Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

eddie cochran

51 posts in this topic

I would never listen to music on a mobile phone, how soulless.

What does have a soul?

I would like to know how enjoying music is dependent upon the device that you choose to listen to it on. I suspect BB is a hipster type where only vinyl or medium wave is acceptable.

What does have a soul?

Hubert Parry's setting of the  poem by Henry Vaughan 

My soul, there is a country 

Far beyond the stars, 

Where stands a winged sentry 

All skilful in the wars:

I would like to know how enjoying music is dependent upon the device that you choose to listen to it on. I suspect BB is a hipster type where only vinyl or medium wave is acceptable.

Just got back from walking m'dogs

Had my I phone plugged in and cranked up

Dustbowl by joe biamassa rocking out

Followed by Dylan's blood on the tracks

A Little Walter compilation

Followed by Sam And Dave's Greatest Hits

Seemed loud enough to me

Hubert Parry's setting of the poem by Henry Vaughan

My soul, there is a country

Far beyond the stars,

Where stands a winged sentry

All skilful in the wars:

Isn't that entitled 'Ode To A Nightclub Bouncer,?

Just Spotifying Cochran on my Kindle.

well, I hope you've washed your hands!

Just Spotifying Cochran on my Kindle.

I don't have a kimble either and suspect I never will feel the void in my life to desire such an object

oh, you will, you will..unless you are a fan of the Championship, contested scrums, striking at the PTB, 5 metre lines, unlimited PTBs etc

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, August 3, 2013 - No reason given

I don't have a kimble either and suspect I never will feel the void in my life to desire such an object

so what?

Just read some Balzac on it and then got a top score in pinball. If Sky Go worked on it I'd be in heaven.

so what?

36d -so what?

36d -so what?

I'm not interested in your bra size

people enjoy music: it's up to them how they enjoy it

same with reading.

I'm not interested in your bra size

people enjoy music: it's up to them how they enjoy it

same with reading.

you seem more interested in me than in yourself -explain?

you seem more interested in me than in yourself -explain?

to you I might.

it isn't my fault that you have loneliness issues. I sympathise.

anyway if people enjoy music by listening to it on their phone, or enjoy using a kindle whar;s the bef?

and mean when I'm mad, what a ridiculous song.

so what?

Humor him, he's going out of his way to show how hip he is as how anything developed after the 70s is ######.

To be fair, I was hip in the 1970's.

Nowadays, well, I'm not. I'm glad that there is still, in every community, a new in crowd and that they are basking in it. Eventually, they too will stop taking themselves seriously. The embarrassment of their previous pretensions will be offset by the memories of the decent girls they copped off with and the conviction that most modern music is inferior to that of their era. Plus ca change; plus ca le meme chose.

Probably goes for 50% of the board members.

Still, once again, I enjoyed a good night out tonight with friends that can laugh at each other and themselves. Better than sitting in front of a computer. We all need a regular therapeutic break from that.

Tomorrow is another day.

Points-scoring is only of any value if you're trying to score them off people who think that it matters. To be fair, then it is real good fun.

The first Count Basie piece I ever hear, in the mid 1950's was "The Kid From Red Bank" .  I don't even need to list to it on any hardware  to recall it in my mind. I can just play it through in my head whenever I want. No MP3, no CD, No phone,  just the thoughts.  Sure< I can play it  on hardware when I want as loud as I want, too but I don't have to do that to enjoy it. I suspect that others have similar experiences. 

To be fair, I was hip in the 1970's.

Nowadays, well, I'm not. I'm glad that there is still, in every community, a new in crowd and that they are basking in it. Eventually, they too will stop taking themselves seriously. The embarrassment of their previous pretensions will be offset by the memories of the decent girls they copped off with and the conviction that most modern music is inferior to that of their era. Plus ca change; plus ca le meme chose.

Probably goes for 50% of the board members.

Still, once again, I enjoyed a good night out tonight with friends that can laugh at each other and themselves. Better than sitting in front of a computer. We all need a regular therapeutic break from that.

Tomorrow is another day.

Points-scoring is only of any value if you're trying to score them off people who think that it matters. To be fair, then it is real good fun.

Aye, each generation has their thing. My youth has passed and I don't begrudge the current crop for enjoying their time, even though its not for me.

Aye, each generation has their thing. My youth has passed and I don't begrudge the current crop for enjoying their time, even though its not for me.

My youth has passed

:D  :D  :D

Stop whingeing like a group of old men  - I think you all rise to bait too easily and are jumping on whatever OP says - sad really

Maybe he gets on your nerves, maybe you get on his - life is too short - whatever happened to witty banter to own someone and laugh about it ?

NB this is just an example. I see more and more of it all over the main forum too - opinions reached before someone even starts to type

and they say wimmin are the bitches  :tongue:  ;)

Stop whingeing like a group of old men  - I think you all rise to bait too easily and are jumping on whatever OP says - sad really

Maybe he gets on your nerves, maybe you get on his - life is too short - whatever happened to witty banter to own someone and laugh about it ?

NB this is just an example. I see more and more of it all over the main forum too - opinions reached before someone even starts to type

and they say wimmin are the bitches  :tongue:  ;)

...and your views on Eddie Cochran?

I've removed a few of the comments in here which had veered away from the thread subject and into personal territory.

For the millionth time, please stay on topic, and do not be drawn into making personal comments about other posters whose opinions you do not share.

Thank you.

eddie cochrane was responsible for three classic popular songs of the 1950s

his performances on those songs ranged from the unsaurpassable to the mundane

summer time blues arguably his best nobody did a better version: especially the Who who's rendition was overblown. Cochran's sparse production and understaded performance caught the essence of the song perfectly

C'mon Everybody was another great song, but Cochran's performance lacked the exuberance and tocking out nature of Humble Pie's far superior version.

Somethin' Else another beauty but performed much better by The Move.

Then there was the soppy trite  three steps to heaven

the novelty cut across shorty

the unintentionally funny mean when I'm mad.

As a singer Cochrane lacked the edge of Gene Vincent and the rest, including the ersatz Elvis Presley

I've been in bands that have performed Cochrane numbers so I'm not going to be disrespectable to him, and he does deserve recognition for those three classics.

but he doesn't merit the hagiography that the original poster gives him.

IMHO naturally