Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

216 posts in this topic

Jamie Oliver.

I've learnt a lot from Oliver

Got all his books

And he's toned his mockney down now

Got all his books

I think it's the Essex he's toned down.

Which brings us back on topic and to an earlier post I made - anyone from The Only Way Is Essex, and Made In Chelsea and all that utter sh*te.

Got all his books

I ate in one of his "Italian" places last week. It was great, decent food, fantastically relaxed, with very freindly service, an excellent childrens menu, and NOT a rip off and comparable with the likes of Pizza Express on price.

I'm not his biggest fan, but the expereience was a very positive one, his books are tremendous for a modest home cook like me, and the work he did with school meals took some balls.

I've bumped in to him a number of times and he wasn't a tosser.

I ate in one of his "Italian" places last week. It was great, decent food, fantastically relaxed, with very freindly service, an excellent childrens menu, and NOT a rip off and comparable with the likes of Pizza Express on price.

I'm not his biggest fan, but the expereience was a very positive one, his books are tremendous for a modest home cook like me, and the work he did with school meals took some balls.

Jamie Oliver

The Cons: Irritatingly laddish TV style and awful, forced jocularity in his books.

The Pros: The recipes are excellent, he's a talented cook and he's put his reputation and his own money behind good causes.

In balance, a Good Thing.

I'm not his biggest fan, but the expereience was a very positive one, his books are tremendous for a demodest home cook like me, and the work he did with school meals took some balls.

Seconded

I'd hazard a guess that Kerry Katona has made 10 times what Mark Wright has out of being a pro-celebrity. With Katie Price you could probaby multiply it by 20.

Men are very much the poorer partner when it comes to talentless celebrities. The reason I think for this is because women can appeal to both sexes, the men perve on them and buy the lads mags and the women read the womens mags and buy the merchandise. I doubt very many straight males have an interest in Mark Wright enough to buy a magazine with him in it or read his book (I'm sure he's got one somewhere).

I originally replied to the all too frequent accusation of misogyny (literally women-hating) that was directed at members of this board. I was pointing out why I think women appear more frequently in this thread and it is because when it comes to jobs where there are either a lot of candidates (news, weather) or jobs that require little talent (TV presenting) women will be more often picked for their looks. The men on the other hand will more often be picked because of personality, humour or distinguished career.

Look at the One show. The males that have presented the show have been known before the show: Chiles (Business, Football), Chris Evans, Jason Manford (comedian) and now Matt Baker (Blue Peter, Countryfile). Only Baker could be classed as being chose for anything other than personality.

Then look at the women that have been picked, Nadia Sawalha, Bleakley (largely regional TV), Alex Jones (largely regional Welsh TV), Myleene Klass. Only Sawalha really fits the category of being picked for her personality rather than looks.

It's the classic Big Breakfast line-up, funny male host with sexy female host. Men can be just as talentless and the reason I think there are less is because less are picked purely because they are good looking.

I didn't accuse you personally of misogyny. My comment was referring the the fact that almost twice as many women as men were deemed talentless when I posted. It was also posted with a question mark because it was the topic of the day on Radio 5live.

I pulled you up personally because you stated that there are no male equivalents. You made that statement, I didn't accuse you of anything.

You also seem to think Rylan isn't applicable because you don't watch big brother.

And again the above comment. Women are picked for looks and men are picked for talent

So essentially a celebrity is someone you know. If it's a women, she got there because she's got looks and if it's a man he's more than likely been picked for his talent.

Do you have any other insightful evidence as to why women are more talentless than men?

any tv chef- mainly the fat tongued one - yes you can cook- I don't need to watch you do your job though

Ah so you mean jamie Oliver

Im surprised you didn't know his name he's very famous

Which one is which. Can't stand the wet one, just want to shout at him to man up. No bloke should be that wet.

Myers is the one with the Barrow accent, Si is the Geordie.

Celebrity Masterchef, caught the last five minutes, and genuinely had no idea who three out of the four were.

Janet Street-Porter being the only one I knew.

Myers is the one with the Barrow accent, Si is the Geordie.

That really doesn't narrow it down. ;)

I suddenly like Dave. He has talent. Did you get chance to look at his feet an indulge your fetish?

I try not to indulge my fetish on Sundays when I'm watching rugby (unfortunately the urge sometimes overrides my willpower.)

And again the above comment. Women are picked for looks and men are picked for talent

So essentially a celebrity is someone you know. If it's a women, she got there because she's got looks and if it's a man he's more than likely been picked for his talent.

Do you have any other insightful evidence as to why women are more talentless than men?

I think you should re-read Max's comments. He was talking about TV presenters and I'd say he was right on the money. Women TV presenters are usually talentless but pretty whereas their male counterparts are generally less good looking but have something about them.

Now you've taken that to be a statement about "Slebs" in general. I'm not sure why. I doubt that anyone thinks that female singers are about as talented as their male equivalents for instance.

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

I quite like her. Only seen one episode of her show but it was quite funny. She's a fine actress and very good in Call the Midwife.

Being in line to the throne gets you a job on television? Don't take that tinfoil hat off...

Being in line to the throne gets you a job on television? Don't take that tinfoil hat off...

You're right. She had to battle past all those contemporaries who had parents working in television and the media.

I regularly check the end-of-programme credits and play a silent game of "spot the surname".

You're right. She had to battle past all those contemporaries who had parents working in television and the media.

I regularly check the end-of-programme credits and play a silent game of "spot the surname".

Yes. You either have to accept that they are genetically predisposed to be talented or that there are other forces at work which afford them opportunities....

The Beckhams kids will be extremely talented and have high profile success. I'm sure of it.

It was all going well for Richard and Judy's daughter for a while......

Her father was a naval officer

He commanded the destroyer Coventry in the Falklands war

The Coventry was sunk with considerable casualties

I'm not a big fan but I think she gets her gig on merit

She has her detractors, but also a lot of fans. Hers is one of the few successful sitcoms the BBC has had in recent years.

The hairy bikers. They did one of their set at a friend if mine's. they talk on about the food and the joy of cooking etc on camera. Then off camera another bloke comes in and actually cooks the food.

This is the worse form, since the pretend to do the job you think they do

Not true; I've seen them do a live show and they definitely do the cooking. What they do have though is a home economist who does all the boring stuff, which makes sense as I don't want to spend my money on watching someone chopping onions and peeling spuds etc.

You do know they both had successful careers before stepping in front of the cameras don't you?

She was also at school (Downe House School) with Clare Balding (who is a relative of the queen). Do people wish to also lump Claire into the Minor celebrities with no discernible talent category as she has pretty much had the same upbringing as Miranda Heart?

She was also at school (Downe House School) with Clare Balding (who is a relative of the queen). Do people wish to also lump Claire into the Minor celebrities with no discernible talent category as she has pretty much had the same upbringing as Miranda Heart?

Probably - some people's idea of the upper classes seems to be drawn almost totally from the pages of 'The Beano'.

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing.