Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

31/7-4/8/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

51 posts in this topic

Discuss all this week's Kingstone Press Championship 1 games here.

WEDNESDAY 31 JULY
University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Hemel Stags        19:30
at Lyndey RFC

SUNDAY 4 AUGUST
Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders    15:00
Hemel Stags v Oxford    15:00
London Skolars v Oldham    15:00
Rochdale Hornets v South Wales Scorpions    15:00

Gloucestershire All Golds v Hemel Stags (7.30pm)

Gloucestershire All Golds coach Brad Hepi is aiming for a third league win of the season to haul his side within one point of Gateshead Thunder at the foot of the Kingstone Press Championship One table.
Hepi’s men collected a bonus point for their 35-28 defeat against London Skolars on Sunday.
Now Hepi, who will assess his squad’s fitness on Tuesday, is hoping to go one step further in Wednesday’s clash with Hemel Stags.
Stags are at full strength after two weeks off, but coach Troy Perkins is uncertain about his side’s reaction to an extended period without action.
Perkins said: “It’ll work in one of two ways: we’ll either be really fresh after a couple of weeks off, or we might be a bit off the pace. Hopefully it works in a positive way.
“We’ve five games to go and we want to do well in all of them.
“Gloucestershire have put a couple of good wins together and came back late on against the Skolars, so they’ll be full of confidence.
“They’ve managed to add a couple of quality players to their squad and they’re going to be a very tough test, but if we get a result we can move back up to third place. That’s our focus.”

My predictions are:

Wednesday

Hemel win

Sunday

Crusaders win

Oxford win but Hemel get BP

Skolars win but Oldham get BP

Hornets win

My predictions are:

Wednesday

Hemel win

Sunday

Crusaders win

Oxford win but Hemel get BP

Skolars win but Oldham get BP

Hornets win

Ha ha ha. Gateshead win no bonus point for crusaders.

Oldham win not bothered if skolars get bp.

Rest as above.

Well!!?? He started it.

No, both Oldham and Crusaders will win.

Who would have believed it rugby league on Severn Street! First ever professional game I think in the Forest of Dean at Lydney tonight. I tried to get something off the ground back in the 80's at nearby Cinderford but the open gang way was not truly established then. A few blokes in time headed north from this old former mining community but Lydney RFC hosting the game takes the biscuit. Well done Lionel!

I've got the programme from the original Gloucestershire .v. Hemel game that was postponed. Does anybody know if a new one is being printed for tonight's game or will they be using the same one. Hemel will beat Gloucestershire and Oxford but both will get bonus points. Crusaders will deny Gateshead a bonus point and Hornets will win by 24. The game at Skolars is a tough one to call but I believe it is more important to Oldham than to Skolars. Tempted to predict a draw, and last time I did, it happened, but Oldham to win with a Lewis Palfrey drop goal. I would be happy enough with the other predictions being correct but hope I am wrong about the Skolars game and it is a home win.

Ha ha ha. Gateshead win no bonus point for crusaders.

Oldham win not bothered if skolars get bp.

Rest as above.

Well!!?? He started it.

No, both Oldham and Crusaders will win.

Skolar had a good win last week, are in confident mood and have their new signing Gareth Raynor playing. I don't see a win for Oldham.  And, no, it wasn't just because I support North Wales Crusaders, it is my genuine prediction.  Your turn!!! :D

Cru win by quite a few (hopefully not) but cant see any other result there!

Hemel by 20 v Gloucester

Hemel by 10 against Oxford

St Helens Reserves by 8 against SWS

Oldham by 6 in a hard fought game.

Its been a pretty good season overall, far more competitive than i think a lot of us expected.

I'll take a stab at the old predictions. May the wisest man win!

