Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gav Wilson

Knights v Sheffield Eagles

Send us your thoughts on our huge home game with Sheffield & you could be in the matchday magazine! ‪#‎13Knights‬

Who should play?

How should we play?

What do you think will happen?

Any good York v Sheffield memories?

Shall we have some predictions too?

Score:

First Tryscorer:

MOM:

Att:

Sonny Nickle's debut. Winning 21-0 at Wiggington Road on Good Friday 1989 in a key promotion game

That's going back a while, was stood on the crumbling Clarence Street terracing with my Grandad watching that match.

If I remember right, Knights first win since reforming was against Sheffield, in 2003 Arriva Trains Cup - might even have been at Bramall Lane if I remember right? Beat them at home in the group stage too, but lost both times to Eagles in the league that year.

Could be tempted to go with the same 17, but might depend on how Sully & Nathan 

are injury wise, but also need to consider we are playing again 4 days later.

I remember a forward playing for Sheffield with a baby arm and he tore us to shreds, going back a while.

Memory isn't as hot as it used to be John but think that may have been Derek Bridge? Seem to think he had polio when young hence the arm but he used to tuck the ball under his strong arm and smash tacklers with his shoulder ( or was it vice versa?)

Sure that most people who saw him play reckoned that without the disability he would have been a top player, at least as good as Sonny Nickle who was in the same mould.

Memory isn't as hot as it used to be John but think that may have been Derek Bridge? Seem to think he had polio when young hence the arm but he used to tuck the ball under his strong arm and smash tacklers with his shoulder ( or was it vice versa?)

Sure that most people who saw him play reckoned that without the disability he would have been a top player, at least as good as Sonny Nickle who was in the same mould.

That's the lad Peter, you do alright for an old en lol.

That's the lad Peter, you do alright for an old en lol.

The old brain is now saying "Bridgeman" John, but anyway the lad was amazing and was always hard to handle. I'll go and lay down again now! 

He played for the Eagles in Tubby's earlier appearances for the club, Roy Rafferty was their goal kicking winger and John Glancy from Selby played in the back row for them. There was also that bloke Cholmondley whose name was pronounced 'Chumley'. Ask Tubs on Sunday, he'll tell ya.

Loved the quote from Mark about his son, Corey in RL Express this week !

"He's a young kid with an old head, that's what they used to say about me!"

Actually Mark, they used to say you were a young kid with old legs !! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: 

( Dont tell him or it'll cost me a pint or two of Guinness on Sunday !! )

Last nights results:

Leigh 11 - Fax 4

Sheffield 36 - Worky 0

Sheffield rested Armstrong, Henderson & Taulapapa last night

Worky had a man sent off after 20 mins: think they did well considering they were late getting to the ground and had a few players missing.

Sully possibly fit for Sunday, but not Freer, Brining doubtful, Fordy outside chance,

no Dougie again

Matt Nicko in under 20's side tomorrow

Since that went to print, it's all change. See tomorrow's Press...!