Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

216 posts in this topic

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing.

I don't know about narrowing it down to 'British'; posting disparaging comments about successful people seems to be symptomatic of the internet in general.

Surprised that no-ones mentioned the appalling Miranda Hart yet. Maybe I'm missing something, but her show appears to be humourless dross in which every 'gag' is based on the fact that she's tall. Someone told me a while back that she's actually a member of the aristocracy and something like 17th in line to the throne, which would explain how she's managed to gain access to our television schedules despite having no talent.

I don't find her funny but clearly lots of people do. A poor example of "talentless". I'd say that a posh background actually handicaps you in comedy.

I don't find her funny but clearly lots of people do. A poor example of "talentless". I'd say that a posh background actually handicaps you in comedy.

I don't think it does

Marcus brigstocke

Alexander Armstrong

Miranda hart herself

Spring immediately to mind

It's just the route they take to fame that's different: the footlights, comedy clubs and so on

In fact it could be that working class comedians are becoming fewer with the demise of working men's clubs although there are still plenty of comedians from working class backgrounds

I don't think it does

Marcus brigstocke

Alexander Armstrong

Miranda hart herself

It's just the route they take to fame that's different: the footlights, comedy clubs and so on

In fact it could be that working class comedians are becoming fewer with the demise of working men's clubs although there are still plenty of comedians from working class backgrounds

Stephen Fry

Hugh Laurie

Essentially the Cambridge Footlights alumni.

I don't think it does

Marcus brigstocke

Alexander Armstrong

Miranda hart herself

A grand total of three.

Stephen Fry

Hugh Laurie

Essentially the Cambridge Footlights alumni.

Different generation.

Comedy took a different direction in the 80s and its never really swung back. It went from satyrising the powerful, which posh lads tended to be very good at (as they were closer to the people they satyrised), to alternative "observational comedy". I don't think you endear yourself to an audience by telling them about anecdotes from your preparatory school.

Jack Whitehouse

Michael McIntyre

Both posh.

For me; one's funny, one isn't.

Rhod Gilbert.

Welsh and working class.

Laugh? I thought I'd never start.

Endlessly whining tw@

Its a very British thing to be disparaging of success as seen on this thread. You may not like the individual concerned or their work, but many people cited on here (unfairly IMO) are very talented else they wouldn't be doing what they are doing. 

I actually think people have been pretty fair.  There have been challenges and reasons given, especially when it appears it's just a dislike rather than a clear cut lack of talent.

Can anyone explain why Christine Hamilton has a licence fee funded gig on BBC1?

Rhod Gilbert.

Welsh and working class.

Laugh? I thought I'd never start.

Endlessly whining tw@

I like him.  His show on radio Wales is generally pretty good too.  Comes over as a likeable happy go lucky lad, who recognises how lucky he's been.

A grand total of three.

not at all

they were just ones that sprang to mind immediately

Different generation.

Comedy took a different direction in the 80s and its never really swung back. It went from satyrising the powerful, which posh lads tended to be very good at (as they were closer to the people they satyrised), to alternative "observational comedy". I don't think you endear yourself to an audience by telling them about anecdotes from your preparatory school.

ben miller

mitchell and webb

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.[/quote

How?

Al Murray

I don't think I said it's impossible to be posh and successful in comedy just that it is a disadvantage rather than an advantage.[/quote

How?

Al Murray

Al Murray went to Oxbridge but I don't think he's that posh, probably middle class IMO.

I think you should re-read Max's comments. He was talking about TV presenters and I'd say he was right on the money. Women TV presenters are usually talentless but pretty whereas their male counterparts are generally less good looking but have something about them.

Now you've taken that to be a statement about "Slebs" in general. I'm not sure why. I doubt that anyone thinks that female singers are about as talented as their male equivalents for instance.

Are you having a laugh re the last paragraph? Read the thread title before wading in with your size 10's.

Are you having a laugh re the last paragraph? Read the thread title before wading in with your size 10's.

You weren't replying to the thread title, you were replying to Max's post. Perhaps you could do him the courtesy of reading it.

ame="l'angelo mysterioso" post="2760161" timestamp="1375514960"]

Al Murray went to Oxbridge but I don't think he's that posh, probably middle class IMO.

I reckon, after reading his Wikipedia entry, Al Murray is most definitely posh.

David Mitchell, on the other hand, sounds posh but isn't really.

I think in the 80's being posh was a hindrance in such a way that it meant you weren't cool or edgy (Richard Herring's often retold anecdote about his first trip to Edinburgh with the Footlights is one example) but I don't think that these days it matters at all. In fact I reckon it helps get the foot in the door with regards to TV work.

ame="l'angelo mysterioso" post="2760161" timestamp="1375514960"]

father a senior army officer and he was educated privately

I'm not referencing actual posh necessarily but non workin g class since this addresses NS's point

That tallentless smug sharky used car sales man type bloke who keeps popping up on BBC conman shows....Googles.....

Dom Littlewood, thats the guy.

How does he keep getting them gigs?

Quite surprised nobody has mention a couple of long standing Rugby League presenters in this thread. 

Just about any presenter on the find a property type shows. 

If I may sum up.  No one who is on TV  is any good. Is that it? 

Never seen what David Gest is supposed to offer.

How not to have plastic surgery

Brian Blessed.  I hear he's an actor, but everything I've seen him in he's just playing Brian Blessed shouting.

Jo Whiley. So glee and cool it's painful, loves "quality" music, but happy to promote any old tat voicing adverts for a bung of cash.

Johnny Ball's daughter as above.