Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Minor celebrities with no discernible talent

216 posts in this topic

Ben Fogel. Shot to minor celebrity status by living on an island and somehow has clung on for a decade.

Ben Fogel. Shot to minor celebrity status by living on an island and somehow has clung on for a decade.

Famous Mam. Dad featured on BBC TV and radio.

His recent series about people who gave up everything and went to live in the woods/outback/Alaskan wilds was very well presented.  I thought he did quite well at that role and it showed that he does have some talent.

Jonathan Ross

His recent series about people who gave up everything and went to live in the woods/outback/Alaskan wilds was very well presented.  I thought he did quite well at that role and it showed that he does have some talent.

Not to mention rowing across the Atlantic and taking part in a race to the South Pole. Oh, and he's  President of the Campaign for National Parks and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

There seem some very odd targets on this thread, unless of course, those nominating these people have achieved so much more in their own lives, but still find time to hang around internet forums making cheap digs at well known people. :dry:

Not to mention rowing across the Atlantic and taking part in a race to the South Pole. Oh, and he's  President of the Campaign for National Parks and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

There seem some very odd targets on this thread, unless of course, those nominating these people have achieved so much more in their own lives, but still find time to hang around internet forums making cheap digs at well known people. :dry:

Whether it's the point of the thread or not Ben Fogel really does get on my nerves!

It seems that if someone is a presenter then basically they are talentless. However the very act of presenting is for most people, a knee trembling experience.

Surely the ability to remain composed, have projection and personality under such circumstances is a talent in itself.

Whether it's the point of the thread or not Ben Fogel really does get on my nerves!

He has a similar effect on me! But to say he is talentless is wide of the mark. Especially if you compare him with the like of Jordan, Paris Hilton etc, etc, who are only famous for being famous. Or getting their kit off. Or both.

However the very act of presenting is for most people, a knee trembling experience.

Filth! :O

Isn't that what the Internet is for? ;) 

As for Ben Fogle, he's articulate, amiable and doesn't impose his personality on everything he presents. I'm not a particular fan of his work, but he's a decent presenter.

Not to mention rowing across the Atlantic and taking part in a race to the South Pole. Oh, and he's President of the Campaign for National Parks and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

I'd suggest he did/was able to do those things because he's a minor celebrity.

He presents TV segments, and they're virtually unwatchable to me as he comes over as having very little, if any, sincerity.

Others disagree.

Sue Barker. She used to play tennis and provide barely believable cover stories for Cliff. Now she is an appalling broadcaster.

Isn't that what the Internet is for? ;)

As for Ben Fogle, he's articulate, amiable and doesn't impose his personality on everything he presents. I'm not a particular fan of his work, but he's a decent presenter.

it helps if your mother is Julia Foster

Sue Barker. She used to play tennis and provide barely believable cover stories for Cliff. Now she is an appalling broadcaster.

I'd say Andrew Castle's career as some kind of expert takes a bit more explaining.

I'd say Andrew Castle's career as some kind of expert takes a bit more explaining.

Nah, he's posh, presentable and always available. I wouldn't say he's talented though.

Good call on Barker and Castle. Am I right in thinking he's the one from the awful ambulance chasing adverts?

Bob Willis. Ace bowler back on the day, miserable bitter old man as a pundit. Awful shoes.

You have just described Boycott, too. Shoe reference aside.

You have just described Boycott, too. Shoe reference aside.

There are parallels I agree. However Boycott does occasionally entertain, although usually by accident and I'm not aware whether Willis has any convictions for violence.

There are parallels I agree. However Boycott does occasionally entertain, although usually by accident and I'm not aware whether Willis has any convictions for violence.

Quite. And I don't see anyone playing 'Willis Bingo'. B)