Stags to beat All Golds

Cru to beat Thunder

Oxford to squeeze past Stags by a point or two (hope that isnt the case but think fatigue might tell late on)

Hornets to beat Scorps

Think Skolars-Oldham will be very close. Hmm, toughy. I'll go with Oldham win,Skolars BP

Skolar had a good win last week, are in confident mood and have their new signing Gareth Raynor playing. I don't see a win for Oldham. And, no, it wasn't just because I support North Wales Crusaders, it is my genuine prediction. Your turn!!! :D

even so, you must agree that we had a far better win and that crusaders are a much better team than skolars even with Raynor. :D

even so, you must agree that we had a far better win and that crusaders are a much better team than skolars even with Raynor. :D

How many times do you want congratulating!!!!  Yes as I have said, on here and on the Oldham forum, you beat us fair and square and deserved your win. North Wales Crusaders have the upper hand on Skolars SO FAR this season, but after last seasons embarrassment at their place I'm not rushing to shout that we are going to beat them.  They are a tough side to break down (see the Northern Rail Bowl footage) and at home will be a tough prospect. I still say Skolars will beat Oldham, with home advantage, a fully fit squad to pick from and momentum from their league wins.

How many times do you want congratulating!!!! Yes as I have said, on here and on the Oldham forum, you beat us fair and square and deserved your win. North Wales Crusaders have the upper hand on Skolars SO FAR this season, but after last seasons embarrassment at their place I'm not rushing to shout that we are going to beat them. They are a tough side to break down (see the Northern Rail Bowl footage) and at home will be a tough prospect. I still say Skolars will beat Oldham, with home advantage, a fully fit squad to pick from and momentum from their league wins.

not after congratulations. Just putting my point of view. I don't think your analysis and reasons for a skolars win is sound. Yes they may win but the odds are they won't.

Sounds like the All Golds -v- Stags game is a toughie.  Hopefully the match is a good one to watch given its location!

not after congratulations. Just putting my point of view. I don't think your analysis and reasons for a skolars win is sound. Yes they may win but the odds are they won't.

That's what's so good about the forum - your allowed to have different opinions. Mine is different to yours on this occasion, but it doesn't make mine any less valid. I don't bet so haven't seen the odds.

Well done to Hemel tonight on their win against GAG at Lydney RFC, looked like a reasonable turnout for a Wednesday night too (367).

SUNDAY 4 AUGUST

Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders 15:00

Hemel Stags v Oxford 15:00

London Skolars v Oldham 15:00

Rochdale Hornets v South Wales Scorpions 15:00

NWC win by 40 plus.

Hemel win and Oxford bp

Hornets win by 30 plus

Oldham v London. We historically struggle in the capital but this game will be very close. Oldham win by 4

i think the bowl final took a lot out of both teams including injuries so i think this week it will be far tougher.

Really looking forward to our game v crusaders...after a draw and a win the team now have confidence this is our best squad in 4years...sunday will be very tough though i dont think we will get hammered i think it could be closer than people predict well i hope haha roll on sunday...come on thunder! Come on thunder!!

St Helens Reserves by 8 against SWS

I think you'll find we're playing Wigan reserves...

Gateshead Thunder by 4   
Hemel by 20
London Skolars by 14
Hornets by 20

Cru due for a slip

Oxford are awful

Skolars are ugly as sin, but tough to beat at home

"Its been a pretty good season overall, far more competitive than i think a lot of us expected."

"Skolars are ugly as sin, but tough to beat at home."

Two great lines here from the heartlands. First tells us all we wanted to know from the 'dreaded/doomed c1'

For long time too many have just dismissed Skolars as deadbeats/irrelevant. Super back handed compliment!

If that crowd figure at Lydney confirmed - great news. Looked up in local rag down there & they give a good match build up. Apparently Lydney intend to run a side in next years local comp giving the GAGs three feeder entities along with Gloucester based Warriors & Cheltenham based St Patesians. All good stuff.

