Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

George Burgess - Incredible Stats

72 posts in this topic

At this stage I would agree that Ellis should not be in the reckoning in the second row. He had a solid enough game yesterday without posing much of an attacking threat but needs to put a consistent run of good form together to be picked.

Houghton and Higham look to be the form hookers at the moment and I'd go with something like this in the pack:

Hill 

Houghton

Graham

Westwood

S. Burgess

O'Loughlin

G. Burgess

Mossop

Higham

I would have Hill as starting prop think he's been good for a couple of years. Don't think Ellis has done enough to be considered yet and not 100% sure about Westwood. I would also say Roby needs to get some games and form under his belt before being picked.

I think Westwood has done more than enough to justify selection for England, both for England and week in week out in the SL. Even him 'off form' is still a very high standard.

Hopefully Ellis has a strong finish to the season to put himself strongly in contention, but I'm more inclined to go with the big fast dynamic players rather than technically competent players.

It's all about balancing the pack out IMO which is the toughest job Steve McNamara has.

I really don't think we need Hill and Mossop in the side. Graham and Sam Burgess will be more than comfortable doing the graft and getting through the tackles needed and making consistent metres. I'm not saying they are bad players, but they won't make any breaks or dominate the collision often enough. If they play they'll likely match the Aussies and make similar metres to what Aus do and similar tackle success rates, but Cronk and Thurston will win the game for Australia.

I'd personally go:

James Graham

Shaun Lunt/Danny Houghton

Sam Burgess

Ben Westwood

Danny Kirmond

Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow

Eorl Crabtree

George Burgess

Gareth Hock

The pack starting would likely keep the game tight in the opening quarter. When we get to the 25 minute mark we should bring 3 of the subs on to try and make an impact. Burrow makes good metres running from dummy half. He will cause them problems which they aren't used to. George Burgess as people have said is proving unstoppable at the minute hence his inclusion whilst Crabtree has played well against the Aussies previously and has gotten better since. Regarding Hock if McNamara can't handle him I'd put Crabtree in at 10, Burgess into 13, O Loughlin into 12 remove Kirmond from the squad and insert Tom Burgess into the side.

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

At the end of the day I think we need a pack which is going to punch holes in the Aussie defence. Their isn't much point in having a pack which will match the Aussies but not make any impact. We need to play the game differently to what Australia do. Australias pack does what it needs to do, it doesn't win them the game. The people wearing 6 7 9 and 1 do that for Australia. Our 6 7 9 and 1 aren't capable of winning the game which is a reality we have to face, so rather than selecting forward who will keep us in the game we need those who are going to win us it.

I think George Burgess's emergence has been my favourite thing to have happened in RL this year. I really can't wait to see him tearing into the Aussies at the WC.

Have to agree, very few times have I seen a player make such an impact especially when so young, Sam is probably one of the only others. Barring injury he should without a doubt be in the eng 17 if not there is a serious issue with mc's selections policies.

I have watched every south's game this season and he has literally smashed those players the Aussie's will be pitting against us, Bird, Lewis, Thaliday, Watmough, Miles, Shillington, humiliated Scott and Tamoh even Gallen got bumped off once or twice.

Arguably one of best props in the world at the moment and definately the most entertaining forward to watch other than Sam.

It's all about balancing the pack out IMO which is the toughest job Steve McNamara has.

I really don't think we need Hill and Mossop in the side. Graham and Sam Burgess will be more than comfortable doing the graft and getting through the tackles needed and making consistent metres. I'm not saying they are bad players, but they won't make any breaks or dominate the collision often enough. If they play they'll likely match the Aussies and make similar metres to what Aus do and similar tackle success rates, but Cronk and Thurston will win the game for Australia.

I'd personally go:

James Graham

Sam Burgess

Ben Westwood

Danny Kirmond

Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow

Eorl Crabtree

George Burgess

Gareth Hock

The pack starting would likely keep the game tight in the opening quarter. When we get to the 25 minute mark we should bring 3 of the subs on to try and make an impact. Burrow makes good metres running from dummy half. He will cause them problems which they aren't used to. George Burgess as people have said is proving unstoppable at the minute hence his inclusion whilst Crabtree has played well against the Aussies previously and has gotten better since. Regarding Hock if McNamara can't handle him I'd put Crabtree in at 10, Burgess into 13, O Loughlin into 12 remove Kirmond from the squad and insert Tom Burgess into the side.

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

At the end of the day I think we need a pack which is going to punch holes in the Aussie defence. Their isn't much point in having a pack which will match the Aussies but not make any impact. We need to play the game differently to what Australia do. Australias pack does what it needs to do, it doesn't win them the game. The people wearing 6 7 9 and 1 do that for Australia. Our 6 7 9 and 1 aren't capable of winning the game which is a reality we have to face, so rather than selecting forward who will keep us in the game we need those who are going to win us it.

