Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vasile Andreica

Rugby League rules - some proposals from a new fan

65 posts in this topic

Now that the OP has shown bona fides can we go back to discussing some of the suggestions? I have always been agnostic on the 10 metre rule and would be interested in seeing how a game with restricted tacklers in 5 metres would work. Not that it's likely to happen.

Let's meet in the middle and go to 7.5m.

If I had the chance to organise a trial game I woukd like to see how things worked with a 5m tackle retreat rule and a shot clock with maybe 60 seconds of possession per team instead of six tackles. I believe this would really encourage skill, speed and flair and possibly make the game more unpredictable. Instead of awarding a penalty kick the ref could instead add a set amount of time to the clock.

If I had the chance to organise a trial game I woukd like to see how things worked with a 5m tackle retreat rule and a shot clock with maybe 60 seconds of possession per team instead of six tackles. I believe this would really encourage skill, speed and flair and possibly make the game more unpredictable. Instead of awarding a penalty kick the ref could instead add a set amount of time to the clock.

Not sure about this. In my opinion, the 6-tackle rule is very good and needs no tweaking. A time limit for possesion is never used in any form of football.

Not sure about this. In my opinion, the 6-tackle rule is very good and needs no tweaking. A time limit for posession is not used in any form of football.

I agree theres nothing wrong with 6 tackles, it was just a random musing :)

In the NRL today, Broncos-Cowboys game, 18-16 with 20 seconds to go, with the Broncos trying to delay anything, Cowboys got a penalty in their half. Long kick, new set at about 25 metres from the goal line. Passes, line break attempt, tackle, game over.

A full set would have been very exciting, to say the least.

Let's meet in the middle and go to 7.5m.

Well Lee Briers was remonstrating with the ref in the Warrington Hudds game that they were 8 metres back so maybe they have split the difference and told no one.

Well Lee Briers was remonstrating with the ref in the Warrington Hudds game that they were 8 metres back so maybe they have split the difference and told no one.

What I heard him saying was "YOU were 8 metres" (emphasis mine)

In the NRL today, Broncos-Cowboys game, 18-16 with 20 seconds to go, with the Broncos trying to delay anything, Cowboys got a penalty in their half. Long kick, new set at about 25 metres from the goal line. Passes, line break attempt, tackle, game over.

A full set would have been very exciting, to say the least.

but it was i assume still exciting with one final play.

but it was i assume still exciting with one final play.

As I said, the game is pretty good as it is now. It may only need some fine tuning :)

Credit where it's due, this guy is certainly putting a lot of effort in to this character.

As I said, the game is pretty good as it is now. It may only need some fine tuning :)

we need to be very careful as sometimes even a minor change can have a major impact.

Credit where it's due, this guy is certainly putting a lot of effort in to this character.

Don't we all? Every day.

Instead of debating about new rules to be, I'd like to know what you think about the new "rule" about advantage that is being used this year. This situations cause endless discussions in Union so I always watched carefully how the matter was dealt in rugby league, and to my knowledge league referees are allowing this year more time to see if a real advantage is gained. Is this good for you ?

Not sure about this. In my opinion, the 6-tackle rule is very good and needs no tweaking. A time limit for possesion is never used in any form of football.

In soccer, the goalkeeper can only hold the ball for a limited amount of time.

In soccer, the goalkeeper can only hold the ball for a limited amount of time.

Forgot about it. And there's the time limit to start a play in American football. But I can't recall a "shot clock" of sorts, like in basketball or waterpolo.