PREVIEWS

Gateshead Thunder v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

Gateshead Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour could name an unchanged squad for Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One fixture with North Wales Crusaders.
Gateshead are aiming for a Welsh double, having won 36-30 at South Wales Scorpions last week.
Neighbour said: “That result is a massive boost for us. For long periods of the first half we were by far the better team, and we took our chances when they came.”
North Wales are aiming to respond to a rare defeat, having lost 28-10 at Oldham.
Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths said: “We were flat and we got what we deserved.
“The players know we’ve got to get a certain number of points in the next five games, but it’s still in our hands.”
On Gateshead, he added: “They’ve a few new players in their team since we last played them and they were pretty impressive against South Wales. We’ll be giving them plenty of respect.”
Stuart Reardon (ruptured Achilles tendon) is out for the rest of the season.

Hemel Stags v Oxford (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags coach Troy Perkins insists Oxford’s 54-12 defeat at Rochdale Hornets is not an accurate reflection of Tony Benson’s side.
Perkins said: “They got beat pretty heavily, but they’re battling away to try to secure a play-off position.
“They’re going to come here ready to improve on last week’s performance.
“I’ve got a lot of respect for Tony Benson and he’ll have them very well prepared. They’ll be targeting this game, but we’re also aiming for a top four position.”
Perkins will check on his squad’s fitness after Wednesday’s 28-18 win at Gloucestershire All Golds.
Oxford coach Benson has injury worries over Martin Roden (bicep), Danny Halliwell (broken nose), Jonny Leather (back) and Valu Bentley (ankle).
Benson said: “We need a response this week. What I’m looking for is just a bit of a reaction when things don’t go right.”

London Skolars v Oldham (3.00pm)

London Skolars could be unchanged for Sunday’s visit of Oldham as coach Joe Mbu aims to keep the pressure on the top three.
Hemel’s win on Wednesday saw them leapfrog the Skolars into third place, but Mbu is confident his side can finish the season well.
Mbu said: “We had a very positive first half against Gloucestershire (last week).
“We’ll have to be good again this week because Oldham are a very good side.
“They keep coming from minute one to minute 80, and that’s what we’ve got to do in response.
“We’ve got to turn up on the day and deliver what we need to.”
Mbu has also praised former Great Britain winger Gareth Raynor after he scored on his Skolars debut.
Mbu said: “A neutral person watching that game wouldn’t have spotted that it was his first game with the squad. He fitted in and did what he needed to do. There’s not much more that you can ask for.”
Oldham coach Scott Naylor is facing a couple of selection headaches as Richard Lepori and Jason Boults battle to be included in Sunday’s squad.
Naylor said: “I’ve got a fully-fit squad so once again I’ll have some tough decisions to make.”

Rochdale Hornets v South Wales Scorpions (3.00pm)

Chris Tyrer (groin) is Rochdale’s only absentee as the Hornets prepare to host South Wales Scorpions in Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One fixture.
Hornets coach Ian Talbot said: “Other than Chris, we should be a pretty similar 17 to last week.
“You’d imagine South Wales will be wanting to right a few wrongs, but we’ve changed the focus this year on to what we’re doing, rather than worrying too much about the opposition.
“We just need to keep improving week on week. If we keep doing that, we’ll end up where we deserve to be.”
Connor Farrer and Andy Powell could both feature for South Wales, but David James (back) is unavailable for selection.
South Wales coach Dave Clark said: “The players know what the need to do.
“We had a disappointing July and we know that we should be higher in the table. We have the quality of players in the side.
“We made too many mistakes against Gateshead last week. If we can put that right against Rochdale then we’ll be in with a chance of taking all three points.”

This season has been pretty much a disaster for Scorpions, after promising so much more. Going through 60 odd players now and key players leaving for other sides and the debacle against Gateshead the final straw really. Whether the standard of the division has improved on last season is widely open to debate (or derision) but it has surely become by far the most competitive division in the game at present. On any given day, bottom can beat top. The game at Lydney last night, whilst I dispute their being 300+ people there (including our Spartans junior side), there were many locals and a gate which comfortably must beat the usual crowd in Cheltenham which seemed to be warmly received.

I would rather Wigan went away and we played all our own players (rather than academy players) rather than being messed about not knowing who is coming down each week and has to take the place of one of the locals. Atleast then when we get well beaten we can say atleast they are ours