Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wonky

signings for next year

197 posts in this topic

Yeah your right mate but I suppose it depends who it is, the likes of Lunt & Olstrum were released by SL clubs as not good enough but you'd be delighted if either signed for your team. I'm sure there are many more like them, you just have to be careful to cherry pick the right ones.

Olstrum wasn't released by Wakefield for not being good enough!!

The SL kids Rotherham brought in were low end of the scale from Salford and Widnes and Brindle was at Wigan but waa always on the bench we need young motivated ambitious players

what about young Tom Walker who has a three year deal at Warrington local lad 18 prop would be a good Loan signing??

Olstrum wasn't released by Wakefield for not being good enough!!

The SL kids Rotherham brought in were low end of the scale from Salford and Widnes and Brindle was at Wigan but waa always on the bench we need young motivated ambitious players

what about young Tom Walker who has a three year deal at Warrington local lad 18 prop would be a good Loan signing??

Yes he was, it depends if you just mean talent wise, his attitude and professionalism weren't good enough and it isn't just talent alone that decides if you make it at the very top. There have been so many natural talents wasted because they haven't got the rest of the jigsaw to make it.

Agree with you on the Rotherham kids though, but I suppose it's hard to gauge how motivated they are until they start making the journey up for training.

apparently leigh have recently signed 3 new forwards including olly wilkes. fingers,toes and everything crossed that they might have went down a different avenue to acton.heres hoping.

If they sign Acton as well wonky they are gonna have some pack!!

agreed. best pack in the league, lets just hope we keep jamie and build our pack around him.

If they sign Acton as well as Sam Barlow certainly be a tasty ( politely speaking !) pack !! But lets not even give them any ideas . We need and want you Jamie more than them

It's ok signing them what about paying them? Players should take that into consideration when deciding who to sign for. Look at the mess down the road at the back end of this season where they were pulling players in from amateur and releasing their own due to a lack of finance.

And didn't Leigh have a very big financial mess very recently ???

And didn't Leigh have a very big financial mess very recently ???

its every other season with leigh they nearly go #### up always come back with a strong team somehow though

Hope everyone gets to read the article regarding Wakefield / Doncaster ... Fascinating stuff .

The disappointing thing about The DR arrangement for last weekend for me was that we had no Widnes players even though we were short on numbers when they were playing effectively a dead rubber. While I'm pleased for the likes of Declan who eventually got a game it really showed that Widnes looked after themselves rather than trying to help us progress. I'm aware only certain players qualified to play but it would've been nice to be able to use the ones who were available.

The disappointing thing about The DR arrangement for last weekend for me was that we had no Widnes players even though we were short on numbers when they were playing effectively a dead rubber. While I'm pleased for the likes of Declan who eventually got a game it really showed that Widnes looked after themselves rather than trying to help us progress. I'm aware only certain players qualified to play but it would've been nice to be able to use the ones who were available.

The problem was Widnes have alot of injuries and that was the reason Declan Hulme was recalled.He did ok too in defence.

I don't doubt that but there must've been other players that weren't eligible to play for us that could've been used.

The problem was Widnes have alot of injuries and that was the reason Declan Hulme was recalled.He did ok too in defence.

37 tackles and only two misses in there 20 -  where Hulmes stats for the night - 2nd highest with White - thats abit more  than Ok for your first full superleague game . I spoke to his proud grandad on Saturday morning and he told me Declan wanted to play for Wokrington on Sunday but due to his expolits on Friday was told he couldnt - shame really but TBF would it have made much of a difference ?? the problem as I see it is this - Workington didnt have enough DR players in the pool that where eligible to play in the play offs - given that the coaches knew the predicament with guys on holiday and injuries I think the buck stop with them .Also all the Widnes lads where on the ###### all weekend so there was no chance anyhow :tongue:

37 tackles and only two misses in there 20 - where Hulmes stats for the night - 2nd highest with White - thats abit more than Ok for your first full superleague game . I spoke to his proud grandad on Saturday morning and he told me Declan wanted to play for Wokrington on Sunday but due to his expolits on Friday was told he couldnt - shame really but TBF would it have made much of a difference ?? the problem as I see it is this - Workington didnt have enough DR players in the pool that where eligible to play in the play offs - given that the coaches knew the predicament with guys on holiday and injuries I think the buck stop with them .Also all the Widnes lads where on the ###### all weekend so there was no chance anyhow :tongue:

Ok is done well because I am a big critic.I only say very good if the all round game Stood out,and he missed 2 tackles.lol

Probably wouldn't have made a huge difference but you never know. I will say that you can only increase the size of the pool of players that are eligible if they're made available to you often enough.

I don't doubt the coaches would've loved to have Lawton, Allen and leuluai available more often but the rest of the forwards that were on offer were no better than what we had so it was catch 22 as it would've ###### off our own players had the likes of davies and Kavanagh been picked ahead of them earlier in the season to get the required number of games under their belts.

Probably wouldn't have made a huge difference but you never know. I will say that you can only increase the size of the pool of players that are eligible if they're made available to you often enough.

I don't doubt the coaches would've loved to have Lawton, Allen and leuluai available more often but the rest of the forwards that were on offer were no better than what we had so it was catch 22 as it would've ###### off our own players had the likes of davies and Kavanagh been picked ahead of them earlier in the season to get the required number of games under their belts.

The problem with Dual is if a player just comes for a game or two you won't see their ability.Takes time to gel whoever you are to be honest.Leuluai was good at your place, but to be honest very average player at Widnes.

The problem with Dual is if a player just comes for a game or two you won't see their ability.Takes time to gel whoever you are to be honest.Leuluai was good at your place, but to be honest very average player at Widnes.

come on the likes of davies and kavanagh could have played 20 games and still not been good enough. its difficult for a half back to stand out after a game or 2, but i dont think that applies to a forward, making good yards and being solid in defence is all that was needed from them, and them 2 never delivered.

come on the likes of davies and kavanagh could have played 20 games and still not been good enough. its difficult for a half back to stand out after a game or 2, but i dont think that applies to a forward, making good yards and being solid in defence is all that was needed from them, and them 2 never delivered.

Davies has been released and is ###### anyway.To be fair to Kavanagh I never thought much of him. But the last 3 games has been pretty good for Widnes.I judge what see in games and you can see why Betts got rid of Davies because he is very lazy.

Anyway we need another decent prop at Widnes for next year and can you suggest any from the Championship?