swimming baths, council estate types you see)

If you are a decent swimmer then I can't see the problem. There is no tide in a quarry or lake. Have swam in Ullswater as a kid.

Unsurprisingly, knowing what you are doing helps, as does being a regular swimmer, understanding thermoclines and realising how cold the water can be not far below the surface.

There is the crux of the issue for mine; knowing how to take care of yourself is vitally important.

I knew there was summat fishy about you.

Speaking of which, our kid wasn't too happy. He was trying to catch some at the time.

There are many quarries where I live.  When I was a kid, one in particular had a pool at the bottom which we used to swim in.  We made a raft of old oil drums and pallets.  We called the pond the "blue lagoon" because it was blue. God knows what was in it to turn it blue, but we never came to any harm. 

The people who get in to difficulty are usually unused to swimming in cold water, even if they are decent swimmers. The shock of the cold and hyperventilation causes some people to panic with predictable results.

There are currents in lakes, as well as in rivers and canals. The most sensible way to swim in a lake, if you are unused to cold water, is to swim close to the lakeside where it is warmer in the shallower water, rather than out towards the middle. Go a few feet down in a lake even in a long, hot summer and it is very cold. Another tip is to enter the water slowly, so the body can adjust to the cold.

Keep swimming.

'Wild' swimming has become more popular recently, with books and even programmes on the BBC about it.  Not sure its quite the same as tomb stoning into a res mind you!

There are many quarries where I live.  When I was a kid, one in particular had a pool at the bottom which we used to swim in.  We made a raft of old oil drums and pallets.  We called the pond the "blue lagoon" because it was blue. God knows what was in it to turn it blue, but we never came to any harm. 

Not this one I hope:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22843481

Been in all types. Possibly not always the smartest move considering where I live but eh...

There are many quarries where I live. When I was a kid, one in particular had a pool at the bottom which we used to swim in. We made a raft of old oil drums and pallets. We called the pond the "blue lagoon" because it was blue. God knows what was in it to turn it blue, but we never came to any harm.

Probably copper sulphate

If you are a decent swimmer then I can't see the problem. There is no tide in a quarry or lake. Have swam in Ullswater as a kid.

It's been said that many decent swimmers drown in such as rivers and quarries. One problem seems to be the reaction on the body to the cold water.

As a youngster, I would go swimming in the 'hotties' in St Helens canal. Pilkington Brothers used to discharge their waste hot water in the canal. Having gone bust, a local shopkeeper threw all his tropical fish in and they survived for some years. 

I swam in this one just a few weeks ago. It was still very cold.in May though, hardly surprising since they still had snow in April.

Blue_Lake_near_Friog_-_geograph.org.uk_-

I swam in this one just a few weeks ago. It was still very cold.in May though, hardly surprising since they still had snow in April.

Where is it Frank?