Kirkmond on his form us a good shout but if we are picking players on form then Gareth Hock shouldn't even make the squad let alone the 17

I'd go

Hill

Roby

Graham

Westwood

S Burgess

O Loughlin

Subs

G Burgess Lunt Mossop Ellis

Impact from the forwards over the 80 minutes and two hookers who will attack the line rather than pass all game are essential

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

:O   Don't do that. It's not funny and it's not improbable.

I'd personally go:

James Graham

Sam Burgess

Ben Westwood

Danny Kirmond

Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow

Eorl Crabtree

George Burgess

Gareth Hock

Kirmond deserves a place in the squad based on his form over the last 18 months. If he was at a top four club /NRL club he'd of been selected IMO.

I agree with quite a few of your ideas. We're not going to 'out-spine' the Aussies. However, some NRL 'monsters' (Taylor, Kennedy etc.) are unlikely to be in Kangaroos squad so we can actually outsize them in the forwards. We could put all of our eggs in one basket so I might go:

Graham

Houghton (Roby, if fit)

Burgess G.

Westwood

Kirmond

Burgess S.

Bench

Crabtree

Burgess T.

O'Loughlin

(Undecided)

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

I don't think that I'd even bother to watch if that's, let's say, 70%+ accurate.

Morley Roby Hill

JJB Ellis

Wilkin

Subs;  Ablett

Cockayne

Ferris

Burgess (Token NRL)

Take it the Burgess would be Luke??? :sleep:

it is ridiculous that this thread even exists the squad should have been picked by now.

I really hope Roby is fit becaue his quick ptbs and running from dummy half off the back of our pack should mean we're able to make rapid metres against any side.

Christ how much gear is George on?! Decent late feet to go with that ridiculous running. Just watching those clips if he can develop a pass at the line hell be the full package. He should be definitely in the 17.

Agree he looks unstoppable.  His pass needs some development.  Would like to see him holding the ball in two hands once he breaks the line - holding it in one restricts his ability to off-load.  Although unlike with most the ball doesn't look loose under one arm, which is the usual issue.

The next 4 games for the rabbitohs are massive games against the teams in the comp with the best packs. These games and the playoffs will go a long way to showing us how far the Burgess twins have come. I would say whether they are ready to play for England in the WC but to be honest George is there already it is a chance for Tom to show he's ready as well.

I only saw the highlights of the Souths game versus cowboys but George scored a good consolation try late on. Worrying for Souths that they were beat so compehensively. Sutton one of their best players this season was injured.

Every time i've seen George play this year he's always been a handful for defences. He's nearly always made a break, or some seriously good yards that has led to quick PTBs (something he is very good at), and on the back of those PTBs Souths have made more yardage and put themselves in good positions. He's a must for the World Cup squad.

As has been mentioned earlier i'd use him off the bench when the opposition is a bit fatigued. He'll definitely make an impact.

My pack would be

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. Burgess

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'loughlin

Forwards on the bench.

G. Burgess

Mcilroum

Westwood

Every time i've seen George play this year he's always been a handful for defences. He's nearly always made a break, or some seriously good yards that has led to quick PTBs (something he is very good at), and on the back of those PTBs Souths have made more yardage and put themselves in good positions. He's a must for the World Cup squad.

As has been mentioned earlier i'd use him off the bench when the opposition is a bit fatigued. He'll definitely make an impact.

My pack would be

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. Burgess

11. Ellis

12. Hock

13. O'loughlin

Forwards on the bench.

G. Burgess

Mcilroum

Westwood

Agree with most of that apart from Hocks nowhere near that squad (although I rate him highly but his performances have not been consistent) plus McIlorum is not up to it.

Agree with most of that apart from Hocks nowhere near that squad (although I rate him highly but his performances have not been consistent) plus McIlorum is not up to it.

I agree about Hock. Mc is very good, though I wouldn't complain if they played Burrow or Houghton (who reminds me of Lee Jackson, in a good way).

I agree about Hock. Mc is very good, though I wouldn't complain if they played Burrow or Houghton (who reminds me of Lee Jackson, in a good way).

My reservation about McIlorum (if he isn't in the Ireland squad) is that the niggly stuff won't work, the Aussies will just lap it up, and if we're getting beat he might revert to type and get petulant, and probably putting us under more pressure. Let's not forget these test matches will be played under neutral refs ...or refs that are the wrong kind of neutral... I'd take Lunt and Houghton and first two choices, Roby if he's available, with McIlorum, Clark and Burrow as back-ups from now to October. Houghton has been great, Lunt has shone in a top team with good try scoring form. Clark would be a wildcard similar to George Burgess... if they're good enough, they're old enough, etc.